Business News - part 7
BUSINESS August 24, 2015 | 1:40 PM
- Tire uses Southwestern desert shrub
- Usable tire should be completed in 2017
- Tire market is growing as auto market increases
Cooper Tire and Rubber Co. is developing a tire that uses 100% domestic rubber.
The company demonstrated a tire made of a Southwestern desert shrub, the guayule plant. A usable tire will be completed in 2017, the company said.Read more »
BUSINESS August 20, 2015 | 11:21 AM
- Taurus supply to dealerships is small
- Fusion more popular with buyers
- Ford files patent for autonomous car seating
Ford Motor Co. may be getting ready to discontinue the Taurus for the third time in North America, analysts speculate.
Dealerships are receiving a very small volume of the model.Read more »
BUSINESS August 19, 2015 | 1:45 PM
- SUV will compete with Tesla
- Range expected to be more than 300 miles
- Audi has released product specifications
German luxury automaker Audi AG, a division of Volkswagen, plans to begin production of an electric sports utility vehicle in 2018.
The SUV, the Audi e-tron Quattro, will appear as a concept car at the Frankfort Auto Show Sept. 15.Read more »
BUSINESS August 18, 2015 | 1:39 PM
- Terms have not been released
- Mergers becoming common in industry
- FCA may be selling auto parts division
German auto parts manufacturer Mann + Hummel has agreed to purchase American auto parts manufacturer Affinia, increasing its annual sales by $1 billion as it enters the U.S. filteration market.
Terms of the deal will not be released, Mann + Hummel said, but according to a regulatory filing the purchase price was $513.1 million plus $822 million in debt.Read more »
BUSINESS August 17, 2015 | 2:16 PM
- Annual study examines buyers’ motivations
- Customers willing to pay more for safety
- Luxury vehicles rank at top of list
Customers are increasing equating safety with satisfaction, according to the annual J.D. Power Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) study.
The study examines how satisfied new-car owners are with their vehicles. It ranks both brands and individual models across 77 categories.Read more »
BUSINESS August 13, 2015 | 2:03 PM
- Ranked sixth luxury brand in the U.S.
- Cadillac president says changes need to be made
- Cadillac seeks autonomy from General Motors
General Motor Co.’s luxury brand Cadillac has set the goal of selling 500,000 vehicles worldwide annually by 2020, brand president Johan de Nysschen said.
For 2018, the goal is 350,000 sales and in 2019 400,000.Read more »
BUSINESS August 12, 2015 | 1:26 PM
- Road would charge electric vehicles on the move
- Recharging stations to be installed regardless of test outcome
- Officials say road will have economic benefits
The United Kingdom soon will test an electric roadway that recharges electric and hybrid vehicles equipped with wireless technology while they move.
The test follows a feasibility study conducted by Highways England.Read more »
BUSINESS August 11, 2015 | 2:00 PM
- Several factors contribute to decline
- Chinese economy as a whole is contracting
- Chinese automakers giving buyers incentives
China’s auto market, the largest in the world, has shrunk to its smallest size since February 2014 as customers are buying fewer automobiles.
In July, according to the China Passenger Car Association, deliveries dropped 2.5% to 1.3 million vehicles. The China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM) reports sales fell 6.6%.Read more »
BUSINESS August 10, 2015 | 4:40 PM
- Report says each car costs company $3,800
- Model X still behind schedule
- CEO confident Tesla will reach production goals
Tesla Motors is losing $3,794 on every Model S sedan it sells, despite $5 billion in U.S. government subsidies, according to a report by Reuters.
To date, Tesla has received $126 million in California subsidies and $1.3 billion from Nevada.Read more »
BUSINESS August 6, 2015 | 2:22 PM
- A laptop needed to compromise system
- Tesla hires expert to work on security
- Tesla revises forecast for deliveries
Researchers have hacked another vehicle, this time the all-electric Tesla Model S.
Researchers Kevin Mahaffey and Marc Rogers were able to gain access to the car by the vehicle’s entertainment system using a laptop.Read more »