Table of Contents
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Silicon technology has come a long way since the first microcontrollers were introduced in 1993. Microcontrollers permitted integration of memory with processors allowing specialized embedded applications. As the technology shrank and matured, more and more peripherals were integrated into a microcontroller giving rise to a System on a Chip (SoCs). These SoCs are popular today and stand at the center of any electronic device. The SoCs have even more importance in Consumer Electronic (CE) devices as a well-designed and featured SoC can not only help bring down the cost but also offer powerful features that help differentiate devices from one other.
Multimedia SoCs (also referred as multimedia chipsets) primarily deal with audio, image and video processing. These features are at the heart of a wide range of electronic devices such as TVs, DVD players, digital cameras, MP3 players, etc.
Each of these devices features one or more chipsets that processes multimedia in conjunction with a Central Processing Unit (CPU).
This report will focus on different semiconductor chipsets available for multimedia and will explore technologies and markets. The report will look at the total available market for multimedia chipsets. The market is also further segmented when applicable and the reader is provided with pertinent information. The report also provides readers with the market ecosystem and explains the trends shaping the future. Key players in each category are also discussed along with market share information. A forecast of total market in each category by dollar, volume and geography over the period of next five years is included. The report also includes an analysis of patents filed in this marketplace by various companies.
In addition to multimedia chipsets, the report also explores the role played by Digital Signal Processors (DSPs) in the multimedia market. DSPs provide flexibility over the hardware solutions provided by several chipsets but often lack the performance power. This report will explore tradeoffs in using DSPs rather than a multimedia chipset.
Emerging technologies that define the future of multimedia chipsets are also discussed. The report also includes an analysis of patents filed in this marketplace by various companies.
A research study aimed at analyzing this market is useful to anyone connected to this field. It provides students, executives, and those interested in technology with insight into the underlying technology, market forces, and trends that will help them understand the market dynamics.
MULTIMEDIA CHIPSET MARKET SEGMENTATION
There are multiple ways of segmenting the multimedia chipset market. For example, one could separate the market based on the functionality provided (audio, video, graphics) or by the technology used (microprocessor only, microprocessor with hardware components, DSP, DSP with microprocessor etc). However, most of the chipsets are marketed towards a typical market such as DTV and hence we’ve segmented the multimedia SoC market based on the end product.
The multimedia chipset market is segmented as follows:
• Chipset for digital television (DTV).
• Chipsets for set-top box and Internet protocol TV (IPTV).
• Chipsets for digital video players (DVDs).
• Chipsets for handheld devices (including cell phones).
• Chipsets for audio devices (MP3 players).
• Digital signal processors.
• Chipsets for imaging products (digital camera, camcorder etc.).
Each of the markets has its own characteristic and the chipsets therefore are optimized for each device for features and pricing. This is not to say that one can not use a chipset targeted towards other markets. For example, it is perfectly feasible to create a digital camera using a DSP or even chipset targeted towards the handheld device market. However, when collecting and presenting the data, we’ve considered the marketing jargon used by various SoC companies as primary reference.
REPORT SCOPE AND ORGANIZATION
This report is divided into seven chapters. Each chapter describes details of the multimedia market for a segment (DTV, set-top box and IPTV, DVDs, handheld devices, audio devices, digital signal processors and imaging products).
The following is provided for each category:
• Definition and further segmentation where applicable.
• Overall market.
• Geographic data.
• Total revenue.
• Total volume shipments.
• Growth forecast and market trends.
• Business models.
• Key players and market share.
The report also includes a high-level discussion of the hardware and software design that pertains to each segment.
The goal of the report is to provide readers with the following:
• Understanding of the characteristics of chipsets targeted towards each market and the roles played by different hardware and software components.
• Understanding of the market segment and the factors driving its growth.
• Knowledge of business models used in different market segments.
• Market potential for each segment and projections for the next 5 years.
This report will be useful to a broad reader base. More specifically, the following should benefit:
• Consumer electronics industry insiders, including executives, managers, marketing, and salespeople, looking to enhance their business knowledge by understanding more about the multimedia chipsets market.
• Product marketing and management people from the multimedia chipsets market ecosystem who want to understand the intricacies of the market and position their products accordingly.
• Business and venture executives in the technology industry looking to invest in multimedia chipsets companies.
• Finance and investment professionals looking to make investment decisions for multimedia chipsets manufacturers.
Market data and information for this report were obtained through numerous channels. Both primary and secondary research methodologies were used in preparing this study.
For example, industry association data was obtained, along with publicly available information from various companies. These include Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings by public companies, presentations in various conferences, and articles and reports published by company insiders.
Sales data for various multimedia device markets was used since chip sales are highly correlated to device sales. Interviews were conducted with company executives and other industry experts to obtain market insight. The companies selected for this purpose fell into several categories, including hardware suppliers, device manufacturers, and engineering services companies.
Other sources used include exhaustive Internet searches, blogs, and articles written by industry journalists. Editors and executives provided individual perspectives on the market. Industry journals and publications, white papers, and technical notes were also reviewed.
The projections for future market growth were based on several factors.
BCC developed a mathematical model to forecast growth based on the following:
• Annual revenue of the multimedia devices for the last five years; this data was used to determine trends and the correlation between television sales and sales of chipsets.
• Chip sales data was correlated to device sales data.
• External factors, such as the economy and growth projections by key institutions such as the International Monetary Fund (IMF) were considered.
• Geographical trends impacting the technology, such as the rise of Asia as a major consumer base.
• New innovations and threats facing the existing technology.
Anand Joshi has more than 16 years of experience in the consumer electronics industry as well as the embedded and semiconductor industries.
As an industry executive, he has often been involved in developing market strategies, market projections, and modeling. He brings his extensive industry expertise and knowledge to the development of this report
This report provides:
• An overview of the global market for multimedia chipsets, which primarily are utilized in audio, image, and video processing.
• Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2011 and 2012, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2017
• Discussion of the market ecosystem and trends shaping the future
• Examination of key peripherals, such as input-output devices and storage connectivity, and software, such as operating systems and applications
• Comprehensive company profiles of major players in the industry and selected start-ups
• Patent analysis.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
“The gas insulated switchgear market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 9.4% from 2016 to 2021” The gas insulated switchgear market is expected to reach a market size of USD 25.95 billion by 2021, ...
Use this report to: - Analyze the developing market for superconducting applications, materials and other enabling technologies. - Assess expected technological and market trends in the longer term. - ...
Use this report to: - Analyze various applications of the fiber optic sensor market and market dynamics of each application. - Evaluate growth strategies by key players in the fiber optic sensor market. ...