Table of Contents
Investments in the Brazilian Market Provide Medium-term Momentum
This research service examines the large hydro turbine market in Latin America, which is segmented into the following product segments: Kaplan, Pelton, and Francis turbines. The region has significant potential due to Brazil’s Energy Expansion Program. In this study, the market is strictly associated with hydro power plants, which can be developed or restrained according to hydro power supportive policies and financing. This research service provides installed capacity and revenue forecasts, along with a market share and competitive analysis for participants in the region. Furthermore, conclusions about the future of the market are included. The base year is 2012, and the forecasts run until 2017.
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
• How is the large hydro turbine market structured?
• What are the main drivers and restraints underlying the growth of the large hydro turbine market?
• Which segments offer the best opportunities for growth?
• Is the market growing, how long will it continue to grow, and at what rate?
• What revenue forecasts can be expected for the large hydro turbine market from 2013 to 2017?
• Is the market comprised of international or local companies?
• Total Market revenue was $X million in 2012, with an installed capacity of X megawatts (MW). Market revenue should reach $X million at the end of forecast period with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of X percent, in line with an installed capacity of X MW.
• The large hydro turbine market is unstable, but highly predictable and consolidated in the short and the medium terms. However, competitive conditions may fluctuate substantially when large hydropower projects enter the market.
• A slight reduction in the cost of large hydro turbines (LHTs) is expected through the forecast period by means of improvements in production processes, such as greater flexibility.
• Turbine costs per MW show a decreasing trend as well, especially with increasing units sold during a single operation. However, high-end products featuring an extra degree of sophistication indicate the opposite trend.
• Although Brazil is the leading provider of hydroelectric power, Andean countries will provide better conditions for this type of electricity generation by the end of the forecast period.
• Key competitive factors for LHT original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) include the ability to self-finance, a solid and local structure of suppliers, as well as flexible production by means of differentiated capabilities in the region.
• Hydropower projects are significant but scarce. Therefore, in order to participate in these types of projects, it is crucial for turbine suppliers to offer a wide portfolio of products and services, namely electromechanical and civil engineering contracts.
Mexico & Central America
Central America comprise over 37 states and territories.
Research Service Scope
• This study outlines the features and perspectives of the large hydro turbine (LHT) market in Latin America.
• Francis, Kaplan, and Pelton technologies are included in this research service.
• The base year for this study is 2012, and the forecast period is from 2013 to 2017.
• Market size is provided in terms of revenue and installed capacity. Revenue figures consider the revenue generated from the sale of LHTs by LHT manufacturers according to the actual date of commission.
• LHT prices consider the capital cost of a LHT; however, turbine installation and transportation costs are not considered. All prices quoted in the study are in US dollars ($), unless otherwise specified.
• This research service analyzes the market share among LHT manufacturers in terms of installed capacity. Installed capacity figures describe the cumulative manufacturer-rated capacity of installed LHTs, which in large Hydro Power Plants (HPPs) equals over 20 MW installed capacity.
• The individual segment breakdown provides important segment characteristics including installed capacity and revenue forecast, and competitive factors of the market.
Hydroelectric Power Plants (HPP)
LHTs are utilized by a single consumer, large HPPs. These production facilities feature at least two turbines and over X MW of installed capacity. A conventional HPP is constituted by a series of main components which vary according to the engineering specialization and the amount of electricity generated within the plant. These various components are defined below.
• Civil Works
- Dam: a structure that contains the water, creating a reservoir used as storage. Can be made of compacted soil with a clay nucleus, or concrete. Includes water evacuation systems.
- Intake, penstock, and surge chamber: a set of installations that captures water from the dam and leads it to the turbine with the respective control units that guarantee permissible and safe operating ranges for the HPP.
• Electromechanical Equipment
- Turbine: a mechanism that transforms flow and hydrostatic water energy into rotational kinetic energy.
- Generator: consists on an electromagnetic rotor attached to the turbine with an even number of poles, separated by few millimeters from a concentric stator, in order to produce AC.
• Electrical Facilities
- Switches and disconnections: control the current conduction for regulation and eventual maintenance.
- Transformers: The utilization of a transformer aims to minimize loss of current when transforming voltages from AC to a higher voltage for more efficient transport (at higher voltages, conductivity cable losses decrease).
- Transmission lines: high voltage (HV) power cables send the electricity to a grid connection point or directly to consumers through the respective step-down transformers.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
Africa Small Hydropower Market: Overview Small hydropower (
The global hydropower market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.1% from 2014 to 2022. Hydropower is one of the oldest sources of energy which was used thousands of years ago - to turn paddle wheels that ...
Hydropower (Large Hydro, Small Hydro and Pumped Storage) - Global Market Size, Segmentation, Investment Trends, Regulations and Key Country Analysis to 2025 Summary Hydropower is one of the most widely ...