Table of Contents
- The parcels market has continued to grow in most countries in spite of the recession. A key factor has been the growth of home shopping.
- This has acted as a spur to innovation – in promoting the development of processes to improve the delivery experience, from defined time-slots, to text messages to the establishment of chains of parcel shops.
- Home shopping growth looks set to continue, creating further opportunities for those companies which are able to deliver the quality and range of services that the market requires.
- In this environment industry consolidation has continued with the major networks continuing to make add-on acquisitions to fill geographical and service gaps – although the EU acted to prevent the major deal that was recently in prospect: UPS’s proposed acquisition of TNT, on competition grounds.
- European Parcels: Market Insight Report provides an analytical overview of the European Parcels market. It attempts to portray accurately the market structure, size, growth, trends and competitive landscape.
- The report builds upon:
o Apex Insight’s published analysis on the UK parcels market and in adjacent logistics markets
o Our consulting work in the industry which has included advising on market and strategic issues and the attractiveness of parcel company acquisitions
What does the report cover?
- The report covers 8 main countries in depth: Germany, UK, France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium and Poland.
o These markets represent 75% of European GDP and, according to our market model, 78% of total parcels revenues.
- The other countries included in Apex Insight's market model are Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Austria, Denmark, Greece, Finland, Portugal, Ireland, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Slovak Republic, Croatia, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Serbia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Albania, FYR Macedonia, Malta and Montenegro. The analysis excludes Russia and Turkey.
- The definition of the parcels market includes domestic, intra-European and international parcels. It also includes business-to-business, business-to-consumer and consumer consigned parcels. Parcel weight definitions vary, between operators and countries, but most describe parcels up to various weights approaching 31.5 kg. All service levels are included (time definite and deferred). Adjacent services, such as mail, pallet distribution, groupage, freight forwarding, sameday courier and contract logistics are excluded.
What is the methodology?
- The main sources for the report are
o Extensive desk research on the parcels market and its operators covering company accounts, websites and other sources
o Published information on key market drivers such as economic data and estimates of home shopping levels and practices
o Interviews with senior-level contacts in the market
- The key input to our market size estimates is a bottom-up analysis of the revenues of the parcel companies we have identified as operating in each of the main countries covered. Adjustments have been made to compensate for missing data and to reflect the extent to which these companies are involved in other logistics activities in addition to parcels.
- We have used this data as the basis on which to construct our market model.
o The model produces historical and forecast growth estimates covering the period from 2008-2018 which are based on trends in company revenue and drivers such as economic performance and levels and patterns of home shopping.
o The main model inputs and assumptions are discussed in detail in the report.
Who is it useful for?
- The report is intended for:
o Owners and operators of parcel networks
o Customers of those networks, in particular, retailers who sell via the internet
o Investors in these businesses
o Market regulators and policymakers
o Banks, analysts, consultants and other parties with interests in the sector
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
“The evolution of connected vehicles and increasing logistics transparency across the globe and the increasing adoption of connected and intelligent devices are some of the factors expected to drive ...
Hong Kong, with a GDP worth US$274 billion, once an exploited British colony, is today one of the most prosperous countries in the world. Its market is considered one of the freest in the world. Today, ...
“Cold chain market projected to grow at a CAGR of 7.0% during the forecast period” The cold chain market is estimated to be valued at USD 189.92 billion in 2017 and is projected to reach a value of ...