Table of Contents
Oil and Gas Investments and Improvements in the Electric Utility Infrastructure Sustain Growth
This research service provides an analysis of the North American seals market. Market drivers and restraints are discussed, along with trends across the various end users, including oil and gas; power generation; mining; automotive; water and wastewater; food and beverage; and chemicals and pharmaceuticals. A revenue forecast to 2019 is included for the total seals market and the two product types—rotary seals and mechanical seals. The Mega Trends affecting the market also are analyzed. In addition, the competitive landscape is examined, and strategic conclusions and recommendations are included for the future of the seals market.
• The North American seals market experiences moderate growth due to investments in various industries.
- The shale gas boom has brought various opportunities in extraction and transportation.
- The electric utility industry has made significant investments in expansion and new facilities due to requirements to increase power generation. Growth in the electric utility industry has contributed to a boost in the seals market because the items are used often across different applications.
- The strict manufacturing and production regulations in the chemical processing, food and beverage, and pharmaceuticals industries further ensure the growth of the seals market.
• The North American seals market is reaching stagnation due to the movement of manufacturing activities to emerging economies, a practice that has negatively affected various end users.
• Seal-less technology may negatively affect the seals market in the long term with its ability to offer low-cost and low-maintenance solutions.
• In 2012, revenue for the North American seals market was about $Xbillion, and a X percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR) is expected during 2012 to 2019.
1. Seal manufacturers should partner with automation vendors to enable predictive seal maintenance to add value for end users.
2. Seal-less technology is expected to become dominant in high-precision industries, reducing the need for seals.
3. The utility sector sustains the seal market due to continued investment in industries, such as power generation.
4. Advances in seal design will be incorporated into niche applications in emerging industries, such as biofuel.
5. Low-cost seals pose a competitive threat to the North American seals market.
Product Definition: Seals are components that prevent the leakage of fluid between rotating parts. Seals have been broadly classified as rotary and mechanical.
A rotary, or lip, seal prevents fluid leakage due to its flexible lip rubbing against a shaft or housing. Orientation and direction decide the product configuration. Usually, the seal is press fit into a housing bore with its sealing lip contacting the shaft. If the sealing lip contacts the housing bore, then they are considered external lip seals. Seals are used often for rotary applications. They are available in configurations, such as single lip, double lip, and triple lip. This study covers asymmetrical, axial, oil, external lip, single lip, double lip, and triple lip seals.
A mechanical seal prevents leakage between a rotating part and its housing in extreme pressure and temperature. The two types of mechanical seals are single acting and double acting. The medium that is being sealed provides the lubrication film the sliding seal requires. The sealant liquid is at a higher pressure, so that any leakage across the seal faces will be the sealant liquid into the equipment. Mechanical seals are available in various sizes, and this study covers pusher seals and metal and elastomeric bellows.
The verticals considered for revenue calculation are defined as follows:
Oil and gas
This industry encompasses all companies involved in the exploration, production, and transportation of oil and gas and includes the upstream, midstream, and downstream processes.
Food and beverage
The food sector consists of all manufacturing plants that transform livestock and agricultural products into products for immediate or final consumption. The industry groups are distinguished by the raw materials (generally of animal or vegetable origin) they process into food products. Establishments primarily producing bakery and candy products are also included. The beverage sector consists of three types of participants: manufacturers of nonalcoholic beverages, manufacturers of alcoholic beverages through the fermentation process, and manufacturers of distilled alcoholic beverages.
Mining and minerals
This encompasses the companies involved in the extraction of ores and minerals.
Chemicals and pharmaceuticals
The chemical industry comprises companies that manufacture basic chemicals (acids and salts), chemicals used in manufacturing (pigments and colors), chemical end products (soaps and cosmetics), and specialty end products. The pharmaceutical industry develops, produces, and markets drugs licensed for use as medications. Pharmaceutical companies deal in generic and/or brand medications and medical devices.
This industry includes all power-generation plants (e.g., fossil fuel, wind, hydroelectric, nuclear, and geothermal). Industry participants are likely to perform one or more of the following: operate generation facilities that produce electric energy; operate transmission systems that convey electricity from generation facilities to distribution systems; or operate distribution systems that convey electricity to the final consumer.
This industry includes companies involved in the manufacturing of passenger and commercial vehicles.
Water and wastewater
This industry includes all applications involved in the treatment of water and wastewater.
Agriculture includes companies involved in farming.
Biofuel includes extraction of fuels, such as biodiesel.
Marine includes the manufacturing and servicing of ships.
General industrial manufacturing includes commercial and public construction.
This study covers North America, which includes:
• The United States
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
Is the North American seals market growing, how long will it continue to grow, and at what rate?
How are the existing competitors structured in the seals market?
What are the trends affecting the North American seals market across the various end users?
How will the structure of the market change with time?
Are the products/services currently offered meeting customer needs. or is additional development needed?
Are the vendors in the space ready to go it alone, or do they need partnerships to take their business to the next level?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Gaskets and Seals in US$ Million by the following Product Groups/Segments: Gaskets (Non-Metallic, & Metallic), and Seals (Mechanical & Rotary, Molded Packing, ...
China’s demand for Gaskets & Seals has grown at a fast pace in the past decade. In the next decade, both production and demand will continue to grow. The Chinese economy maintains a high speed growth ...
About Mechanical Seals Mechanical seals converge/connect parts of systems or mechanisms to prevent leakage of fluids. The plumbing systems in the manufacturing, aerospace, automotive, electrical and electronics, ...