Table of Contents
Capital Expansion Projects in the Power Sector will Drive Growth
The research service provides a composite analysis of the sub-Saharan Africa’s (SSA's) automation and control solutions (ACS) market for the period of 2009 to 2019, focussing on the top 3 countries. Nigeria, Kenya, and Mozambique have been identified as key countries of interest. The research service presents a discussion of market drivers and restraints of the SSA ACS market in the power sector for the period 2013 to 2019. This is followed by market share and competitive analysis, as well as a detailed power project section for Nigeria, Kenya, and Mozambique. A summarised conclusion of the study has also been included.
•This research service provides a high-level analysis of the sub-Saharan African (SSA) automation and control solutions (ACS) market for the power sector from 2009 to 2019 period.
•This study aims to present the top X countries in the SSA region (aside from South Africa) with ACS demand in the power sector with a focus on projects that will be driving growth.
•For the purposes of this analysis, Nigeria, Kenya, and Mozambique were identified and profiled based on their strong growth potential (from a power sector perspective) in 2013 and beyond.
•After a strong revenue growth of X% in 2011, the profiled countries power sector ACS markets had higher demand growth of X% in 2012. This was driven by the implementation of major capital expansion projects in South Africa, the sub-region’s largest end-user market.
•Distributed control solutions (DCS) purchases accounted for the bulk of SSA ACS power market revenues (X%), followed by the programmable logic controller (PLC) segment with a X% revenue share.
•The supervisory control and data acquisition (Scada), human machine interface (HMI), and manufacturing execution system (MES) segments ranked 3rd, 4th, and 5th with respective shares of X%, X%, and X% in 2012.
•Based on this trend, DCS purchases will continue to account for the bulk of ACS market purchases during the forecast period.
•Stronger revenue growth is, however, forecast for the PLC segment as these product types continue to gain functionality, allowing them to operate similar to a small- to medium-sized DCS.
•Wider acceptance of MES technologies within the power industries will contribute to this product segment, expected to have a strong growth between 2012 and 2019.
•Modest revenue growth is also forecast for the HMI and Scada markets, driven by new investment purchases and retrofits of the ageing installed base.
1. The ACS market in SSA’s power sector is forecast to grow at a CAGR of X% between 2012 and 2019.
2. DCS and PLC purchases will continue to account for the bulk of ACS purchases between 2012 and 2019.
3. The power sector in Nigeria provides the greatest opportunity for ACS suppliers.
4. Product innovation, understanding clients’ needs through the supply of quality products, and service support are key revenue growth factors.
5. ACS sales through system integrators and distributors continue to increase at the expense of direct sales, particularly for the smaller ACS product types.
Market Overview—Introduction to Sub-Saharan Africa Economy
Member Countries, Sub-Saharan Africa, 2012:
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of Congo
Republic of the Congo
São Tomé and Príncipe
•Three countries were selected for the focused analysis based on the following criteria:
- Regional location (each country has been selected from the East, West, and Central Africa).
- GDP in $ billion.
- Power generation installed base and
- Planned power sector capacity expansion projects.
•‘Top’ does not necessarily mean countries with the highest growth rate in the power sector, but refers to key countries of interest with unique power- generation capabilities.
•Based on the above Nigeria, Kenya, and Mozambique were selected for this analysis.
Market Overview—ACS demand in Sub-Saharan Africa’s Power Sector
•Demand for automation products, solutions, and services are on the increase in SSA’s power sector.
•Power companies are increasing their investment in automation technologies with the primary purpose of increasing productivity and improving resource and energy efficiency.
•Other key contributors to growth in the sector demand for automation equipment include an enhanced focus on reducing operating costs, improving profitability, maintaining a global competitive advantage (through low-cost production), and safety and environmental concerns.
•Key automation technologies installed within SSA’s power sector include DCS, PLC, Scada, and HMI.
•Buoyed by the increase in demand for automation technologies, SSA’s ACS market within the power sector is expected to have significant revenue growth during the forecast period.
•Factors expected to boost ACS demand include the power sector’s planned investment in upgrading existing infrastructure and capacity expansion spends.
•The study endeavors to provide an up-to-date analysis of SSA’s ACS market, including high-level discussions of growth opportunities for existing and potential market participants.
Research Scope and Objectives—Scope and Segmentation
•The geographic scope for this analysis will be limited to:
- South Africa*
*Note: South Africa ACS market is used as a reference to provide forecast for the profiled countries’ markets. In the study, South Africa is not discussed in detail as a separate Regional Breakdown.
•The product scope for this analysis consists of:
•The industry application scope for this analysis will focus on:
- Power Generation
- Power Transmission
- Power Distribution
Research Scope and Objectives—Aims and Objectives
Research Aim: Although South Africa offers the greatest ACS opportunities in the power industry, the market is fairly mature. ACS suppliers are largely based in South Africa and are looking to grow their geographic footprint. This study aims to uncover opportunities that local ACS suppliers could benefit from.
The Core Objectives of the Study are:
• To highlight the key market drivers and restraints of SSA’s ACS market within the power sector.
• To provide an estimate of the size of the ACS market within the power sector, focusing on Nigeria, Kenya, and Mozambique.
• To evaluate the competitive environment of SSA’s ACS market.
• To provide forecasts for Nigeria, Kenya, and Mozambique's ACS market within the power sector.
• To identify opportunities and make recommendations for future growth of SSA’s ACS market.
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
• Is SSA ACS market growing in the power sector and at what rate will it continue to grow between 2012 and 2019?
• From a supplier perspective, what are the industry’s key competitive factors and best practices?
• Which factors are driving growth and progression of SSA’s ACS market in the power sector?
• Which factors are driving growth and progression of the ACS market in Nigeria’s power sector?
• Which factors are driving growth and progression of the ACS market in Kenya’s power sector?
• Which factors are driving growth and progression of the ACS market in Mozambique’s power sector?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
“Growing need for cost effective data center cooling solutions is one of the drivers driving the data center cooling market” The global data center cooling size is estimated to grow from USD 7.12 ...
“Plasterboard market projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.7%” The plasterboard market size is projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.7% during the forecast period of 2016–2021 and reach USD 23.85 billion ...
Use this report to: - Identify present and emerging technologies, suppliers, and market strategies in the building-integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) industry. - Quantify the range of BIPV markets for various ...