Table of Contents
Lineup of T&D investments by State Electricity Utilities Drive the Market
The study covers T&D substation products market, growth trends, major challenges, competitive structure and T&D investment analysis of major countries in the Southeast Asia region. Base year of the study is 2013. Historic period covered is 2011 and 2012. The forecast period is 2014 to 2018. The study is segmented on the basis of country/region. Transmission and distribution substation markets are analyzed in detail in each segment. Competitive analysis covers market share analysis, competitive structure, key growth factors and market share evolution. A key trend in the market is substantial T&D investments from the electricity utility that leads to revenue growth.
• The transmission and distribution (T&D) substation market is in the growth phase in Southeast Asia (SE Asia). The market revenue in 2013 was valued at $X million, and it is expected to reach $Xmillion by 2018.
• The region has some of the lowest electrification ratios in the Asia-Pacific. Laos PDR, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Indonesia have low electrification rates, therefore, key investments are concentrated on the distribution grid development.
• Singapore, on the other hand, has the most reliable power grid, with a revenue contribution of X% to the total market in 2013. The market is projected to grow at a CAGR of X% during 2013–2018.
• Indonesia is the largest market, with X% revenue contribution to total market in 2013. It is also the fastest growing market, after Vietnam and the Philippines.
• The developing countries in the region have projected a high demand growth and have streamlined the installed capacity addition to support this demand. Further, the T&D utilities have laid out complementing investment plan to assist the generation addition.
• The total T&D investments during 2014–2018 is estimated to be $X billion* in the SE Asia region.
• However, stringent regulations on ‘local content value’ in project execution, unfair utility decisions during awarding tenders, and project delays are some of the key market restraints.
• Privatization of T&D grid in certain countries is expected to attract investors who work on Built Operate Transfer (BOT) model.
• The top 4 market participants are ABB, Siemens A.G., Alstom grid Ltd, and Schneider Electric. They constituteX% of the market share.
• In the transmission grid, popular regional companies are Hyundai Heavy Industries, Crompton Greaves, Tirathai, and Tenaga Switchgear.
• Regional vendors are strengthening their facilities to support local demand. Korean, Chinese, and Indian manufacturers are establishing themselves with the T&D utilities with their low-priced products in the region.
• Besides, the utilities have subsidiaries that are capable of supplying T&D products. This makes it harder for the Western multinationals to enhance their presence with the utilities in the region.
• Distribution segment has several local manufacturers as the technology is easier to replicate. Tamco Switchgears, Ekarat Engineering, Philec, EVN Thu Duc, and Dong Anh Electric are among the most prominent OEMs in the region.
1. Thailand and Indonesia are the biggest markets contributing X% and X% respectively to the total market revenue in 2013.
2. With an impending need to expand the distribution grid, the distribution segment is expected to grow at a higher CAGR of X% than transmission segment (X%) during the forecast period.
3. Price, technical support, and after-sales service are the key factors that drive T&D utility’s product procurements.
4. Regional manufacturers are strengthening their facilities to support local demand; Chinese and Korean manufacturers are increasing foot-hold amongst utilities.
5. Price of transformers are expected to be reduced because of influx of low-cost products and increased competition in the market.
Market Overview—Research Scope and Exclusions
The study tracks the market for various electrical equipment used in T&D substations under the power utility. The key equipment covered in the study are as follows:
• High Voltage Transformers – XkV and above
• High Voltage Switchgears – XkV and above
• Medium Voltage Transformer – XkV toXkV
• Medium Voltage Switchgear – XkV to XkV
• The report does not cover the T&D substations owned and operated by the private sector, industries, and factories.
• Rest of SE Asia includes countries such as Myanmar, Laos PDR, and Cambodia. Market revenue forecast for these X countries are not covered in the study.
Market Overview—Geographic Scope
Research Coverage: This research covers the following countries:
• The Philippines
• Rest of SE Asia (includes countries such as Myanmar, Laos PDR, and Cambodia)
• Study Period: 2011 to 2018
• Base Year: 2013
• Forecast Period: 2014 to 2018
• Transmission Substation Segment (also referred in the report as transmission segment)
• Distribution Substation Segment (also referred in the report as distribution segment)
• The Philippines
• Rest of SE Asia
• HV Transformers
• HV Switchgears
• MV Transformers
• MV Switchgears
Key Questions This Study Will Answer
Is the market growing, how long will it continue to grow, and at what rate?
Are the existing competitors structured correctly to meet customer needs?
How will the structure of the market change with time?
Do the products offered today meet customer needs, or is there additional development needed?
What are the customer demand trends in the market?
How has the new products fared in the market?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
The expansion of the global electric generator and motor industry is forecast to reach 0.6% p.a. in the coming years. Between 2010 and 2016 the market increased with an average annual growth of 3.8%. Currently, ...
The report package Electric Generator and Motor Market in Asia to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts offers the most up-to-date industry data on the actual market situation, and future outlook ...
The report package Electric Generating Set Market in Asia to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts offers the most up-to-date industry data on the actual market situation, and future outlook fo ...