Global Wireless Technology Industry Statistics
The global wireless technology industry is expanding rapidly due to increased demand for convenient wireless connectivity. Modern electronics have begun the transfer toward wireless to accommodate more hectic lifestyles with ever-greater mobility. Private individuals and business workers have increasing needs for mobile communications systems, with rising numbers of people opting for mobile devices to keep up with emails, transfer data and for entertainment purposes. It is now common for mobile devices like smartphones, laptops and tablet PCs to be equipped with Wi-Fi.
Wireless technologies are mainly concentrated on PANs, Metropolitan Area Networks, Wireless Local Area Networks and 3G/4G Wide Area Networks. These networks can be tailored to consumer needs, for example M2M communications, identity recognition and presence detection. Wireless networks make communication independent from cables and wires.
Wireless computing devices and platforms allow consumers to use traditional functions including contact management, synchronized calendars and wireless messaging, while new applications will continue to become available.
Key Market Segments
- The world wireless telecommunication services industry is forecast to reach close to $1.3 trillion by 2015, according to MarketLine, marking a 43% expansion rate in five years. Asia-Pacific represents close to a third of the global market, and China Mobile leads the market with a near 15% share.
- The global Wireless USB Devices market is forecast to reach sales of almost 11 million units in 2017, reports Global Industry Analysts. The market is being driven by Asia-Pacific demand and rising numbers of mobile internet devices.
- The world machine-to-machine (M2M) wireless module industry is expected to record yearly growth of over 54% between 2010 and 2014, according to TechNavio. Market growth is driven by regulatory initiatives and legislation, and rising demand for equipment identity register to boost security. Leading players operating in this market include SIM COM Wireless Solutions, Telit Wireless Solutions, Sierra Wireless and Cinterion Wireless Modules.
- The world wireless local are network (WLAN) in the healthcare industry is expected to record yearly growth of almost 6% through 2014, reports TechNavio. Market growth is driven by an increase in enterprise mobile-to-mobile connections. Key players operating in the market include Juniper Networks, Aruba Networks, Cisco Systems and Motorola Solutions.
- The global router market is likely to reach $36 billion by 2017, according to Global Industry Analysts. Market growth is being fuelled by workforce virtualization, enterprise mobility, legacy network upgrades and growing IP traffic. Asia-Pacific is forecast to record strong growth. State and corporate investment in telecommunications infrastructure along with competitive pricing are also driving the market.
- The global mobile application market is forecast to reach 100 billion app downloads in 2015, reports Berg Insight. It is estimated that more than 70% of overall handset shipments in 2015 will be smartphones. Mobile apps and smartphones are tightly intertwined, rising and falling in tandem. Direct app store profits are expected to grow at a yearly rate of almost 41% to reach close to $9 billion in 2015.
Consumers are demanding greater convenience to facilitate their mobile lifestyles. Connectivity for electronic devices are fuelling the High-Speed Wireless PAN Technologies market, with demand for products like wireless USBs growing steadily.
M2M communications is set to fuel growth for networks providing M2M productivity. Short range telemetry is of particular interest due to the array of advantages it offers, including low power and cost, shorter frequency ranges, and the ability to operate without physical access of a wired network. Mobile internet devices such as laptops, smartphones and tablet PCs are fuelling Personal Area Network (PANs) demand, allowing consumers to connect to mainstream networks. Wireless USB devices allowing internet connectivity will see demand rise over the coming years.
Leading Industry Associations
- The Wireless Association
- Hong Kong Wireless Technology Association
- Silicon Valley-China Wireless Technology Association
- Certified Wireless Network Professional
You might be interested in these related markets