Table of Contents
Emphasis on Nanotechnology Increases Demand for High-precision Equipment
The role of dimensional metrology in the electronic manufacturing industry is in the development stage. As a result, several market participants are exploring opportunities that are currently emerging in this space. This market engineering research service primarily focuses on dimensional metrology in semiconductor and consumer electronics. The service provides revenue forecasts, outlines geographic trends, highlights market drivers and restraints, and offers a market share analysis. Region breakdowns are provided for North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of World. The study period is from 2009 to 2017, with a base year of 2012.
Electronic manufacturing companies in developed economies have been at the forefront of adopting dimensional metrology to streamline the quality process and improve manufacturing efficiency. Dimensional metrology enables end users to measure an object and helps in identifying production errors before it is supplied in the market.
Dimensional metrology equipment helps in the research and development of products in terms of measuring the size, structure, and ergonomics of the product.
The competitive landscape in this market is dominated by major product manufacturers with very well-defined product suites for the electronic manufacturing industry.
Customization of both technology and product means significant growth opportunity in the market.
Key end users of dimensional metrology in electronic manufacturing are the integrated circuit manufacturers, micro electro mechanical systems (MEMS) manufacturers, research and development labs, and electronic fabs (fabrications).
Due to increasing globalization, the electronic manufacturers in emerging markets are beginning to acknowledge the need for incorporating high-precision metrology equipment in their manufacturing as well as quality inspection.
At present, the global dimensional metrology market in electronic manufacturing is in a development stage with immense potential for growth over the next decade.
Dimensional metrology in electronic manufacturing is at the development stage and generated revenue of $Xmillion in 2012, at a growth rate of X% over the previous year.
Asian countries are expected to showcase more demand for low-cost applications, whereas developed countries, such as the US and Europe, use high-end machines for research and development activities.
A main factor driving demand for the dimensional metrology market in electronic manufacturing is the continuous development of advanced nanotechnology, flexible electronics, smart materials, and green manufacturing.
Even though few dimensional metrology manufacturers are focusing on building products for advanced electronic manufacturing using the latest technologies, such as a multi-sensor system, there are huge opportunities in Asia-Pacific market for selling low-cost dimensional metrology equipment.
Frost & Sullivan believes there will be moderate growth in Asia-Pacific, picking up a low double-digit growth over the next few years.
1. The market is growing at a slow but steady pace.
2. Reliability and flexibility solutions will gain greater prominence among end users.
3. Increasing indirect sales partnerships in the Asia-Pacific market are expected to bring in more leads.
4. There is a clear drive toward products with flexibility and multi-tasking capabilities.
5. Increasing the relationship with big semiconductor and consumer electronic manufacturers will increase sales of high-end machines.
This study is broadly categorized into the following segments:
Vision Measuring Machines (VMMs)
Measuring Microscopes: These are the oldest optical measurement systems in the world. They are constructed using two compound microscopes in order to perform both two and three-dimensional measurement. Initially an analog instrument, technological advancement has led to an interfacing with computers for better analysis.
Profile Projectors: The most common of vision equipment, these systems are very simple in principle. The image of the object under test is projected onto a screen with a two-dimensional axis present for measurement by reference. They can be classified as horizontal or vertical depending whether the line of vision is parallel or perpendicular to the ground.
Multi-sensor Systems: The working principle involves measurement of a test piece by means of different probes, both contact and non-contact. With instant capture and analysis using the most advanced video systems, they are categorized as manual and automated systems. The automated systems use computer numeric control (CNC) to make automatic measurements.
Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMM)
Bridge-type CMM: A bridge machine that has a horizontal frame supported by two vertical columns; the machine arm is vertically suspended to measure the work piece.
The gantry-type CMM, with horizontal arm and articulated arm machines, are not widely-provided solutions for dimensional metrology vendors in the medical devices industry. Hence, those technologies are not being covered in this study.
Optical Digitizer Scanner (ODS) Market
White Light Scanners: White light scanner machines are used to measure physical geometry. White light scanners are the most preferred for the measurement of physical geometrical characteristics.
Laser Tracker: The laser tracker technology is appropriate for measuring large objects in the automotive and aerospace industry. The research study focuses on semiconductor and consumer electronics in the electronic industry. Semiconductor boards and consumer electronics are relatively small in size. Measurement of small objects using laser tracker is not an appropriate solution for the electronics industry. Dimensional metrology vendors do not provide laser tracker technology solutions to the electronic industry. Hence, laser tracker technology is not covered in this study.
3D Laser Scanners: The usage of 3D laser scanners in electronic manufacturing has been limited. Hence, 3D laser scanners are not included in this study.
This research covers four regions, as defined below:
• North America: The United States and Canada
• Europe: Western and Eastern Europe, including Russia
• Asia-Pacific: Countries on the western border of the Pacific Ocean, including those on the Indo-Chinese Peninsula, the Pacific islands, and Central Asia
• Rest of World: Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Central America, and South America) and regions not mentioned above, particularly the Caribbean Islands, the Middle East, and Africa.
The study covers the following years:
• Base year: 2012
• Forecast period: 2013-2017
Key end-user segments include:
• Semiconductor manufacturers
• Semiconductor research and development companies
• System integrators
• Consumer electronics
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
• Is the market growing, how long will it continue to grow, and at what rate?
• Are the existing competitors structured correctly to meet customer needs?
• What are the latest key technological trends in the market? What impact do these trends have on the dimensional metrology market in electronic manufacturing?
• Is the market going back to the levels seen in 2008? How will the structure of the market change over time?
• Which of the regional markets represents most of the growth opportunities for the dimensional metrology products ?
• Which of the technology represent most of the growth opportunities for the dimensional metrology market in electronic manufacturing?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
Innovation Landscape Across the Globe Accelerating Developments in Manufacturing Flexible Electronics Cost Effectively The flexible electronics (FE) industry is witnessing enthusiastic participation from ...
“Surface mount technology market expected to exhibit significant growth potential between 2017 and 2022” The surface mount technology (SMT) market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.9% between 2017 ...
The Europe flexible electronics market is projected to grow during the forecast years. The flexible electronics market is anticipated to grow at an approximate CAGR of 26.25% during the forecast period ...