This research report presents shipment volume and value forecast and recent quarter review of the Greater China notebook PC industry, including the netbook PC industry. The report includes shipment volume and value, ASP, manufacturer volume ranking, shipment by tier, shipment by maker, and shipment by price point, and product mix analysis. The content of this report is based on primary data obtained through interviews with notebook PC makers. The report finds that the Greater China notebook PC industry's shipment volume in the second quarter of 2013 slipped 1.0% sequentially and 17.9% year-on-year. The industry's backtracked performance is mainly due to the rise of Chinese vendors. As the worldwide PC market continues to have a gloomy prospect, branded vendors such as Samsung and Lenovo plan to cut outsourcing orders, leading to a further decline in the industry's shipment volume share in by the end of 2013. Looking ahead to the third quarter, it is expected that the industry will post a positive sequential growth in both shipment volume and value, and the momentum will continue well into the last quarter.
The report covers the following topics:
1. Market Analysis and Forecasts: A Taiwanese assessment of the market size (unit shipments and values) and forecasts for the notebook PC shipments from 2011 to 2014
2. Industry Value Chain: Analysis of the notebook PC value chain with indicative revenue assessments of key market players across the value chain and predictions about the notebook PC industry evolution
1. Notebook PC Vendor
2. Notebook PC Contract Manufacturer
4. System Integrator
5. IC Supplier
6. Other Component Suppier
7. Investment Firms
This research focuses on notebook PCs with screen sizes of 7-inch and larger. They can be divided by form factor into one-spindle, two-spindle, and all-in-one. Notebook PCs in this study are further segmented into full system and barebones assembly levels
Companies surveyed include Taiwanese notebook PC makers operating ODM, OEM, EMS, CEM, OBM, and private label businesses; production sites and shipment destinations include Taiwan, China, Japan, South Korea, Southeast Asia, North America, Latin America, Western Europe and other European countries, and other regions.
1. The shipment volume of the Greater China notebook PC industry reached around 35.91 million units, down 1.0% sequentially and 17.9% year-on-year in the second quarter of 2013.
2. The shipment value of the Greater China notebook PC industry, leading to a 12.6% sequential decline in the second quarter of 2013.
3. With enhanced CPU performance and reduced cost, notebook PCs equipped with new Atom platforms are expected to have a higher level of price competitiveness.
4. By the second quarter of 2013, penetration of touch-control notebook PCs hit a ceiling as consumers' zeal for such products faded away, leading to a higher inventory risks to vendors.
5. The shipment share of the Taiwanese notebook PC industry will drop to 85% in 2013 against 89% in 2012, down 13% year on year.