Table of Contents
This report analyses the smartphone usage of consumers in France, Germany, the UK and the USA between mid-August and the end of October 2013. The analysis is based on data provided by Nielsen, using an application developed by Arbitron Mobile. Where appropriate we make comparisons with an analysis that we conducted with data from 2011.
- This event-level data allows us to produce in-depth analysis of information including foreground app usage (‘face time’), data traffic (cellular and Wi-Fi), location (home, away and travelling), as well as voice and SMS usage. This report focuses specifically on the use of IP communications services and their relationship with traditional voice and messaging services.
- The main objective of this report is to understand how smartphones are changing communication habits. Mobile phones have evolved into capable computing devices and many of the services that people developed for use on PCs now coexist with traditional telecoms services.
- In some countries IP messaging services are rivalling social networking services in terms of penetration with potentially dramatic impact on legacy messaging services. European observers have witnessed strong adoption curves for WhatsApp in the Netherlands and Spain, and now in Germany, where 90% of our panellists used it. The UK messaging market is currently on the same trajectory.
Who needs to read this report:
- Strategy, finance and marketing executives, and directors and managers within mobile operators who are developing the business case for responses to OTT voice and messaging substitution.
- Vendors and software developers involved in the development and integration of IP voice and messaging solutions who wish to better understand the demographics of service take-up.
- Industry experts and observers who need real-world data that shows the degree of IP voice and messaging disruption in granular detail.
Key questions answered in this report:
- How is the relationship between consumers and smartphones evolving with respect to core communication features?
- How significant is the substitution effect of IP messaging and VoIP services on traditional voice and messaging?
- What demographic factors account for the significant difference between IP voice and messaging take-up in different countries?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
“Reduction in queuing & transaction time and increased convenience in making low value payments are driving the contactless payment market” The contactless payment market is estimated to grow from ...
"The decline in time spent in dedicated communication apps should act as a wake-up-call to the telco industry." This report analyses real-world smartphone usage data to answer urgent questions about the ...
This IDC study forecasts the worldwide voice and text messaging communications platform-as-a-service market to grow from $867 million in 2016 to $8.2 billion in 2021. The voice and text messaging CPaaS ...