Table of Contents
Disruptive Materials and Coatings Technologies that Drive Innovations
This research service provides an overview of the top technology trends and future prospects in material and coatings sector. The detailed study profiles some of the major developments within the chemical, materials and coatings space for the year 2013. Technology based developments and emerging drivers and opportunities of these technologies have also been captured along with stakeholder information.
• The Technical Insights division of Frost & Sullivan, through its continuous evaluation and tracking of the technology innovations in the Materials and Coatings industry, has evaluated top technology trends in the Materials and Coatings and has identified the top technology trends that are likely to have an impact, on the year 2013.
• The subsequent slides provide following information on the following lines on a best effort basis, as applicable to the selected technologies. They are:
- Brief Snapshot of the Technology
- Recent Developments by Stakeholders and their Solutions
- Drivers and Emerging Opportunities for Stakeholders
- Future Scenario
• CTOs/ CEOs/ CIOs
• Technical Architects
• Research Heads
• Strategic Decision Makers
• Technology Policy Heads
• Technology Journals
• Market Research Reports
• Technology policy information sites
• Internal databases
• Thought Leader Briefings
Materials and Coatings Industries–Global Trends
• Increasing awareness toward the use of bio-based and “green” alternatives is driving the whole Materials industry. Increased development of alternative feedstock and use of bio-based fibers for textiles, fabrics, and packaging solutions are in par with the global trend of “going green”.
• Increasing development of convergence technologies that can be used for catering to the needs of multiple sectors are gaining in prominence. Some of the technologies under this scope include development of smart fabrics, bio-functionalized materials, and filtration technologies.
• Development of protective coatings that help in increasing the lifespan of the targeted substrate is still a hot area of development (especially in the oil and gas and packaging industry). Developmental and adoption efforts related to the use of breathable antibacterial and super hydrophobic coatings have increased in the year 2012 to 2013.
• Significant growth of bio-based and conventional fibers and textiles have resulted in their use in medical, sensor, and personal care industries. Its growth has resulted in the integration of electronic and nanotechnology components into textiles that are equipped with wearable qualities, monitoring, and probably wireless communication capabilities.
• Stringent fuel emission standards along with advanced engine designs and consumer needs for better mileage has resulted in the increasing efforts in the development of fuel additives and blends that are suitable for all types of conventional and alternate fuels.
Top Materials and Coatings Technologies
Fuel Additives/Blending Technologies
Algae-based Personal Care
Super Hydrophobic Coatings
Advanced Filtration Technologies
Advanced Chemical Batteries
Breathable Antibacterial Coatings
Alternative Feedstocks for Chemicals and Fuels
• Microalgae is used as a viable material for cosmetic and personal care applications as the algae-based formulations can protect skin against ultraviolet radiation, activate cell metabolism, and counteract skin aging.
• Algae-based products also include functional ingredients, such as phlorotannins, colourless carotenoids, photolyase, mycosporin-like amino acids, tocopherols, superoxiddismutase, polyphenols, beta-carotene, carotenoids, polysaccharides, mucopolysaccharides, sulphated polysaccharides, and polyunsaturated fatty acids to enhance the functionality of the end products.
Why Is It Important?
• The use of algae (microalgae and macro algae) helps in increasing the use of natural functional ingredients for cosmetic preparations and help in avoiding the unwanted side effects that could rise due to prolonged use of synthetic preparations.
• The increasing consumer demand toward bio-based and natural ingredients for cosmetic and personal care preparation and raising safety concerns with regard to synthetic cosmetic products has paved the way for algae's entry into the personal care market. This has risen with the growing consumer awareness toward the products’ nature, formulation, and their mechanism in cosmetic use.
• With increased interest from the funding community and with Tier 1 and Tier 2 firms realizing the business benefits of evolving developmental trends, the use of algae for personal care applications is expected to make significant strides in the year 2013.
• Algae extracts, when formulated into personal care products, increase cell dynamism and cell regeneration ability.
• Algal species can be used as moisturizers and as thickening agents, and can also be formulated to eliminate excess fluid from the skin.
• Algae can also be used as excipients, slimming agents, and as active ingredients.
Skin Whitening Products: Phytomer Spas, a leading global brand, have discovered an active ingredient called coben, which is present in algae that has the potential to decrease and regulate the production of melanin. The company has leveraged this ingredient for the development of skin creams and spa products for their treatment.
Moisturizers: Aubrey Organics Inc., an organic cosmetic developer in the US has developed a range of moisturizers, skin care products, and creams based on blue green algae along with other essential oils and plant extracts.
Skin Revitalizers: Ocean well Cosmetics, Germany, has introduced a line of skin care products including skin revitalizers, skin cream, cell boosters-based Laminaria algae, seawater embedded in natural oils extracted from aloe vera, jojoba oil, and shea butter. The combined effect of the ingredients has the ability to provide a collagen-like skin tightening and boosting effect.
Exfoliating Soaps: The Soley research institute and Les Thermes Marins de Saint-Malo, France, have independentally developed exfoliating beauty soaps and bars using microalgae and Chondrus crispus red seaweed, respectively. The soaps have the potential to remove dead cells and help in rejuvinating skin.
Skin Peeling and Exfoliating Cream: Oriflame Cosmetics, a global cosmetic company, has developed an exfoliating cream with algae-based micro-particles developed exclusively for dry and sensitive skin prone to irritation.
Drivers and Emerging Opportunities for Stakeholders
Demand for Natural and Bio-based Ingredients: The increasing demand for natural functional cosmetic ingredients that are derived from bio-based sources and rising concerns about the use of synthetic agents for personal care applications have positively influenced the use of algal extracts for cosmetic and personal care applications.
Widening Research Activities and Supply of Algal Ingredients: The research focus on algal extracts and their functionalities, especially due to the established research base of biofuel industry. This has resulted in leveraging the existing algal suppliers from the biofuel industry to personal care applications. Also, the scientific evidence in establishing the niche functionalities of algal extracts has the ability to increase the use of algal ingredients for personal care applications.
Emerging Opportunities for Stakeholders
• Thickening Agents
• Water Binding Agents
• Anti-cellulite Agents
• UV Protection
• Melanin Regulators/Whitener
• Anti-wrinkle Agents
• Skin Healing Agents
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
Hair Loss Treatments (Haircare) Market in Global - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics Summary "Hair Loss Treatments (Haircare) Market in Global - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, ...
Global Energy Drinks (Soft Drinks) Market - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics Summary "Global Energy Drinks (Soft Drinks) Market - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast ...
Hair Loss Treatments (Haircare) Market in Europe - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics Summary "Hair Loss Treatments (Haircare) Market in Europe - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, ...