Business News - part 42
BUSINESS November 14, 2013 | 2:24 PM
- British Airways reports operating margin of close to 13% thanks to strong demand for key trans-Atlantic routes and effective cost control
- Vueling reports operating margin at 25% due to successful product strategy, low-cost base and increased tourism to Barcelona
- IAG competitors Air France-KLM Group and Deutsche Lufthansa AG reported unimpressive third quarter
International Consolidated Airlines Group SA, Europe’s third-largest airline group and the parent company of British Airways, saw third-quarter profit double thanks to British Airways and Spanish carrier Vueling.
During the quarter, operating profit was $925 million and profit after taxation was $777 million. Profit has continued to rise during the first nine months of the year, compared to a loss during the same period in 2012.Read more »
BUSINESS November 13, 2013 | 4:01 PM
- Kellogg job cuts part of savings plan called Project K
- Project K expected to save $425 million to $475 million per year by 2018
- Kellogg facing increased competition from generic brands, changing consumer habits
Food-manufacturing business Kellogg Co., the world's largest maker of breakfast cereals, has launched a four-year cost-saving plan called Project K aimed at boosting profitability.
Some 2,000 jobs, or 7% of Kellogg’s global workforce, will be eliminated and production capacity cut. The plan also involves consolidating factories and product lines as well as increasing growth in emerging markets and emphasizing regional brands.Read more »
BUSINESS November 13, 2013 | 11:14 AM
- Vivendi sells stake as part of strategy to streamline
- Purchase may not be wisest for Etisalat
- Vivendi to spin off SFR business
French media and telecom group Vivendi SA is selling its 53% stake in North African phone operator Itisalat Al Maghrib, also known as Maroc Telecom, to Emirates Telecommunications Corp. or Etisalat Group, for $5.67 billion in an effort to streamline operations.
Vivendi plans to focus and strengthen its media and content activities in Universal Music Group and French pay-TV company Canal Plus, which it believes will offer greater growth potential. Vivendi also plans to pay down its debt.Read more »
BUSINESS November 8, 2013 | 2:43 PM
- Apple manufacturing plant to be shared with GT Advanced Technologies
- GT Advanced Technologies to provide sapphire crystal technologies for Apple products
- New plant to generate 700 local manufacturing jobs and up to 1,300 construction jobs
Consumer electronics giant Apple will build a manufacturing plant in Arizona in conjunction with technology company GT Advanced Technologies, which will produce sapphire material to be used in some Apple products.
Apple did not specify which components would be manufactured at the plant, but did indicate the new site helps furthers Apple’s domestic efforts by generating as many as 700 local manufacturing jobs and up to 1,300 construction jobs.Read more »
BUSINESS November 7, 2013 | 4:03 PM
- US consumer confidence falls to 71.2 in October, down from 80.2 in September
- Confidence reached 82.1 in June, the highest level in 5.5 years
- 17.5% of US consumers expect economy to get worse in next 6 months
Consumer confidence in the United States fell sharply in October to 71.2, down from 80.2 in September, according to a report by research group The Conference Board.
The decline is linked to the 16-day US government shutdown.Read more »
BUSINESS November 6, 2013 | 12:21 PM
- Apple smartphone market share slips to 13.4% despite shipment increases
- Samsung shipped 88.4 million smartphones, accounting for 35% of total worldwide shipments in third quarter 2013
- Worldwide smartphone shipments at 251.4 million for third quarter 2013, up 45% year-on-year
Apple shipped 33.8 million smartphones in the third quarter of 2013, up from 26.9 million over the same period last year, but market share has still dropped 2.2% to 13.4%.
This marks Apple’s third-consecutive quarterly decline, and the latest quarter is considered a slow one for Apple. Near the end of the quarter, Apple saw a boost in shipments from the release of the new iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C.Read more »
BUSINESS November 5, 2013 | 5:00 PM
- Google launches Auto Awesome Movie feature to create movies from uploaded images and videos
- Some 300 million people stream shared content on Google+ per month
- Google adds over 18 photo, video-enhancing features to compete against Facebook
Google has introduced a technology called Auto Awesome Movie that produces movies by using collections of photos and video clips uploaded onto its social network Google+.
This move is seen as a bid to better compete with main rival Facebook, and aims to attract both more users and more advertising revenue.Read more »
BUSINESS November 4, 2013 | 5:26 PM
- Amazon reported revenue up 24% to $17 billion
- Amazon’s online sales to grow 15.5% to $83.2 billion before end of 2013, says EMarketer
- Amazon taking short-term losses with future growth in mind
Third-quarter revenue increased 24% to $17.1 billion, beating analyst estimates of $16.8 billion. Meanwhile, the company’s gross profit margin was 27.6%, and sales by third parties made up 40% of sales.
Net losses were $41 million as fulfillment expenses grew 35% to $2.03 billion, and technology and content expenses grew 45% to $1.73 billion. This is the third consecutive quarter the company has posted a net loss.Read more »
BUSINESS October 29, 2013 | 1:26 PM
- Boston Scientific Corp. recently announced job cuts of between 1,100 and 1,500
- Third restructuring in last two years
Boston Scientific, one of the world’s largest medical device manufacturers, plans to cut 1,100 to 1,500 jobs globally until 2015 to help trim between $150 million and $200 million in operating expenses and increase operating income margins from up to 25%.
The company further cites the purpose of this move, its third restructuring since 2011, as addressing financial pressure and streamlining production.Read more »
BUSINESS October 28, 2013 | 5:23 PM
- Samsung financial results boosted by smartphone, semiconductor sales
- Samsung’s consumer electronics, display panel units report decreases
- Samsung expects to see growth
Samsung Electronics, Asia’s largest technology company and the world's largest smartphone manufacturer, reported a 26% increase in third-quarter profit from 2012, boosted by smartphone and semiconductor sales. Net profit was $7.6 billion.
This marks the sixth quarter out of the past seven that Samsung has posted record operating profit.Read more »