This report, Lab Automation Markets, 3rd Edition, (Systems, Key Companies, Forecasts and Trends), represents Kalorama Information's latest study of the market for systems that enable labs to store, identify and transport large quantities of specimens. The report analyzes the current and potential world markets for medical laboratory automation systems and equipment - both for clinical diagnostics and drug discovery research laboratories.
Many clinical laboratories are facing a number of issues that are challenging their ability to remain competitive. These challenges have been caused by the reduction of government reimbursement rates for laboratory tests, cost-restraint measures established by the managed care industry, and the continuing trend toward containment of national health care costs. In order to survive in the future, it will be necessary for labs to run more tests; test in fewer sites; operate with less equipment; maintain lower operating costs; hire less skilled labor; and harness additional automation.
Since the last edition, systems have been introduced, market share has shifted and alliances and mergers have concluded.
These are some of the recent developments that are assessed in the report and considered in market projections:
• Fully Automated Systems
• Mergers and Acquisitions Alter the Commercial Landscape
• Co-Development, Co-Marketing, Co-Selling
• Automation Solves Sample Lysis Bottleneck
• Automation for Secondary Screening
• Pfizer UCB Partnership
• BioTrove Acquisition
• PerkinElmer Caliper Acquisition
• BD Kiestra Acquisition
• Labotix and NoemaLife Collaboration
• Higher-Throughput Drug Discovery Automation
• Blood Sciences Laboratory Automation
• Optimizing Liquid Handling
• Bench top Platform Controls Automation
• Integrated Laboratory Automation
In its previous two editions, the report has been a useful tool for business planning for top automation companies. The report allows companies to benefit from estimates of the part of the market most beneficial to them.
Current Market and Forecasts to 2017 for the following segments are included:
• Sample Transport Systems
• Specimen Handling Systems
• Storage and Retrieval Systems
• Work Stations
• Plate Readers
• Dissolution Testing
• Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
As a report with international focus, markets for North America, Europe and Asia are provided. Revenues for clinical labs and drug discovery labs are broken out.Market forecasts are based on an examination of current market conditions and on investigations into the development of new products by key companies.