Table of Contents
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
BCC began tracking the bioactive materials market in 2006. Since then, the market has been growing at a fairly rapid rate, primarily driven by increasing demand for synthetic materials for tissue replacement in medical applications.
With this study, BCC Research continues its commitment to monitoring the bioactive materials market by providing an updated review of the most important advances in bioactive material technology and fabrication methods and offering a detailed overview of the current market, including a quantitative and objective analysis of prospects for future growth.
Specifically, the major objectives of this study are to:
• Provide an updated review of bioactive material, focusing on materials and fabrication technologies.
• Highlight new technological developments during the past three years, while outlining current technical issues.
• Identify current and emerging applications for bioactive materials.
• Estimate current global markets for bioactive materials by type, product shape, application and region, with growth forecasts through 2018 for each market segment.
• Identify important technology and industry trends within each market segment.
• Offer an updated review of current industry players, including manufacturers of bioactive materials, technology developers and future market participants.
• Provide a description of the most relevant research and development activities.
• Determine trends in recently issued U.S. patents.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS STUDY
Bioactive materials represent a category of biomaterials materials that react with body tissues and fluids without adverse reactions in the body. They can be made from different types of materials, such as ceramics, glass, glass-ceramics and composites.
While the global biomaterials market is currently quite large, estimated to reach revenues of approximately $50 billion in 2013, the share represented by bioactive materials is a relatively small fraction of this market (less than 2%); however, it represents one of the fastest growing segments, with double-digit growth forecast through 2018.
The increased market penetration of these materials is attributed to different factors, including, for example, a rising demand for tissue replacement materials needed in surgical procedures used to treat a rapidly growing elderly population.
The principal objective of this report is to present a current assessment of the bioactive materials industry from both a technological and market point of view and to outline future trends and key developments.
There is also a need to evaluate the current status and future trends of this market from a global standpoint. As the use of these products expands and new fields of application emerge, information on the suppliers and developers of bioactive materials and their regional distribution becomes more valuable.
An equally important reason for undertaking this report is to provide technical insights into the manufacturing of bioactive materials by:
• Providing a review of materials, applications and production methods.
• Identifying current technical trends.
• Providing an overview of the main global R&D activities related to bioactive materials, resulting in the issuance of patents.
• Illustrating the latest technological developments.
This information can assist companies in identifying opportunities for process and productivity improvements and new product development, resulting in a positive impact on future market growth.
This study will be of primary interest to all organizations that:
• Manufacture, sell and distribute bioactive materials and other biomaterials.
• Supply raw materials for the production of bioactive materials.
• Manufacture process equipment utilized during fabrication of bioactive materials.
• Utilize bioactive materials for dental and medical care, cosmetic and pharmaceutical products, food packaging, antibacterial items and other products.
• Provide technical and/or marketing services in conjunction with the above mentioned products.
• Are planning to enter the bioactive materials industry as a supplier, manufacturer or end user.
Overall, this report applies to industry segments such as medicine/surgery, dentistry/periodontics, bioengineering, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics/personal care and packaging.
The report is mainly directed toward executives, directors, surgeons, dentists, healthcare professionals, production managers, sales and marketing managers, and strategic planners working within the above industries. Universities and research facilities may also find this report to be a good source of technical information regarding bioactive materials, fabrication processes and applications, which can be used as a baseline for new or expanded R&D activities. Librarians of technical information and research centers can also use this report to provide critical data to healthcare personnel, product managers, market analysts, researchers and other professionals needing detailed and updated insights into the bioactive materials industry.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This report provides an updated review of bioactive materials and their production processes and identifies current and emerging applications for this technology.
BCC Research delineates the current market status for bioactive materials, defines trends and presents growth forecasts for the next five years. Market analysis is based on the following segments: material type, product shape, application and region. In addition, technological issues, including key events and the latest process developments, are also discussed.
More specifically, BCC’s market analysis is divided into five sections.
In the first section, an introduction to the topic and a historical review of bioactive materials are provided, including an outline of recent events. In this section, current and emerging applications for bioactive materials are also identified and described.
The second section provides a technological review of the various types of bioactive materials and their fabrication methods, with a focus on materials of recent development and innovative production processes. The most important technological developments since 2010 are described, including examples of significant patents recently issued and patent applications recently filed. This section concludes by highlighting the most active research organizations operating in this field.
The third section presents a global market analysis of bioactive materials. Global revenues (sales data in millions of dollars) are presented for each segment (material type, product shape, application and region) with actual data for the years 2011 and 2012 and estimated revenues for 2013. The analysis of current revenues for bioactive materials is followed by a detailed presentation of market growth trends, based on industry growth, technological trends and regional trends. The third section concludes by providing projected revenues for bioactive materials within each segment, together with forecast compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for 2013 through 2018.
In the fourth section of the study, which covers the global industry structure, the report offers a list of the leading manufacturers of bioactive materials, together with a description of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographical distribution of these suppliers and an evaluation of other key industry players. Detailed company profiles of the top players are also provided.
The fifth and final section includes an extensive U.S. patent analysis, with a summary of patents related to bioactive materials and their fabrication methods and applications. The patents examined in this study were issued from 2011 through 2013. Patent analysis is performed by region, country, assignee, patent category, application and material type.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
To analyze the overall market and market segments, both primary and secondary research methodologies were used to obtain market data.
The technology section of this report is based on information derived from technical literature, related BCC reports, professional journals, the author’s field experience and online sources.
Global market analysis was performed by a thorough investigation of manufacturers of bioactive materials, raw material suppliers, producers of equipment used in manufacturing and testing these materials, and developers of new technologies, accounting for at least 90% of the global market. Data were obtained from the direct contribution of primary sources, including company executives, managers, engineers and other technical personnel representing manufacturers, developers and users of bioactive materials and related technologies; representatives of academia and trade associations; and industry market analysts.
Additional data for each company were obtained by thoroughly analyzing Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings, websites, annual reports, industry directories, industry magazines and catalogs, government sources and other public sources.
Secondary sources of information include but are not limited to:
• U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filings.
• U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
• European Patent Office.
• Company websites.
• Company annual reports.
• Thomas Register.
• Moody’s Directory.
• S&P Industry Survey.
• Dun & Bradstreet Business Directory.
• Foreign Chamber of Commerce Directories.
• Foreign stock exchange listings.
• American Ceramic Society Publications.
• American Chemical Society Publications.
In addition to utilizing the above primary and secondary sources, market growth trends and forecasts were compiled by gaining additional insights from relevant financial and market information, relevant BCC reports and the author’s own in-depth and comprehensive analysis of the collected information.
This report provides:
• Descriptions of various types of bioactive materials (i.e., glasses, glass-ceramics, ceramics, and composites), including biological materials such as proteins and enzymes; their fabrication methods (including variants and upgrades); and identification of current and potential applications for each type
• Analyses of the industry on a worldwide basis from the standpoint of both manufacturing and consumption, with data for 2011 and 2012, estimates for 2013, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2018
• Examinations of commercial and public research activities in major regions of the world
• Comprehensive profiles of the top companies in the industry
• An in-depth patent analysis.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
Use this report to: - Analyze nanocomposites that are in commercial use or under development, associated technologies and applications. - Provide suppliers of advanced materials, entrepreneurs, investors ...
The biomaterials market is projected to reach 149.17 billion by 2021 million from 70.90 billion in 2016, at a CAGR of 16.0%. Factors such as increasing funds and grants by governments worldwide, rising ...
“The self-healing materials market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 95.0% during the forecast period” The global self-healing materials market is projected to reach USD 2,447.7 million by 2021, at ...