Virgin Mobile Canada is a cellular phone company owned by Bell Canada but branded under the multi-company venture capital organization Virgin Group Ltd. Founded by British entrepreneur, Sir Richard Branson, and a partner, as a mail-order record retailer in 1970, Virgin Group Ltd. now owns or has a stake in 300+ companies worldwide.
Virgin employs approximately 50,000 workers in 30 countries. Among the global Virgin family are airlines, transportation services, travel agencies, music festivals, radio stations, music megastores, financial services, health clubs, healthcare groups, mobile services, “green” investments and a 6-year-old space tourism division.
Virgin Mobile Canada is a prime example of the Virgin Group’s growth over the last four decades. Virgin Mobile Canada began in 2005 as a strictly prepaid mobile phone service. Today it also provides a variety of post-paid services, and consists of special features including no-term contracts, music, messaging and other mobile content, the speedy 4G network – which covers 96% of all Canadians, and wireless internet service.
Further, Virgin Mobile Canada members enjoy benefits such as discounts in music, travel, fashion and entertainment, as well as excellent customer service.
Over 4000 locations across Canada presently provide Virgin Mobile Canada products, including new street-front Virgin Mobile stores in Montreal and Toronto. Significantly, 2007 saw the launching of Virgin United Canada, a national branch of Virgin’s global charity aiming toalleviate the suffering of people in need worldwide.
Along with the Virgin Green Fund, which invests in renewable energy and resource efficiency, and The Elders, a humanitarian group formed of distinguished global leaders, it is a key part of the Virgin Group’s charitable efforts.
- virgin.com, virginmobile.ca
According to Hoover’s Handbook of World Business 2011, in 2009, Virgin Group Ltd. reported revenues of over USD $18 billion, a slight decrease from the 2007 revenues of USD $20 billion.
- Telus Mobility, Rogers Wireless, Bell Mobility, Wind Mobile, Mobilicity
In the News
- Set for July 21, Virgin Mobile Canada will launch its first Atlantic region flagship store at the Mic Mac Mall in Halifax, NS. (newswire.ca)
- At the end of June, Saskatchewan customers obtained access to Virgin Mobile Canada’s 4G network, or “super smartphones,” providing better national network coverage, worldwide roaming and processing speeds of over 20 megabits per second with no term contract. (virginmobile.ca)
- The highly-anticipated Samsung Galaxy SII is now available for Virgin Mobile customers; its top-of-the-line features include 4.3” display, speedy dual core processor, 8mp camera, 1 GB of ram and 16 GB of internal storage. (androidcommunity.com)