Business News - part 4
BUSINESS October 14, 2015 | 10:38 AM
- Emissions will be reduced 90% from 2010
- Automakers compete for green technology
- Car sales part of company’s green technology plan
Toyota Motor Corp., the world’s top selling automaker, has established a plan to reduce emissions from its vehicles by 2050, compared to 2010 levels.
Toyota did not provide a breakdown, but the plan involves electric vehicles. fuel-cell cars, gas-electric hybrids, and plug-in hybrids.Read more »
BUSINESS October 13, 2015 | 10:46 AM
- 10% of company will be available
- IPO first step to separate Ferrari from Fiat
- Ferrari production to increase
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, the world’s seventh largest automaker, is prepared for the initial public offering of its luxury brand Ferrari.
Nine percent of shares, 17.2 million, will be available publicly while 1%, 1.7 million shares, will be given to underwriters. The remaining 90% will be owned by Fiat and Piero Ferrari.Read more »
BUSINESS October 12, 2015 | 2:08 PM
- Volvo president calls for U.S. to lead the way
- Automaker has launched auto-pilot system
- Automakers to accept liability in case of accident
Volvo president and chief executive Hakan Samuelsson says the United States needs to develop a national set of regulations for the development and testing of autonomous vehicles or risk losing its position as a leader in the autonomous market.
More than a million miles of road have been covered in the U.S. during autonomous vehicle tests. Each state has different rules in place for autonomous testing.Read more »
BUSINESS October 8, 2015 | 11:59 AM
- Faulty windshield wiper switch can cause fire
- GM will arrange for pickup of vehicles
- GM looks to the future with new initiatives
General Motors is recalling 31,685 SUVs in North America because an electrical short in the windshield wiper motor could cause a fire.
Faulty wiper motor covers allow electrical terminals to come in contact with each other and could cause the motor cover to melt, smoke or catch fire.Read more »
BUSINESS October 7, 2015 | 12:27 PM
- Infotainment system to be installed in 911 Carrera
- Analysts say Google asked for sensitive information
- Google denies it’s spying on customers
Porsche has opted to use Apple CarPlay instead of Android Auto as the infotainment system in its 2017 911 Carrera and 911 Carrera S.
Both devices work by allowing users to connect a smartphone to their car. They are intended to reduce distractions while driving by allowing the use of voice commands to control things like music and phone calls.Read more »
BUSINESS October 6, 2015 | 11:35 AM
- All non-essential investments and spending will be cut
- Repairs to cost more than the estimated $7.3 billion
- Deadline for submitting suggested repair to regulators is this month
The world’s largest automaker, Volkswagen AG, will be cutting or delaying all non-essential investments and reviewing executives’ bonuses to pay for costs associated with its emissions- cheating software scandal, company CEO Matthias Mueller told a meeting of 20,000 employees at VW’s Wolfsburg, Germany, headquarters this week.
Jobs will be unaffected for the time being, but Mueller said it was impossible to know how high costs will total.Read more »
BUSINESS October 5, 2015 | 12:21 PM
- Front wheels can lock up
- There have been no accidents
- Honda produces 30 million car in North America
Honda Motor Co. has issued a recall of 143,676 cars in the U.S. because of a software issue.
The models affected are the 20015 Fit and the 2014-2015 Civic.Read more »
BUSINESS October 1, 2015 | 11:42 AM
- Average selling price increases
- Ford and Fiat also have a strong month
- GM controls about a third of the truck market
General Motors, the largest U.S. automaker, had a strong September increasing sales 12% and deliveries 17%, reaching 251,310 vehicles.
September is the sixth straight month with sales increases.Read more »
BUSINESS September 30, 2015 | 11:47 AM
- Company says it values quality over production time
- Model X will soon have competition
- Tesla works to increase customer base
Electric-car manufacturer Tesla Motors has released its Model X SUV after a two-year delay, delivering the first six vehicles.
Announced in 2012, Model X experienced several production delays. Tesla has said it prefers to meet quality specifications as opposed to production deadlines and has called the Model X a challenging build.Read more »
BUSINESS September 29, 2015 | 1:02 PM
- Automaker has not provided details on repairs
- Recall would be one of the world’s largest
- VW scandal erupted in mid-September
Volkswagen, the world’s largest automaker, will soon fix cars that were outfitted with software to deceive emissions standards tests.
Owners will be notified in the near future, the automaker said.Read more »