Global Motorcycle Industry
In the global motor-vehicle sector, the motorcycle manufacturing industry generated $74 billion in 2011, according to research from MarketLine. The industry’s 3% yearly growth rate between 2007 and 2011 is forecast to rise to more than 12% between 2011 and 2016. Industry production volumes grew at a yearly rate in excess of 5% over the four-year period ending 2011, and the manufacturing side of the motorcycle industry is expected to generate more than $130 billion before the end of 2016.
Motorcycle industry statistics show that the sector was worth almost $63.5 billion in 2010, having recorded no yearly growth for the four preceding years, reports MarketLine. Market growth is expected to accelerate to a yearly rate of 6% between 2010 and 2015, to reach almost $85 billion. Overall, the motorcycle market is characterized by a high degree of fragmentation.
- The global electric motorcycle and scooter sector continues to witness increasing demand as consumers become more familiar with electric passenger cars. The electric motorcycle and scooter market is witnessing a sharp rise in competition. Urbanization in Asia-Pacific, and particularly in China, has lead to widespread use of electric motorcycle and scooter. Pike Research predicts the electric scooter market will be larger than the electric motorcycle sector in 2017 because globally electric scooters are booming in Asia Pacific, which has a total count of close to 20 million electric scooters, or close to 100% of the market.
- The US electric scooter and electric motorcycle markets are forecast to record strong growth over the next five-year period. The electric scooter market is expected to exceed 41,000, while the electric motorcycle market is predicted to reach almost 28,000 vehicles by 2017. Market growth will be driven by state incentives and regulations, fuel costs and improving consumer perception. Industry performance will also be enhanced by technological advances.
- The Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) motorcycles market will fare well over coming years. Light motorcycles represent a leading market segment, popular for their high level of power and ability to outperform many motorbikes, mopeds and scooters, reports Freedonia. Light motorcycles will maintain higher unit volume sales than any other ICE product type in the motorcycle sector. North America is forecast to record the fastest growth through 2015.
Regional Market Share
- Asia-Pacific’s motorcycle market generated more than $27 billion in 2010, having recorded 2% yearly growth for the four preceding years, reports MarketLine. In terms of market consumption volume, yearly growth over the same period reached a rate of almost 5% to hit close to 30,000 thousand units in 2010. Market performance is expected to accelerate to almost 7% a year over the five-year period ending 2015, bringing the market to $38 billion.
- The motorcycle industry in the EU region was worth almost $13 billion in 2010, according to MarketLine. The industry witnessed yearly change of around -2.5% between 2006 and 2010. There was a yearly decline of -6% in market consumption volume over the same period, with volumes amounting to almost 2.1 million units in 2010. Market growth is predicted to reach a yearly rate of around 3.5% between 2010 and 2015, when the market is expected to generate in excess of $15 billion.
- Harley-Davidson is the leader in the global motorcycle industry, and saw motorcycle retail sales increase 20% in the first quarter of 2012 year-on-year, with US growth reaching closer to 26%. The company is increasing its full-year shipment guidance, expecting to ship between 245,000 to 250,000 motorcycles in 2012 to dealers and distributors throughout the world. This increased shipment guidance is prompted by consumer demand, and a limited production capacity for additional motorcycles in 2012. Harley-Davidson predicted it would ship 79,000 to 84,000 motorcycles in the second quarter of 2012.
- Other important players currently operating in the global motorcycle market include BMW, Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India, Hero Honda Motors, Yamaha, Triumph, Kawasaki, Bajaj Auto and MBK.
The global motorcycle industry will continue to benefit from rising demand in Asia-Pacific. Though motorcycles and scooters are looked on as more of a luxury in developed markets like the US, Japan, Germany and Canada, these items are of central importance for transportation in emerging markets like China and India.
Moving forward, industry players will compete for market share on the grounds of quality and comfort. Demand for components and accessories, along with replacement sales, will continue will continue to fuel market growth.
Leading Industry Associations
- The UK Motorcycle Industry Association
- Motorcycle Industry Council
- Federation of Asian Motorcycle Industries
You might also be interested in the related industries: