Table of Contents
Use this report to:
- Assess global market and quantify the demands for flame retardant chemicals by chemical type and end-use application over the years 2016 to 2022.
- l Understand current market dynamics and identify major trends and shifts in the industry and relate these to future opportunities and restrains for flame retardant chemicals.
- Gain insight into the leading market players in the flame retardant additives business, and their corporate profiles.
- The global consumption of flame retardant chemicals reached nearly 5.4 billion pounds in 2016. The market should reach 5.6 billion pounds in 2017 and 7.3 billion pounds by 2022, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.4%, from 2017 to 2022.
- Aluminum trihydrate (ATH), as a flame retardant chemical had the largest market share by volume in 2016, i.e., an estimated 25.3% of the total.
- The volume of bromine-based flame retardant chemicals consumed is expected to reach 1.8 billion pounds by 2022, i.e., an estimated of 24.8% of the total.
Introduction & Scope
STUDY GOAL AND OBJECTIVES
This report is an update of an earlier BCC Research report published in 2015. It is intended to provide an up-to-date analysis of the worldwide market for flame retardant chemicals. The report covers the market size, growth and trends for this essential component of the chemical industry. It evaluates specific market segments by size, projected growth and probable changes as the result of new regulations and emerging technologies.
This report will accomplish the following:
- Review trends in major global markets (industries, applications) for flame retardant chemicals.
- Evaluate new technology that is expected to impact the industry.
- Examine current regulations and potential new regulations.
- Forecast sales of flame retardant chemicals through 2022, buy chemical type, application and industry.
- List and discuss the major companies in the market.
REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
Flame retardants have been used since Roman times for applications such as textiles and wood. The flame retardant industry expanded in the 1970s when synthetic materials became popular in the manufacture of products. The demand for and the use of these flammable synthetic-based products led to governments around the world requiring companies producing these synthetic products to make them safer from fire. Therefore, in most countries, flame retardant chemicals are required and/or driven by government regulations. Over the last 40 years, as flame retardant chemicals became widely used in furniture, electronics, textiles, construction and many other items in use daily, the negative side effects of exposure to these chemicals have become apparent. These negative effects occurred directly by causing illness, or indirectly by causing damage to the environment, resulting in illness.
Today, many organizations and governments are reassessing the benefits of flame retardants against the negative side effects that cause harm to human health or the environment. Therefore, the flame retardant chemicals industry is in a state of transition, as some widely used flame retardant chemicals are being phased out. At the same time, emerging technology provides promise for continued flame retardant protection while reducing or eliminating the toxic effects. Additionally, some states are allowing the complete removal of flame retardant chemicals in some applications in an effort to give consumers the choice of avoiding exposure to their toxic effects. Although this will have immediate health benefits to these consumers, they will be at risk should they experience a fire as they may not have the necessary protection.
This BCC Research report, CHM014N Flame Retardant Chemicals: Technologies and Global Markets, details the use of flame retardant chemicals in plastics, textiles, wood/paper, coatings/paper, coatings/construction and coatings/decorations applications. Individuals whose business produces flame retardant chemicals or products that require flame retardancy should find this report helpful in strategic planning, providing access to useful information.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This study is an in-depth evaluation of flame retardant chemicals by type and by end-use application over the years 2016-2022. The forecast will cover worldwide demand and be broken down by chemical type and application. Because electronics are so widely used in the world today and they are housed most often in plastics, this segment will be emphasized.
DATA SOURCES AND METHODOLOGY
The market data and projections in this study were derived using forecast data for several industries, including electronics, construction, housing, plastics, textiles, oil and paints/coatings. The baseline data are based on consumption of raw materials (for commodity chemicals) and published consumption data (for non-commodity chemicals), including annual reports and interviews with industry experts. To make projections for the future of the flame retardant chemicals market, a correlation between products using flame retardant chemicals and the annual sales of flame retardant chemicals was developed. Interviews were conducted with individuals with expertise in flame retardant raw materials, flame retardant chemical companies and end-user company representatives to compile a full picture of the future of the flame retardant chemical marketplace. Hundreds of information sources were consulted in the preparation of this study, including industry experts, research databases, technical abstracts, commerce publications, government sources, annual reports and trade information combined with the author’s own experience. This document deals with flame retardant chemical additives, and not with products such as Nafion that are inherently flame retardant.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Amrita
+1 718 303 2019
“Industrial floor coating market projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.0%” The industrial floor coating market size is projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.0% during the forecast period of 2016–2021 and ...
Trends, opportunities and forecast in this market to 2021 by material (bitumen, PVC, polyurethane, TPO, EPDM, and others), application (roofing and wall, building structures, water and waste water management, ...
This report provides insight into the current market scenario, structure and practices. In depth market scenario includes: - Current market size estimate - Revenues by players - Top 5 Companies - Market ...