Business News - part 4
BUSINESS July 8, 2015 | 2:05 PM
- Car replaces front passenger seat with platform
- Company says it is committed to safety
- Volvo has decided not to participate in 2016 MATS
Swedish automaker Volvo had designed a concept car with parents of young children in mind, hoping to keep children safer and make parents’ lives easier.
A XC90 SUV had had its front passenger seat removed, replaced with a baby seat pedestal. The pedestal allows the car seat to be locked in rear facing position and to swivel. The baby would be able to maintain eye contact with passengers and the driver, and it would be easier to remove the child from the car.Read more »
BUSINESS July 7, 2015 | 1:59 PM
- Most imports destined for U.S.
- Union concerned about steel prices
- Mexico forced to import gasoline
Mexican auto output increased 6.7% in June to 306,694 vehicles compared to 2014.
Exports rose to 242,720 vehicles, a 5.3% increase.Read more »
BUSINESS July 6, 2015 | 1:26 PM
- Focus needs to be development
- Company has faced multiple challenges
- Honda will not help Takata financially
Takahiro Hachigo, chief executive officer of Honda Motor Co., Japan’s third-largest automaker, says the company needs to focus less on deliveries and more on products.
Honda began producing vehicles in 1963, and is facing many challenges from its sales growth including lapses in quality, lack of innovative technology and stressed employees.Read more »
BUSINESS July 2, 2015 | 1:44 PM
- Problem with ignition could leave car running
- No injuries linked to the glitch
- Ford exploring other revenue streams
Ford Motor Co., the U.S.’s second largest automaker, has recalled 433,000 vehicles in North America because of a glitch that doesn’t allow the ignition to switch off; 374,781 vehicles are in the United States, 52,180 in Canada and 5,135 in Mexico.
When the ignition is shut off and the key is removed, the engine can continue to run. It also can occur when a driver presses the Start/Stop button. The vehicle could then be stolen or roll away.Read more »
BUSINESS July 1, 2015 | 2:15 PM
- Fiat had higher retail sales than Ford
- GM saw sales drop slightly
- Market on pace to be best year in a decade
For the first time, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, the number four automaker in the U.S., had higher retail sales than Ford Motor Co., the number two automaker, reports Reuters.
In June, Fiat made 278 more retail deliveries than Ford.Read more »
BUSINESS June 30, 2015 | 12:50 PM
- Audi, BMW and Subaru top list
- Manufacturers claim oil usage is normal
- Some consumers suing auto manufacturers
Some new vehicles burn oil excessively, nonprofit consumer organization Consumer Reports reveals in its annual auto survey.
The survey examined nearly 500,000 vehicles, model years 2010-2014, with most still under manufacturer warranty.Read more »
BUSINESS June 29, 2015 | 12:49 PM
- To qualify, vehicle must have 75% of parts manufactured in U.S. or Canada
- This year’s list is the smallest in history
- Customers choosing domestic for various reasons
Finding a vehicle that’s “made in America” is more difficult than ever, according to automotive classified website Cars.com.
According to the site’s annual American Made Index, the vehicle that’s most American is the Toyota Camry. The Camry has claimed the top spot five times, most recently in 2012.Read more »
BUSINESS June 25, 2015 | 2:45 PM
- Program has 150,000 French members
- Launches in London in early 2016
- Electric cars will be mainstream in future
Bolloré, owner of the all-electric car-sharing service Autolib, has seen success in Paris and is now expanding to London.
Autolib launched in Paris in 2011. At the time, the company hoped to reach 80,000 members, the number needed to break even, but it has surpassed that goal and currently has 150,000 members.Read more »
BUSINESS June 24, 2015 | 1:29 PM
- Isuzu will build Chevrolet branded vehicles
- GM once owned stake in Isuzu
- GM reentering truck market as part of company strategy
U.S. automaker General Motors Co. and Japanese auto manufacturer Isuzu Motor Ltd. are partnering to produce trucks as GM reenters the medium duty work truck market.
GM benefits from reentering the commercial truck market while Isuzu will benefit from adding to its lineup.Read more »
BUSINESS June 23, 2015 | 12:25 PM
- 1 millionth Corvette has signatures of workers on parts
- 1962 model still awaits restoration
- Museum getting ready to reopen showroom
General Motors Co. has begun the process of repairing classic Corvettes damaged 16 months ago when a sinkhole opened underneath a museum showroom.
On Feb. 12, 2014, a sinkhole opened under a showroom at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. Of the eight Corvettes that fell into the sinkhole, only three will be able to be repaired.Read more »