Top Headlines - part 10
BUSINESS January 11, 2013 | 4:31 PM
- World tablet shipments to increase 64% in 2013, surpassing laptop shipments
- Smaller screen sizes should account for 45% of tablet market product sales in 2013
- North America to remain largest tablet market player in 2013 with 35% market share, 85 million units
Global tablet shipments are anticipated to increase 64% to exceed 240 million units in 2013, according to research in the NDP DisplaySearch Quarterly Mobile PC Shipment and Forecast report.
Meanwhile, laptop shipments should hit around 207 million by the end of the year.Read more »
BUSINESS January 10, 2013 | 2:14 PM
- Dreamliner flights cancelled due to fuel leak, braking problems
- Boeing market value falls $2.8 billion
- 800 Dreamliner orders still standing
Aerospace manufacturer Boeing has reported safety issues with its star 787 Dreamliner aircraft, causing investor confidence to fall and potentially harming the company’s image.
Security problems this week saw two Dreamliner flights cancelled – one because of a fuel leak, the other because of an error with the braking system – and an additional Dreamliner aircraft experienced a fire in its auxiliary power unit. Boeing says the problems are unrelated.Read more »
BUSINESS January 9, 2013 | 10:48 AM
- Samsung operating profit hits $8.3 billion, a 89% jump over 2011
- 70% of operating income generated by mobile division
- Samsung to become top home appliance maker by 2015 with $18 billion in sales
Samsung Electronics, the world's largest technology company by revenue, says its operating profit for the end of 2012 has set a new record with $8.3 billion, which marks an 89% jump over 2011.
Revenue was also up 18% on last year at $52.6 billion.Read more »
BUSINESS January 8, 2013 | 4:19 PM
- Barnes & Noble sales down close to 11% at end of 2012
- Nook e-reader sales down 13%
- Holiday season sales started strong but then declined
American bookseller Barnes & Noble saw combined store and online sales drop nearly 11% during the holiday season 2012 compared to 2011.
Far below expectations, sales for the Barnes & Noble Nook e-reader fell close to 13%. On a positive note, the book giant saw sales grow by over 13% for its digital books, digital newsstand and apps.Read more »
BUSINESS January 7, 2013 | 4:39 PM
- US automakers sell 14.5 million new vehicles in 2012 for a 13.4% increase over 2011
- 44.5% of US auto sales generated by General Motors, Chrysler Group and Ford Motor
- US consumers looking to replace their aging vehicles
American automobile manufacturers posted their highest sales in 2012 since the start of the 2008 recession, all combined registering some 14.5 million new vehicles sold, or a 13.4% increase from 2011, says sales tracker Autodata.
Of that total, 44.5% of sales came from the Detroit 3 – General Motors, Chrysler Group and Ford Motor.Read more »
BUSINESS January 4, 2013 | 2:03 PM
- Samsung surpasses Nokia for cell phone shipments, with Apple following in third place
- Operating systems, price affect standings
- 654 million smartphones were shipped in 2012
For the first time since 1998, Samsung has overtaken Nokia as the top cell phone brand of the year, according to a report by IHS iSuppli.
Samsung accounted for 29% of world cell phone shipments, while Nokia registered 24%. Apple came in third, shipping 10% of cell phones.Read more »
BUSINESS December 20, 2012 | 1:50 PM
- Nielsen will pay $1.26 billion for Arbitron radio ratings technology company
- Radio reaches 92% of US adults and teens
- Nielsen, Arbitron deal pending regulatory approval
US television ratings leader Nielsen Holdings is buying radio ratings technology company Arbitron for $1.26 billion to improve monitoring of unmeasured areas of media consumption, such as out-of-home and streaming audio.
The deal will allow Nielson to offer advertisers better insight into consumer behavior across television, radio and web media so they can maximize marketing investments.Read more »
BUSINESS December 19, 2012 | 11:28 AM
- Apple sells over 2 million iPhone 5s in China during launch
- Apple market share in China rumored to have slipped 50%
- 3.3 million iPhones shipped to China in 3rd quarter
Apple Inc. set a sales record in China with the debut of the iPhone5, selling over 2 million smartphones in the first three days.
Apple chief executive Tim Cook says: “China is a very important market for us and customers there cannot wait to get their hands on Apple products.” Prior to the iPhone 5 launch, investors feared the iPhone was doing poorly in China.Read more »
BUSINESS December 18, 2012 | 3:42 PM
- MRO industry to increase at a rate of 3.49% over next 10 years
- North America to account for 48% of global MRO investment
- MRO industry needs more skilled workers
The value of the global military aviation maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) industry is forecast to jump from $28 billion to $39.4 billion over the next ten years, marking an average increase of 3.49% per year.
According to research from global defense industry intelligence provider Strategic Defence Intelligence, today’s economic climate is prompting key spenders like the US, the UK, France and Germany to reduce their defense budgets, and to maintain, repair and upgrade their existing fleet instead of buying new equipment.Read more »
BUSINESS December 18, 2012 | 3:13 PM
- ReportLinker ranks number 375 on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 EMEA 2012
- ReportLinker.com records five-year revenue growth rate of 392%
- ReportLinker.com previously ranked 478 on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 EMEA 2010 and 445 on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 EMEA 2011
Leading business search engine ReportLinker.com now ranks number 375 on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 EMEA 2012, a list of the 500 fastest-growing technology companies in Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
“We are honored to be recognized as a technology leader on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 list for the third year in a row, recording a 392% five-year revenue growth rate. Going forward, we will continue to invest in and evolve our technology to best deliver trusted data from both public and private sources to our customers,” says CEO Benjamin Carpano.Read more »