Business News - part 8
BUSINESS December 9, 2014 | 12:47 PM
- Faulty fuel-pressure sensor can lead to fires
- Recall affects SUVs and Infiniti cars
- Hyundai and Jaguar also issue recalls
Nissan Motor Co. has filed papers with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, recalling 470,000 vehicles worldwide because of a faulty fuel-pressure sensor that could lead to a fire.
In the U.S., the models affected are Nissan's Juke sport utility vehicle, the Infiniti QX70 and QX80 SUVs and the Infiniti M56 and QX56.Read more »
BUSINESS December 8, 2014 | 12:13 PM
- Adds superbug drugs to its portfolio
- Deal follows Merck strategy of acquiring rival companies
- Companies again focusing on antibiotics as bacteria becomes drug resistant
Merck & Co Inc., the second-largest U.S. drug manufacturer, has purchased Cubist Pharmaceuticals Inc., which specializes in drugs for bacteria that are resistant to many antibiotics, for $8.4 billion plus $1.1 billion in debt. The deal expands Merck’s presence in the drug-resistant bacteria treatment market.
The deal is part of Merck Chief Executive Kenneth C. Frazier’s strategy to purchase drug manufacturers whose product lines complement Merck’s.Read more »
BUSINESS December 4, 2014 | 12:28 PM
- Microsoft loses $238 million from termination
- Termination makes it easier for Nook to be spun off
- Bookseller reports disappointing second quarter
Bookseller Barnes & Nobel Inc. has bought out tech giant Microsoft Inc.’s 17% stake in its Nook e-reader business for $62 million in cash and $54 million in Barnes & Nobel stock.
In April 2012, Microsoft purchased its stake for $600 million, part of which was to be paid out over five years, after Barnes & Nobel refused to pay patent royalties for its e-readers. Termination of the agreement means Microsoft has lost approximately $238 million.Read more »
BUSINESS December 3, 2014 | 1:24 PM
- Company cites customer demand
- Switch will be made in near future
- Corn-syrup industry claims it is as safe as sugar
Read more »
BUSINESS December 2, 2014 | 11:53 AM
- Police have no easy way to detect drugs in the human system
- Marijuana legal in four U.S. states
- Device measures THC in the human system
Washington State University researchers are developing a breathalyzer test to detect marijuana in a driver’s system.
The handheld breathalyzer uses ion-mobility technology to detect tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the chemical compound found in marijuana, but it won’t be able to tell how much marijuana a person has used.Read more »
BUSINESS December 1, 2014 | 7:58 AM
- Patent filed in June for games on mobile devices
- Technology would emulate classic video games
- Nintendo has said it is not moving into mobile
Video game giant Nintendo filed for a patent earlier this year with the US Patent & Trademark Office for a software emulator for Game Boy, Game Boy Colour and Game Boy Advance. The patent is an update of an earlier patent.
The technology allows games to be emulated on mobile devices. Emulation means a hardware program is mimicked on software for use with other devices. They have modern settings but the appearance of older versions.Read more »
BUSINESS November 26, 2014 | 10:01 AM
- Twenty-five special apps will be offered
- Percentage of Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales will be donated
- Charity has raised millions since 2006
Apple Inc. is partnering with the (RED) campaign to raise funds for AIDS research.
Between Nov. 24 to Dec. 7, the Apple app store will sell 25 (RED)-branded apps. U.S. customers also will have the ability to purchase (RED) gift cards. For each card distributed, Apple will make a donation.Read more »
BUSINESS November 25, 2014 | 2:38 PM
- iPhone users could get up to $550 in rewards
- Other smartphone users can take advantage of deals
- Blackberry devices service a niche market
Blackberry Ltd. is hoping holiday deals will lure American and Canadian iPhone users away from Apple Inc. and encourage them to switch to the Blackberry Passport.
Apple iPhone 4 through iPhone 6 users will be offered up to $550 to trade models, depending on the condition of the phone, with up to $400 paid in cash and $150 paid by a Visa gift card.Read more »
BUSINESS November 24, 2014 | 2:18 PM
- Video games also will see price increase
- Company says funds will increase services
- DVDs compete with video-streaming services
Outerwall Inc., the owner of Redbox, will be raising its DVD and Blue-ray rental rates in the United States December 2.
DVD rental fees will increase 30 cents and Blue-ray fees will increase 50 cents.Read more »
BUSINESS November 23, 2014 | 11:46 AM
- Malware has been circulating since 2008
- Multiple layers make malware difficult to detect
- Malware’s creator unknown
A newly discovered surveillance Trojan program has been spying on computers worldwide. The malware has been nicknamed Regin by cybersecurity firm Symantec, the creator of Norton Antivirus which studied it.
Regin has been found in ten countries on computers in the energy, telecommunications and hospitality industries as well as research institutes and government entities. Half of the infections were with Internet service providers.Read more »