Top Headlines - part 11
BUSINESS February 6, 2015 | 10:04 AM
- Updates make using the service on mobile devices easier
- Intended to expose users to new music
- People are increasing using touchscreen devices
Music streaming service Spotify has introduced updated features intended to make using the service on mobile devices easier.
The newest feature, called Touch Preview, along with additional swipe features, are the first Spotify updates made with smartphone users in mind.Read more »
BUSINESS February 5, 2015 | 1:22 PM
- Exchange rate, cost cutting help boost sales
- Company entering environmental markets
- Updated models to debut at Chicago Auto Show
Toyota Motor Corp., the world’s largest automaker, has revised its full-year profit forecast to $18 billion as a variety of factors boosted company sales in 2014.
Through the fiscal year’s third quarter, which ends in March, the company will make an estimated $14.7 billion, a 13.2% increase from a year ago. During the second quarter, profit grew 14%.Read more »
BUSINESS February 4, 2015 | 12:44 PM
- Company plans to continue success throughout the year
- New C-Class sedan to debut this month in Asia
- Other luxury brands reported January growth
Mercedes-Benz USA reported 24,619 vehicles were sold in January, a record and a 8.9% increase from 2014. If sales of 492 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Vans are included, then the growth rate was 9%.
MBUSA sells 14 models. In January, the Mercedes C-Class grew 8.5%, the M-Class grew 11.3% while the S-Class increased 22.2%. The model with the largest jump was the GL class, increasing 38%.Read more »
BUSINESS February 3, 2015 | 3:16 PM
- AutoTrader, Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds track ads’ success
- Luxury brands see the largest jump in searches
- Mainstream brands also seek increase
Nine automakers marketing 11 brands advertised during Feb. 1’s Super Bowl, and it’s the luxury brands which created the most customer buzz.
Auto industry websites AutoTrader, Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds tracked the ads’ success rates. AutoTrader measured search results an hour before and after the game, and KBB measured results one hour before and after the ads aired. Edmunds compared search results to other Sundays.Read more »
BUSINESS February 2, 2015 | 3:21 PM
- Software issue causes airbags to inflate
- Airbag manufacturer having quality problems
- Jeep transmissions also causing complaints
Fiat Chrysler has recalled 228,181 Jeep Cherokees over a software issue that makes side airbags inflate without reason.
The recall affects model years 2014 and 2015. The majority of the recalls were in North America: 168,092 Jeeps in the U.S., 19,557 in Canada and 4,133 in Mexico. An additional, 36,399 worldwide were affected.Read more »
BUSINESS January 29, 2015 | 2:33 PM
- Company hurt by weak market in Europe, South America
- Sales of latest F-150 pickup expected to increase sales in 2015
- Ford forecasts profit up to $9.5 billion for 2015
Ford Motor Co., the second-largest U.S. automaker, posted global earnings that beat analysts’ forecasts, but were lower than 2013.
Operating profit for the fourth quarter was $1.1 billion. Revenue was $35.9 billion. Analysts had forecasted revenue of $34.5 billion.Read more »
BUSINESS January 28, 2015 | 12:27 PM
- Makes first European quarterly profit in seven years
- Ferrari to be spun off for $4.7 billion
- Five-year plan to increase Fiat’s global position
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, or FCA, the seventh-largest automaker, reported a successful 2014 as it works to achieve its five-year plan.
Full-year earrings before interest and taxes and excluding one-off items grew 14% compared to 2013, reaching $1.2 billion, and shipments grew 6%, reaching 4.6 million vehicles. The Jeep model had record sales.Read more »
BUSINESS January 27, 2015 | 12:16 PM
- Show generated $400 million for local economy
- Design college feels the future of automobiles is aerodynamic
- Several fuel-efficient vehicles on display
The North American International Auto Show in Detroit, the largest auto show in North America, had its best attendance in 12 years.
This year attendance reached 808,775, including 102,928 on the final day. Last year’s attendance was 803,451.Read more »
BUSINESS January 26, 2015 | 4:15 PM
- Defect in cooling fan unit
- Affect models manufactured between 2012 and 2014
- Ford research center opens in California
South Korean auto manufacturer Kia Motors America is recalling 86,880 Kia Fortes in the U.S. because a defect with the cooling unit poses a fire hazard.
The cooling unit resistor can overheat and melt.Read more »
BUSINESS January 22, 2015 | 1:01 PM
- Volkswagen a close second
- U.S., Chinese markets seen as areas of growth
- Toyota forecasts sales to slow in 2015
Japanese automaker Toyota Motor Corp. has maintained the position of top automaker in the world for the third consecutive year.
In 2008, Toyota took over the top spot from General Motors Co., which was number one for 70 years.Read more »