Table of Contents
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The aim of this report is to provide detailed market, technology and industry analyses to help readers quantify and qualify the market for prescription generic drugs. Important trends are identified and sales forecasts by product categories and major country markets are provided through 2018; these are based on industry sources and a considered assessment of the regulatory environment, healthcare policies, demographics and other factors that directly affect the generic drug market. The wider economic environment is also taken into account.
The report examines strategies employed by companies specializing in generics to meet the challenges of this highly competitive market, while also summarizing strategies employed by “originator” companies to forestall generic competition.
REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
• This is a time of growth and change for the generic pharmaceutical sector. Major aspects that combine to create an opportunity for an up-to date market analysis include the following:
• The demand for generics is increasing steadily because of pressure to control healthcare costs. At the same time fierce price competition in this area has put some companies in difficulties because of slashed profit margins. The main result has been a wave of M&A activity, and the rise of “supergenerics” offering added value as well as low prices. Not all traditional companies are positioned to exploit this trend.
• A major growth driver for the generics sector is the fact that several blockbuster pharmaceutical brands are coming off-patent and are therefore open to generic competition — the phenomenon widely known as the “patent cliff.” But the originator companies are deploying formidable strategies to protect their franchise, including marketing their own branded generics.
• With first-generation biopharmaceutical products reaching the end of their patent lives, a whole new market field — biogenerics, or biosimilars — is opening up for those generics companies capable of (or prepared to buy in) the technological expertise required.
• The international landscape is changing for generics as for all pharmaceuticals. China, India, Russia, Mexico and Brazil are among rising centers of generic activity.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This report discusses the implications of all the above-mentioned trends, in the context of the current size and growth of the generics market, both in global terms and analyzed by the most important national markets. The nature and structure of the generics industry is discussed, with profiles of the leading 20-plus generics companies, and an update on mergers and acquisitions (M&A) activity. Five-year sales forecasts are provided for the national markets and the major therapeutic categories of products involved.
MARKET ANALYSES AND FORECASTS
Market figures are based on revenues at the manufacturer level and are projected on the basis of 2011-dollar value without attempting to predict the effect of inflation/deflation.
Therapeutic categories quantified and forecast include antibacterials, antidepressants, anticancer agents, anti-arthritics, cardiovascular drugs (e.g. hypolipidaemics and antihypertensives) and drugs for respiratory conditions including asthma and COPD.
Primary research includes interviews with leading individuals in generics companies, industry associations and regulatory bodies. Primary sources of published data include company annual reports, SEC filings, and government and industry publications. Secondary sources consist of literature searches, industry journals and other commercial publications. Data for market estimates and forecasts are pooled from a range of sources, critically assessed by BCC.
This report is designed to satisfy the information needs of a wide variety of individuals involved in the generics marketplace, including company senior management executives seeking to base their strategic decisions on the best available information on market forces and trends. However, it is also aimed at managers and executives in marketing, research, planning and sales departments who need readable, comprehensive and up-to-date background on the marketplace in which they are operating.
Sources of information included marketing strategists, industry executives, government agencies and regulatory bodies, and surveys of physicians and pharmacists. Company annual reports and SEC filings, journal articles, and data from healthcare institutions were also mined, as well as publications of relevant trade associations such as the Generic Pharmaceutical Association (GPhA) and the European Generic Medicines Association (EGA).
Paul Evers has been involved in analyzing pharmaceutical and medical markets for 20 years. He is the author of two previous reports on the generics marketplace as well as analyses of major therapeutic categories and the pharmaceutical regulatory environment.
The global generics sector reached $269.8 billion in 2012. This sector is expected to reach $300.9 billion in 2013 and $518.5 billion in 2018, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.5%.
This report provides:
• An overview of the global market for generic drugs, including coverage of therapeutics such as antibacterials, antidepressants, anticancer agents, anti-arthritics, cardiovascular drugs (e.g., hypolipidaemics and antihypertensives), and drugs for respiratory conditions, including asthma and COPD.
• Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2012, estimates for 2013, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2018.
• Examination of strategies employed by companies specializing in generics to meet the challenges of this highly competitive market, while also summarizing strategies employed by “originator” companies to forestall generic competition.
• Discussion of important trends by product categories and major country markets, acknowledging that Brazil, China, India, Mexico, and Russia are among the rising markets for generic activity.
• Comprehensive profiles of leading generics companies, and updates on mergers and acquisitions.
Find all the market research you need - instantly, in one place.
Talk to Amrita
+1 718 303 2019
Executive Summary •The generic drug manufacturers in Asia have started looking beyond patent cliff to drive growth. As less drugs are expected to go off patent in 2015-2017, the manufacturers are adopting ...
It includes detailed data on industry size and sector ation, textual analysis of the key trends and competitive landscape, and profiles of the leading firms . This incisive report provides expert analysis ...
Plimsoll's GENERIC PHARMACEUTICALS (Global) analysis is the most definitive and accurate study of the GENERIC PHARMACEUTICALS (Global) sector in 2013. The report is split into two sections and uses both ...
Reportlinker.com © Copyright 2015. All rights reserved.