Business News - part 4
BUSINESS April 12, 2013 | 5:51 PM
- First Solar plans to move into silicon solar-cell market
- $12 billion in revenue forecast for next three years
- First Solar plans to sell solar cells in Japan
Solar manufacturer First Solar Inc. has agreed to purchase TetraSun, a startup company that develops rooftop photovoltaic technology, to gain access to the crystalline silicon market.
Silicon solar cells have a 21% efficiency rating, and can be manufactured at low cost. First Solar currently produces panels manufactured from cadmium telluride and using silver electrodes, while TetraSun’s panels use copper electrodes.Read more »
BUSINESS April 11, 2013 | 5:08 PM
- Oil prices, market expansion, inflation, airport privatization to drive M&A activity upwards
- China, India, Brazil, Russia, Middle East to see highest annual growth in emerging airport markets
- Average airport supplier marketing budget to jump to $4.7 million in 2013
The global airport industry is likely to see an increase in mergers and acquisitions in 2013, according to results from a new ICD Research/Strategic Defence Intelligence report.
The Global Airports Survey 2013-2014 polled executives from the global airport sector, half of whom predicted consolidation was set to grow, stimulated by higher oil prices and expanding operations in overseas markets as well as rising inflationary pressure and airport privatization.Read more »
BUSINESS April 10, 2013 | 2:43 PM
- Number of airline complaints up 20% since 2011
- Virgin top of list for customer satisfaction
- Study finds Hawaiian Airlines best on-time carrier
A report on US airlines, finds complaints filed with the US Department of Transportation rose by over 2,000 from 2011 to hit nearly 11,450 complaints last year.
The Airline Quality Rankings Report, conducted by Wichita State University and the University of Nebraska, analyzes Department of Transportation figures on the 14 largest US airlines. It examines four categories including on-time rates, denied boarding, mishandled baggage and complaints. In total 14 airlines were evaluated, each of which carry at least 1% of passengers who flew domestically.Read more »
BUSINESS April 9, 2013 | 3:12 PM
- AstraZeneca’s rheumatoid arthritis drug Fostamatinib meets one principal goal, fails second in testing phase
- Fostamatinib part of AstraZeneca’s strategic plan to fight generic drug competition
- Analysts say that even if approved, Fostamatinib will be a secondary drug
In an advanced-stage clinical trial, Fostamatinib, an experimental drug put out by pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca Plc, demonstrated mixed results in terms of the safe and effective treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
In the company’s Oskira-1 Phase III study, Fostamatinib met one principal goal, but failed to meet the second.Read more »
BUSINESS April 8, 2013 | 10:55 AM
- Detroit Electric SP:01 vehicle to be fastest EV sports car available
- Detroit Electric to unveil other models in next few years
- Electric-car market small in US, worldwide
Electric-car manufacturer Detroit Electric has unveiled plans for its SP:01 sports car, the world’s fastest pure electric production vehicle, which has been in development for five years.
The SP:01 will have a top speed of 155 miles per hour and can go 190 miles between charges. Unlike most electric cars, it will feature a four-gear transmission. The vehicle recharges in four hours and retails for $135,000.Read more »
BUSINESS April 5, 2013 | 1:48 PM
- Zynga to offer UK residents over 18 access to real money games “ZyngaPlusPoker” and “ZyngaPlusCasino”
- Zynga aims to offer next-generation, real-money games on multiple platforms in regulated markets worldwide
- Online gambling in US could reach $7.4 billion annually by 2017
Social games service provider Zynga Inc. has introduced two real-money games in the UK, hoping to gain back revenue lost elsewhere on the internet.
UK residents over 18 will have access to “ZyngaPlusPoker”and “ZyngaPlusCasino” via the internet and a desktop download. Bwin.Party Digital Entertainment Plc. will power the games as well as handle the gaming license and security. Poker players will also be able to play against users of Bwin-owned games.Read more »
BUSINESS April 4, 2013 | 5:02 PM
- February US factory bookings highest in five months
- Bookings boosted by aircraft and motor vehicle orders
- Economists predict March may not keep up pace
US factories saw a 3% increase in bookings in February, the largest in five months, says the US Commerce Department. The increase was attributed to demand for commercial aircraft and motor vehicles.
Durable goods, or goods meant to last at least three years, saw a 5.6% increase, almost half the total factory demand. Automobile sales are on pace to have the best year since 2007, selling cars and light trucks at a 15.3 million annual rate and rising 1.4%. Meanwhile, commercial aircraft grew 95.1%.Read more »
BUSINESS April 3, 2013 | 3:46 PM
- Foxconn to manufacture Google’s Project Glass digital eyeglasses
- Orders from Google could help reduce Foxconn’s reliance on Apple products
- Google’s decision comes on heels of President Obama’s request for more US-manufactured technology products
Search engine technology giant Google Inc. will reportedly have its high-tech glasses, known as “Project Glass”, manufactured by the Taiwanese company Foxconn Technology Group at its flagship factory in California.
Google’s highly touted computerized spectacles have been referred to as the future of mobile computing by Google’s co-founder Sergey Brin. In reports from the project’s website, apparently fashion designers, pilots, acrobats and skydivers have been brought in by Google to demonstrate how the eyeglass computers work.Read more »
BUSINESS April 2, 2013 | 5:32 PM
- More BlackBerry 10 units sold than analysts expected, boosting revenue
- Nearly 55% of buyers coming from other platforms
- New model redesigned to feature in-demand apps, internet browsing and multimedia
Research In Motion Ltd., the manufacturer of the BlackBerry smartphone, has seen success in with the debut of its new BlackBerry 10, which sold 1 million units in the fourth quarter, above the 915,000 analysts predicted.
It is not just Blackberry owners who are buying the latest model; nearly 55% of buyers are coming from other platforms, according to RIM CEO Thorsten Heins.Read more »
BUSINESS March 28, 2013 | 5:19 PM
- Toyota redesigns Highlander in an attempt to increase US market share
- New Volkswagen Golf faster, more fuel efficient
- Light weight vehicles costlier than traditional cars
Both Toyota Motor Corp. and Volkswagen are using the New York International Auto Show to reveal their redesign details for their Highlander and Golf brands.
Toyota, the world’s largest automaker, expects demand in the US to reach 15.3 million vehicles in 2013.Read more »