Table of Contents
Back-up and Prime Power Requirements Keep the Market Buoyant
This research service covers the current state and future potential of the diesel generator sets Markets in the Asia-Pacific region. The study covers Southeast Asia, and Australia and New Zealand regions. It provides an in-depth analysis of the drivers, restraints and their impacts in the forecast period. The end-user type covered in this study includes residential, commercial, industrial, and utility.
All forecasts are provided region-wise. Power output capacity covered in the study include 20 kW-60 kW, 61 kW-300 kW, 301 kW-500 kW, 501 kW-1 MW, 1.1 MW-3 MW. Unit order capacity is also covered for the entire study period.
• The Asia-Pacific (APAC) diesel generator sets market was valued at $X million in 2012 and is expected to reach $X million in 2017, registering a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of X% between 2012 and 2017. In 2012, the industrial segment was the highest revenue contributor among the end users, and stand-by generator sets segment was the highest revenue contributor in terms of application type.
• In APAC, diesel generator sets are predominantly used as back-up as the region has a well-developed power infrastructure that supplies low-cost electricity from the utility grid.
• The demand pattern in diesel generator sets depends on several factors such as the country’s power infrastructure, electrification ratio, emission norms, and customers’ purchasing power.
• The well-developed utility grid in countries such as Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand, restricts the demand for stand-by diesel generator sets.
• The developing economies of Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam continue to remain the major markets for diesel generator sets in APAC.
• Equipment price is the first parameter that a customer is likely to take into consideration while purchasing a generator set, especially in the small-and-medium power output capacity. In an attempt to keep prices competitive, dealers and third parties have to compromise on their margins, which discourages prospective market entrants.
• Original equipment manufacturers (OEM), dealers, and distributors continue to be the preferred distribution channels in the region.
• The competitive landscape is unlikely to change significantly during the forecast period; however, reputed companies in specific countries are likely to lose their market share to low-cost Chinese brands in the X-X kW power output capacity diesel generator sets segment.
- Customers prefer locally packaged generator sets, that have engines of well-known brands and yet cost-effective, to reduce the overall purchase price of the unit.
- Low-cost Chinese imports are forcing the established OEMs to bring down their price.
- OEMs consider the Philippines as the fastest growing market in APAC due to its low electrification ratio and untapped opportunities in the mining industry.
- The increasing reliability and accessibility of electricity from power utilities is restricting the demand for prime and peak-shaving applications. However, the demand for stand-by application is on the rise.
- The increasing uptake of renewable energy technologies (RETs) is affecting the demand for diesel generator sets. Government incentives, environment-friendliness, and hassle-free operation and maintenance encourage customers to adopt this technology.
Diesel Generator Sets
These are compression ignition reciprocating units where electrical energy is generated through a diesel engine and an alternator. They are the most common type of generator sets.
Definition by Power Output
• Very small generator sets: Generators varying betweenX kW and X kW
• Small generator sets: Generators varying between X kW and X kW
• Medium generator sets: Generators varying between X kW and X kW and X kW and X MW
• Large generator sets: Generators varying between XMW and X MW
Definition by Application
• Stand-by power: Otherwise known as emergency or back-up power
• Prime or continuous power: Otherwise known as base load power and includes combined heat and power (CHP)
• Peak-shaving power: Otherwise referred to as peak-lopping
Definition by Geography
• Southeast Asia: Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam
• ANZ: Australia and New Zealand
Definition by End Users
• Industrial: Comprises factories and manufacturing units such as semiconductor industry, paper and pulp industry, food processing units, construction industry, marine industry, chemicals industry, petrochemicals industry, rubber industry, and metals and mining industry. The generator sets used in this segment usually vary between X kW and X MW power range. In addition to generator sets, many industries also use compressors, air conditioners, heaters, portable generators, and water chillers.
• Commercial: This is the largest end-user segment that comprises high-rise buildings, restaurants, resorts, offices, shopping malls, telecom companies, IT companies, data centres, small enterprises, apartment complexes, condominiums, and commercial warehouses. Generator sets that are largely in demand vary between the X kW and the XMW power output capacity.
• Institutional: This segment comprises hospitals, schools, universities, rural communities, government buildings, airports, and railways.
• Utilities: This segment comprises power utility companies using generator sets for start-up and stand-by purposes during scheduled power outages.
The study period is from 2010 to 2017, with 2012 as the base year. The historic period is from 2010 to 2011, and the forecast period ranges from 2013 to 2017. Market information for the historic period and base year has been obtained from both primary and secondary research data and analyses. Key trends and information on market size, market share, and other variables are based on discussions with important industry stakeholders in the value chain.
Currency Exchange Rate
Average exchange rates have been considered for 2012 for each country’s currency value against the U.S. dollar. The forecast is done in dollar as the base currency, and revenue is in millions. The real market size in terms of local currency is expected to vary, depending on exchange rate variations.
• This research service covers the revenues and trends in the APAC—Southeast Asia, and Australia and New Zealand (ANZ), diesel generator sets market, with power output capacity ranging from X kW up to XMW. The study tracks all stationary generator sets that are used for stand-by, continuous, and peak-shaving applications. However, it does not include portable generator sets and those sets used for rental or hire purposes.
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
Is the market growing, how long will it continue to grow, and at what rate?
Are the existing competitors structured properly to meet customer needs?
Which region is attractive for OEMs/distributors?
How will the structure of the market change with time?
Do the available services meet customer needs, or is additional development needed?
What market trends can be expected by 2020?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
The expansion of the global electric generating set industry is forecast to reach 1.5% p.a. in the coming years. Between 2010 and 2016 the market increased with an average annual growth of 1.2%. Currently, ...
The expansion of the global diesel generating set industry is forecast to reach 1.4% p.a. in the coming years. Between 2010 and 2016 the market increased with an average annual growth of 1.7%. Currently, ...
The report package Diesel Generating Set Market in Asia to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts offers the most up-to-date industry data on the actual market situation, and future outlook fo ...