Table of Contents
- Mega Trends in Latin America (LATAM) constitute the key trends that will shape the region’s economy, society, and culture.
- The objective of this research is to provide an overview of one Mega Trend: Smart is the New Green. It places special emphasis on the following elements: A Smart City, focusing on urbanization; Smart Energy, focusing on smart grids and smart meters; and Smart Cloud.
- The Mega Trend explained in this study is categorized into sub-trends associated with society, the economy, technology, energy, eMobility, infrastructure, business, health and wellness, political shifts, eGovernance, sports, and industry-specific trends.
- The service further explores the current “Smart” scenario and its potential for growth until 2025.
What is a Mega Trend?
Mega Trends are transformative, global forces that define the future world with their far-reaching impacts on businesses, societies, economies, cultures, and personal lives.
Why do Mega Trends Matter?
- Mega Trends have diverse meanings and impacts for different industries, companies, and individuals. An analysis of these Mega Trends and their implications forms an important component of a company’s future strategy, development, and innovation process, impacting product and technology planning.
- The following document sets the stage for visionary thinking by identifying the most important global Mega Trends in Latin America, potential scenarios of specific trends until 2025, and the implications of these Mega Trends in transforming society, markets, and cultures.
Top 10 Fast-forward Facts for Latin America—Did You Know That…
- About xx% of the total population, xx million people, in Latin America will live in urban areas in 2025; some cities, such as Santiago, Chile, will account for up to xx% of a country’s gross domestic product (GDP) in 2025.
- Latin America will have 5 Mega Cities, 4 Mega Regions, 11 Sustainable Cities, and 2 Mega Corridors by 2025.
- Latin America’s population is expected to reach million people by 2025. People between and years of age will represent about xx% of the total population, making it one of the youngest regions globally.
- The over-60 population will reach almost xxmillion people. This demographic is likely to represent an emerging consumer segment, as its purchasing power is expected to increase by xx% from 2010 to 2020.
- Due to the “She-conomy,” women are to account for % of Latin America’s working population and xx% of its decision-maker positions in 2025.
- Latin America’s GDP will reach $ trillion in 2025. Brazil and Mexico will continue to be the largest economies in the region.
- Broadband subscribers will grow at a xx% average annual growth rate (AAGR) from 2011 to 2016, and they will amount to more thanxxmillion by 2016.
- Major airport projects in Latin America, with investments of approximately $xx billion by 2020, are likely to boost the flow of people between countries and increase commercial trade.
- Healthcare expenditures in Latin America are projected to grow xx% from 2011 to 2015, reaching $xx billion.
- Latin America’s goal is to produce gigawatts (GW) of renewable energy by 2020 across the region, out of which wind power is likely to represent xxGW.
Summary of Top Mega Trends
Urbanization: Latin America’s urban population will reach close to xxmillion by 2025. Cities will expand their limits and even merge with other cities. Population needs will boost infrastructure development in cities. Major trends in urbanization in Latin America include Mega Cities, Mega Corridors, Mega Regions, and satellite towns.
Mega Cities: Mega Cities are those with populations of over xxmillion and a GDP of $xxbillion and above. Latin America will have 5 Mega Cities in 2025. Aboutxx% of the total population, or around xxmillion, is expected to live in urban regions in 2025.
Mega Regions: Cities are combining with suburbs to form regions with populations that exceed xx million. Latin America is to have xxMega Regions by 2025.
Mega Corridors: Corridors connecting 2 or more Mega Cities or Mega Regions form Mega Corridors. Latin America will have xxMega Corridors by 2025.
Mega Slums: A Mega Slum is defined as xxmillion urban poor living in an area measuring just xx square miles. In 2025, xx million people in Latin America are likely to be living in Mega Slums.
Sustainable Cities: Cities that have been built on eco-friendly, sustainable initiatives that cut across some or all levels of infrastructure, housing, transport systems, and healthcare are Sustainable Cities. These cities are either built from scratch or are upgrades of existing cities. Latin America is expected to have xx Sustainable Cities by 2025, and none will be built from scratch.
Social Trends: Latin America’s population is expected to reach xx million by 2025. People betweenxxand xxyears of age will represent around xx% of the total population.
Generation Y: Generation Y (Gen Y) is the most educated, affluent, assertive, and information technology- (IT-) literate generation in history. These digital natives, who are betweenxx andxxears old, have distinct values, beliefs, attitudes, lifestyles, and behavioral patterns that will, in 2025, influence products, technological development, and marketing strategies. Constituting xx% of the total Latin American population in 2025, Generation Y will be highly adaptive to change, ready to experiment with new technologies, and have a high purchasing power.
Six Degrees Apart: Social networking users are expected to reachxx million in Latin America by 2025. Facebook accounts will reach xx million—more than half of the population will use this social network.
“She-conomy:” Women will account for xx% of the total working population in Latin America in 2025. This, combined with a closing income gap between men and women, has created a rising consumer segment with high purchasing power. Business interaction models are likely to adapt to the needs of modern women.
The Middle Bulge: In 2025, xx% of Latin Americans are expected to be considered middle class. This middle bulge will constitute a strong income group with more thanxxmillion individuals, representing a huge market opportunity for white goods and automobile makers.
Net Migration: The Latin American boom in economic growth and social development is encouraging intra-region migration and reducing emigration. In 2020, net migration is expected to decline by xx%. Brazil is expected to become a hot spot that attracts people from other countries and regions, such as the United States and the United Kingdom. The domestic market and labor force will increase as a consequence.
Aging Population: While the population in Latin America will still be considered young in 2020, the over-60 population will reach almost xx million. This segment is likely to represent an emerging consumer segment, as its purchasing power is expected to increase xx% from 2010 to 2020. This segment is likely to increase demand for healthcare services and recreation activities.
Latin American Economy: Latin America’s GDP is expected to reach $xx trillion by 2025. By then, the economy is likely to grow at an annual rate of xx%. Even though it will not be one of the fastest-growing emerging regions, Latin America is expected to grow at a stable pace. Brazil and Mexico will continue to be the largest economies in the region. In Brazil, the xx biggest states will contribute to xx% of the country’s GDP by 2020. Santa Catarina’s location near Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires makes it a state with one of the highest expected economic growth rates in Brazil. In Mexico, regional growth is more balanced, as the top xxstates will contribute to only xx% of the country’s GDP in 2020.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
The expansion of the global electric generator and motor industry is forecast to reach 0.6% p.a. in the coming years. Between 2010 and 2016 the market increased with an average annual growth of 3.8%. Currently, ...
The report package Electric Generator and Motor Market in Asia to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts offers the most up-to-date industry data on the actual market situation, and future outlook ...
The report package Electric Generating Set Market in Asia to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts offers the most up-to-date industry data on the actual market situation, and future outlook fo ...