Table of Contents
Increasing World Vehicle Fleet will Stimulate Platinum Production in Southern Africa
This research service provides a detailed and up-to-date market intelligence on production and investment trends in the platinum mining industry in Southern Africa. Southern Africa hosts over 87% of the world's platinum group metal deposits and accounted for 79% of platinum in 2012. South Africa and Zimbabwe are key producers of platinum group metals in the world. Large-scale expansion projects coupled with the development of smelters and refineries will consolidate Southern Africa's position as the largest producer of platinum group metals in the world.
- This research service provides an up-to-date analysis of the production and investment trends in Southern Africa’s platinum mining industry between 2006 and 2018.
- Southern Africa is the world’s largest platinum producing region, accounting for % of the global platinum production in 2012.
- South Africa and Zimbabwe are the key producers of platinum in the Southern African region and the two countries host approximately xx% of the global platinum deposits.
- The two countries are key participants in the global platinum mining industry and disruption to platinum production in these countries has the potential to affect the global platinum industry.
- South Africa, which is the world’s largest platinum producer, accounted for % of the global new mine supply of platinum while Zimbabwe accounted for xx% of the global platinum production in 2012.
- New mine supply of platinum from the Southern African region declined from xx million ounces in 2006 to xx million ounces in 2012 due to the declining global demand for platinum, safety-related production stoppages and the difficult labour relations environment in South Africa.
- Zimbabwe’s platinum production has been increasing between 2006 and 2012, but the government’s indigenisation policy that requires all companies in the country to cede % shareholding to indigenous Zimbabweans, has resulted in a slow down in the investment activity in the country’s platinum mining industry.
- There are a total of platinum expansion projects in Southern Africa’s platinum mining industry that were together worth $xx billion in 2012.
- South Africa has xx pre-feasibility, bankable feasibility, and construction-stage platinum projects worth $xxbillion in all, accounting for xx% of the total platinum projects in Southern Africa in 2012.
- Zimbabwe has four prefeasibility, bankable feasibility, and construction-stage projects that are collectively worth $xx billion, accounting for xx% of the total platinum projects in Southern Africa in 2012.
- There are xx pre-feasibility stage platinum projects in Southern Africa that are collectively worth $xx billion and they are owned by small-to medium-sized platinum mining companies.
- Jubilee Platinum’s Tjate and Zimbabwe Platinum Ltd’s (Zimplats) Ngezi Phase 3 project are major prefeasibility stage projects in Southern Africa’s platinum mining industry.
- Southern Africa’s platinum mining industry hosts construction-stage projects and four bankable feasibility stage projects that were collectively worth $xx billion in 2012.
- Impala Platinum’s Ltd’s (Implats) shaft numbers 16,17, and 20, and Anglo Platinum’s Limited’s (Amplats) Tumela 4 shaft and Styldrift projects are some of the major construction stage projects.
- Slowing global economic conditions and softening demand for platinum have resulted in Amplats suspending its expansion projects such as Styldrift and Twickenham projects.
- Southern Africa’s platinum production is predicted to witness a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) at ofxx% between 2012 and 2018.
- The state of the global automotive market, particularly the European and US markets, will have a significant bearing on the growth of Southern Africa’s platinum mining industry.
- The difficult labour relations environment and safety-related production stoppages will continue to impact South Africa’s platinum production.
- Increasing political and economic uncertainties in Zimbabwe will impact on the country’s platinum investment projects.
- Suspension of large-scale platinum expansion projects in Southern Africa will limit the region’s capacity to increase its platinum production.
- Understanding the production trends in the platinum mining industry in Southern Africa between 2006 and 2018.
- Providing company- and country-level production forecasts for the platinum mining industry in Southern Africa between 2006 and 2018.
- Understanding Southern Africa’s platinum mining industry’s capital expenditure trends and discussing the expansion projects between 2012 and 2016.
- Providing insights into the factors that drive and restrain the growth of the platinum mining industry in Southern Africa.
Scope of the Study
- The study will focus on production, investment, and capital expenditure trends in Southern Africa’s platinum mining industry.
- This research service will focus on platinum production at the country and company levels in Southern Africa’s platinum mining industry.
- This research service will focus on capital expenditure trends and expansion projects in Southern Africa’s platinum mining industry.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
“Stringent emission regulations and increasing vehicle production & parc are driving the catalytic converter market” The catalytic converter market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 8.05%, to reach ...
About Platinum Group Metals PGMs consist of six chemical elements, which include platinum, palladium, rhodium, ruthenium, osmium, and iridium that are clustered together in the periodic table. These elements ...
The past month has seen caution return to the commodity markets. Equity markets edged lower and indicators of market fear, such as the VIX Index, rose. Sharp falls in oil and thermal coal prices helped ...