Business News - part 8
BUSINESS March 3, 2015 | 12:16 PM
- Sales higher than 2014 but lower than estimates
- Ford sees decrease 2%
- Weather, loans contributed to sales figures
February auto sales were 6% higher than 2014,but still fell below analysts’ forecasts of 9%-10%. Once all automakers have reported, sales may have increased as high as 8% with 1.29 million vehicles sold.
“It’s hard to believe weather wasn’t a factor,” Michelle Krebs, senior analyst at AutoTrader.com, told Bloomberg Business. “The Northeast is a huge small-utility market, so that had to have some impact. I’m not worried that they’re off a couple of percentage points. They’ll probably make it up in March and April.”Read more »
BUSINESS March 2, 2015 | 11:35 AM
- Drivers will be able to control home appliances from their vehicles
- Market expected to increase
- AT&T hoping to diversify beyond telephones
AT&T Inc., the second-largest wireless carrier in the U.S., is integrating Digital Life, its home security and automation service, with its Drive connected car platform.
Users will be able to control Digital Life from their dashboard using either a control panel or voice commands.Read more »
BUSINESS February 26, 2015 | 12:56 PM
- Vehicles have defect in automatic transmission
- Issue not the first to plague Fiat transmissions
- Chrysler involved in lawsuit over steering in Dodge Ram
Fiat Chrysler has issued a recall for the 2015 Chrysler 200 with V-6 engines because of a manufacturer’s defect. The recall affects nearly 26,000 cars sold in North America.
A problem with the nine-speed automatic transmission causes the transmission to be unable to shift to park, and the car could roll away unexpectedly. A defect causes sensors to indicate the car is in park when it is not.Read more »
BUSINESS February 25, 2015 | 11:02 AM
- Buick first American brand to break into top 10
- Tesla takes top model for second year
- J.D. Power study tracked customer complaints
Lexus took the top spot in Consumer Reports’ annual auto issue and J.D. Power’s 2015 Vehicle Dependability study.
General Motor’s Buick became the first U.S.-based brand to rank in the top 10 brands, placing seventh.Read more »
BUSINESS February 24, 2015 | 12:30 PM
- Company to face challenges updating 2007 model
- Price to be 20% higher than expected
- Karma was last produced in 2012
Chinese auto parts manufacturer Wangxiang Group, the owner of California-based Fisker Automotive, plans to rename the automaker, Elux, and will delay the rerelease of the luxury plug-in hybrid Karma sedan until mid-2016, according to Reuters.
Reuters’ source asked not to be named because he is not a company spokesperson. Wangxiang has not confirmed the report.Read more »
BUSINESS February 23, 2015 | 1:40 PM
- Automaker decides to use its own infotainment system
- Dozens of automakers have committed to the systems
- Google’s Android Auto to compete against Apple
Japanese automaker Toyota Motor Co. has opted not to offer Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in the foreseeable future, although the systems can be added aftermarket.
Instead the automaker will offer its Entune system. It may offer the other systems at some point, the company said, but did not disclose a date.Read more »
BUSINESS February 19, 2015 | 1:28 PM
- Several factors led to market’s growth
- Older cars increased most in value
- Certified preowned vehicles see the largest increase
The average price of a used car in 2014 reached $16,800 in the U.S., a record, according to car buying information service Edmunds.com’s Used Vehicle Market Report.
Last year’s average price was 5.7% higher than 2013 when the average price was $15,900. A one-year-old car sold for an average of $30,000.Read more »
BUSINESS February 18, 2015 | 1:38 PM
- Company looks to encourage solar-panel usage
- Paint uses sustainable mineral
- Nissan previously displayed self-cleaning paint
Nissan Europe is displaying a glow-in-the-dark, all-electric Leaf to increase awareness of solar- panel use.
The paint works by absorbing UV light using strontium aluminate, a odorless as well as chemically and biologically inert powder. It glows for 8-10 hours nightly.Read more »
BUSINESS February 17, 2015 | 12:26 PM
- Companies would complement each other
- Electric and self-driving vehicles in development
- 2014 had mixed results for Tesla
Apple Inc. will purchase Tesla Motors Inc. for $75 billion within the next 18 months, entrepreneur and angel investor Jason Calacanis predicts in a blog post.
Calacanis says he has no insider information or proof but has based his prediction on observations.Read more »
BUSINESS February 16, 2015 | 1:59 PM
- Reports claim Apple has opened secret lab
- CarPlay soon to be available in new cars
- Analysts say Apple has what it takes to become an automaker
Technology giant Apple Inc. is looking to make the jump into the automotive market, according to reports by the Wall Street Journal and Financial Times.
According to the report, Apple has opened a secret lab in California where it is working on an Apple branded car. WSJ reported the lab is employing several hundred people while Financial Times reported the number in the dozens.Read more »