Table of Contents
Energy Storage Applications Contribute to a Strong Growth Potential for Lithium-ion Batteries
This research analyses the lithium-ion battery market for industrial applications in Europe and presents revenue forecasts, pricing analysis, market share analysis, trends and opportunities, and competitive overview for a time period of 2009 to 2017. The market is divided into six segments based on the applications for lithium-ion batteries. These are industrial tools, medical devices, aerospace and defence, data collection, energy storage, telecom, and data communication. Unit shipment and revenue forecast, key trends, and drivers and restraints have been provided for each segment.
- The European lithium-ion battery market has high growth prospects for industrial applications, specifically in the medical, tools and energy storage segments.
- The role of Asian cell manufacturers is limited to very few industrial applications, while many regional vendors are targetting specific industrial applications.
- Acquisitions and joint ventures between US majors and European manufacturers shows the growth potential for industrial applications in Europe.
- ReStore Energy Systems, the lithiun-ion division of Exide Technologies in the United States, is operating in Europe as well, to utilise the growth opportunities available there.
- Government regulations and legislations play a major role in some industrial applications such as renewable energy storage and data communication (datacom) systems.
- Economic growth in Central and Eastern European countries augment growth of industrial applications like oil and gas equipments and power tools.
1. Growth prospects for lithium-ion batteries in large scale energy storage industry.
2. Competition from global market for niche industrial and defence applications.
3. Growth opportunities for lithium-ion batteries in emerging industrial applications.
4. Presence of many local European manufacturers and high level of competition.
5. Untapped potential in marine, oil and gas, and mining industries.
- This study analyses the demand for lithium-ion batteries for industrial applications across Europe.
- Lithium-ion batteries are used widely for consumer applications such as laptops, cameras, mobile phones, etc. However, with technology advancing and improving everyday, lithium-ion batteries are now making their way into the industrial market, which is dominated by technologies such as lead acid, nickel cadmium, and nickel metal hydride.
- The lithium-ion battery market is still very nascent, with a high potential for growth in Europe.
- This study contains revenue Forecast, growth opportunities, factors influencing market growth and competitive structure of the lithium-ion battery market in Europe for industrial applications.
- The study includes all chemistries of lithium-ion batteries along with lithium polymer batteries.
- Since some applications require flexibility in shape and design, some manufacturers opt for lithium polymer batteries. This is within the scope of this study.
- The difference between lithium-ion and lithium-ion polymer is its construction in terms of the arrangement of electrodes and electrolyte. Hence, this study considers lithium-ion polymer as a type of lithium-ion battery.
- The regions covered include Western, Central and Eastern Europe.
- Western Europe consists of Germany, Italy, France, the United Kingdom, Spain, Portugal, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Austria, and Switzerland.
- Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) is comprised of Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovania, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, and Serbia.
Definition of Units
- One unit of lithium-ion battery described in this study refers to a single cell of a nominal voltage rating in the range of X toX V.
- This study includes both lithium-ion and lithium polymer cells for units shipment analysis.
- One unit of cell includes both cylindrical and prismatic cell design, used for industrial applications.
Definition of Prices
- Price of a single unit of cell refers to the average price when the battery is shipped from the battery manufacturer. It does not include the cost incurred by value added services, distributors, resellers and the like.
Definition of Revenue
- Revenue described in this study refers to the manufacturer’s earnings on shipping the units to the original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) or directly to end customers.
- Industrial Equipment—cordless drills (XV, XV and XV), cordless hammer drills (XV and XV), garden tools, heavy-duty industrial equipment used in marine equipment (excluding back up), alarms in industrial facilities.
- Medical Devices—portable monitoring and surgical devices, neurostimulators, prosthetic devices, defibrillators (AED), infusion pumps, respirators, and homecare equipment.
- Aerospace and Defence—tactical communication units (radios), man portable devices, thermal imaging equipment, improved target acquisition system (ITAS), lasers, rail guns, and electric armour, global position systems, naval operations, satellite power sources, orbiting survey equipment, aircraft auxiliary power unit.
- Data Collection—electronic monitoring devices in oil and gas exploration, mining sites, electronic surveying devices, portable meters, automated meters, RFID bar code readers, toll gate transponders, vehicle telematics, test and measurement devices, and sensors.
- Telecom and Data Communication—power source and back up for central offices (CO), distributed power for central office (DPCO), mobile switching centre (MSC), portable radio communication, private mobile radio equipment, base transceiver station (BTS) (XV cylindrical cells); one module has XKWh capacity (XV with X Ah capacity) spaced in a X” rack.
- Energy Storage—to store renewable energy (residential energy storage and community energy storage including on-grid and off-grid systems), and backup applications for marine, oil and gas exploration sites.
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
- What are the growth opportunities for lithium-ion batteries that have a large untapped potential?
- What is the market potential for major industrial segments that lithium-ion batteries cater to within Europe?
- What is the role of regional niche participants and how do they influence competition?
- How diverse is the nature of each of the industrial applications?
- What are the mega trends that will have an impact on this market in the future?
- What is the level of market competitiveness among major participants in Europe?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
“Lithium ion battery market expected to exhibit significant growth potential between 2016 and 2022” The lithium ion battery market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 16.6% between 2016 and 2022 to be ...
About E-Bike An e-bike, commonly known as an electric bicycle, is a bike that has an electric motor aligned to the pedals of the bicycle, which supplies the differential force required for the forward ...
About Ultrasonic Metal Welding Equipment Ultrasonic welding is a technique used to join dissimilar metals. In this process, generally high-frequency ultrasonic vibrations are locally applied under high ...