Table of Contents
Growth in Medical and Automotive Segments will Boost Equipment Sales
Surface mount technology (SMT) soldering equipment are being used in newer applications in various industries globally. The research service – analysis of the global SMT soldering equipment market – analyzes the current and future trends in the SMT soldering equipment market. The study includes product, technology, and regional market analyses, drivers and restraints, as well as a competitive analysis. This research service provides the necessary business intelligence to accelerate growth in this fast-paced market. The base year used in the study is 2012 and the forecast period is from 2013 to 2019.
• The global surface mount technology (SMT) soldering equipment industry is a growing market as it is finding newer applications in end-user industries such as automotive, consumer electronics, medical, and military applications. The reflow process consists of melting the solder paste and then cooling it to form a hardened state that attaches the component to the assembly.
• In wave systems, an assembly passes through molten solder and components are attached to the assembly when they come in contact with the solder.
• As a result of growth from some of the key end-user industries such as the mobile phones with their complex circuitry designs, sales in this market are increasing. This helps grow the SMT soldering equipment market, which is otherwise a mature market. It has also been indicated that the manufacturers are keen on keeping down the cost of the equipment to match the industry standards. The major strategy in pricing of these equipment lies in the cost-effective and value-added services of these equipment.
• These value adds keep the pricing in this market at a steady state and do not affect the procurement by the end users. The immense competition from the Chinese participants also helps the manufacturers to competitively price these equipment.
• Wave soldering equipment being replaced by reflow ovens was viewed as a major trend. Since the norm of using minimal lead in the electronics manufacturing came into place, wave soldering has been replaced by reflow ovens.
• The penetration rate of the reflow ovens in terms of the wave soldering is high. The end users are in the move to change their traditional wave soldering equipment to reflow soldering equipment.
1. With increased outsourcing in the electronics industry, the global SMT soldering equipment market will continue to flourish.
2. The soldering equipment will have maximum demand from consumer electronics segment.
3. The market is becoming increasingly competitive and, therefore, more price sensitive.
4. SMT equipment manufacturers are migrating towards niche markets.
5. The market will have increased demand from medical, aerospace and defense, and automotive markets. Equipment manufacturers would target companies that will buy high-end equipment.
• Electronics Manufacturing Service (EMS) Providers: EMS providers, also known as CEMs, are the strategic supply chain partners that provide manufacturing services to the original equipment manufacturers (OEMs). In general, EMS providers manufacture products designed by the OEMs, which are then sold under the OEMs’ brand names.
- EMS providers have also expanded their service offerings to include design and logistic services.
• Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs): OEMs are companies that design and manufacture products to sell under their own brand names. However, OEMs also outsource design, manufacturing, and other related operations to contract manufacturers.
• Original Design Manufacturers (ODMs): ODMs are companies that offer flexible design resources to OEMs. They also provide manufacturing services on a smaller scale compared to EMS providers. ODMs retain their intellectual property (IP) rights and sometimes sell products within the market under their own brand names.
• Automotive: For the purpose of this study, automotive encompasses “infotainment”, safety applications, power train electronics, navigation systems, body or chassis electronics, engine control modules, and instrumentation panels.
• Consumer Electronics: Consumer electronics include televisions, small kitchen appliances, white goods, Blu-ray players, digital cameras, MP3 players, gaming consoles, and other similar electronics.
• Telecommunication: Telecommunication includes mobile phones, smart phones, routers, and other communication devices.
• Computing and Storage: Computing and storage include computers, notebooks, tablets, servers, and similar devices.
• Industrial: Industrial includes medical, aerospace and defense, industrial electronics, and renewable energy markets.
• Selective soldering includes the soldering done using processes such as selective aperture pallet (masked) wave, mini solder wave with mask, programmed solder fountain, and programmed laser.
Key Questions this Study will Answer
• Is the SMT soldering equipment market growing? How long will it continue to grow, and at what rate?
• Is this an industry or a market? Will these companies continue to exist, or will they be acquired by other companies?
• Which are the high-growth segments, and how is the market segmented in terms of applications?
• Are the products offered currently meeting customers’ needs, or is additional development needed?
• Are the vendors in this market ready to do it alone, or do they need partnerships to take their business to the next level?
• Will these products become features in other markets?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
OEMs Plan to Embrace Servicification Model Targeting $50 Billion Aftersales Market While 200 New Start-ups Prepare to Disrupt the Industry with Unique Platform-based Business Models The 2017 connected ...
B2B eCommerce, Uberization of Repair Services will Draw Investment and Determine Competitive Strategy Global vehicles in operation will increase significantly over the 2017–2018 period, driving new opportunities ...
This IDC study provides data for ADAS and microprocessors for 2015-2020, with analysis and commentary."The increased adoption of more sophisticated ADAS function, which will eventually result in autonomous ...