Table of Contents
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The primary goal of this BCC report is to provide an industry overview for standalone and embedded picoprojectors, evaluating both the current state of the global market as well as growth from 2012 to 2013 and projecting to 2018. The three picoprojector technologies of Digital Light Processing (DLP), Liquid Crystal on Silicon (LCoS) and Laser Beam Steering (LBS) as well as the critical components of the light sources, specifically High Brightness Light Emitting Diodes (HB-LEDs) and laser diodes are discussed.
Secondary objectives include the determination of the relative market sizes of the industrial as compared to consumer picoprojector markets; an introduction to the critical technical concepts needed to understand picoprojectors; an analysis of patents important to the future of the market; and a profile of all picoprojector equipment manufacturers, sellers and component/module suppliers.
REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
A picoprojector is any form of projector that has a mobile form factor and is capable of projecting an image from some digital input out onto another surface. Picoprojectors include a variety of different types of projection techniques, each of which has its own advantages and disadvantages, but all of which bring the capabilities of full-scale projection to a handheld or even smartphone/tablet-integrated size, freeing the user from being forced to carry heavy equipment and enabling novel applications of projection.
The availability and commercialization of picoprojectors has primarily affected the consumer and office projector market segment, with consumers and small businesses that don’t need high-powered equipment choosing to buy a smaller, cheaper picoprojector instead. This technology has distinct applications in sectors as diverse as healthcare, manufacturing and aviation. This report examines how picoprojector technology is being used in these sectors and likely trends for future uses.
SCOPE AND FORMAT
This BCC study has been conducted with a global perspective on components, modules and projectors along with their applications. Market projections have been conducted globally. All market table values are in 2013 U.S. dollars.
The report provides business planners and managers with an improved understanding of the direction and impact of the picoprojector technologies, and how markets will be affected and new opportunities created.
The report contains:
• An in-depth analysis of the technologies used for picoprojectors and picoprojector modules.
• An overview of components used in picoprojectors and picoprojector modules.
• New developments and recent patents for DLP, LCoS, LBM, HB-LED, laser diodes and other picoprojector technologies.
• Current and potential applications for picoprojectors.
• Current and future market projections for picoprojectors in all the major applications.
• Profiles of current industry players including suppliers of projectors and components as well as users (including other device manufacturers that incorporate picoprojector modules).
• A review of the economic/market opportunities for current industry participants and new entrants.
BCC feels, therefore, that the qualitative and quantitative judgments embodied in this report are a valuable contribution to the current knowledge of picoprojectors.
This new BCC study provides an in-depth analysis of the projection components, lighting components, consumer-ready projectors, industrial uses, current markets and trends, and players involved in the market. Forecasts are provided for each major market segment through 2018. In-depth analyses have been provided for the global picoprojector industry structure, providing detailed information on major players and markets for each application.
Through this report, BCC hopes to provide a better understanding of the global picoprojector industry. This study provides the most up-to-date information we have gathered on the picoprojector market segments. The report further describes various projection and light source technologies, new developments and recent patents, advantages and limitations of currently used techniques, and profiles of all global players involved in this industry.
This study is directed to the various strata of companies and institutions interested in the markets and new developments in this growing field. They are:
• Companies involved in developing, manufacturing and supplying picoprojectors and picoprojector components.
• Companies involved in the development and manufacturing of high-powered light sources usable in picoprojectors.
• Companies involved in the main projector market.
• Producers of MEMS and Optical MEMS.
• Companies involved in developing new optical systems and light sources.
• Medical systems and tools providers involved in training and surgical instruction.
• Rehabilitative care and systems providers involved in developing advanced patient feedback mechanisms.
• Industry leaders working on building better on site instructional systems for manufacturing and repair.
• Government and military agencies in need of on-site briefing capabilities.
• Venture capital companies and financial institutions interested in new and attractive investments.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
Information for this report was collected through extensive industry contacts with people active in the research, development, production and use of picoprojectors, from government and academic sources and by reference to technical literature. Several industry experts also were interviewed for this study. In addition, most of the picoprojector and picoprojector module providers and end users were contacted to evaluate current and future demands for these devices.
Information on picoprojector release dates, MSRP and specifications were taken from a variety of industry news sites, manufacturer websites, retailer websites and contacted experts. Information on the safety issues raised by picoprojectors were garnered from contacted researchers and industry experts, as well as peer-reviewed literature released on the subject in recent years, with regulations from major markets taken from legal literature (such as laser classification levels).
This report was prepared by Paul Bragulla, a partner in Prokalkeo LLC, an emerging-technology consulting firm based near Washington, DC. Mr. Bragulla has done extensive work in laser and optical systems research as well as in the applications of lasers to industrial applications
This report provides:
• An overview of the global market for picoprojectors, which are made possible by advances in laser, LED, and micromirror technologies, and fall into two general categories: designed as either standalone, pocket-sized display devices or categorized as embedded in other pieces of hardware.
• Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2012, estimates for 2013, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2018.
• Discussion of increased portability of standard projection uses, improved social sharing of smart-multimedia, and industrial integration of projection.
• Reviews of industry structure, trends in price and price/performance, market restraints and challenges, and technologies, including a patent evaluation.
• Comprehensive company profiles of picoprojector suppliers.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
“The gas insulated switchgear market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 9.4% from 2016 to 2021” The gas insulated switchgear market is expected to reach a market size of USD 25.95 billion by 2021, ...
Use this report to: - Analyze the developing market for superconducting applications, materials and other enabling technologies. - Assess expected technological and market trends in the longer term. - ...
Use this report to: - Analyze various applications of the fiber optic sensor market and market dynamics of each application. - Evaluate growth strategies by key players in the fiber optic sensor market. ...