Table of Contents
• Primary interviews were conducted with key industry experts and regulatory authorities.
Designation of interviewed participants include chief executive officers, marketing managers,
directors, and vice presidents.
• Secondary research sources such as in-house Frost & Sullivan database, Frost & Sullivan’s
decision support database, company annual reports, scientific journals, and industry-related articles
have been utilized.
• The objective of the research service is to present a comprehensive analysis of the US cardiac
ablation market with respect to market potential and key market dynamics.
• The study also covers factors driving the growth, challenges affecting the industry, and
opportunities within the total market and the market segments as estimated for the forecast period.
• The study period covered by this service for the US cardiac ablation market is from 2010 to 2020,
with the base year as 2013 and forecast period from 2014 to 2020.
• The US cardiac ablation market is likely to grow at a robust CAGR through 2020, driven
primarily by growing incidence and prevalence of cardiac arrhythmias as well as increased
usage and adoption of premium-priced innovative ablation technologies.
• The market is forecast to reach $? billion by 2020. The key driving factors include a huge
unmet need from the pharmacological treatments, increasing number of ablation procedures
performed in the United States annually, and a surge in technology advancements of ablation
o In addition, complex ablation procedures and new modalities are other factors contributing
to the growth of ablation devices.
• More comprehensive clinical data will become available to support the safety and efficacy of
the catheter ablation techniques, which will significantly boost confidence among patients and
physicians, driving the adoption of these procedures.
• Furthermore, remote robotic navigation and ablation techniques are undergoing clinical
development that would provide additional benefits and boost the revenue growth in the atrial
fibrillation (AF) catheter ablation segment.
• The new mapping-catheters can now be integrated with the non-mapping catheters using a
3D modelling system. This trend is expected to gain significant momentum in the growing
o Many companies now realize the benefits of real-time navigation in 3D models, without
incurring additional costs.
• Research and development (R&D) activity has significantly increased in the catheter ablation
space with several companies investing in innovative technology; the electrophysiology (EP)
industry is likely to ensure the tremendous opportunity for a return on interest (ROI).
• The prevalence of AF increases with age. The patient pool for ablation procedures will also
continue to inflate in the United States because of a growing demographic population, with
more than ?% of AF cases occurring in patients between the ages of ?and?.
• Currently, only - major participants exist in the US cardiac ablation market space: Biosense
Webster (subsidy of Johnson & Johnson) and St. Jude Medical, constituting a combined
share of ?% in the US catheter ablation segment.
• Novel devices including CardioFocus' HeartLight Endoscopic Ablation System (EAS) laser
ablation catheter and force-sensing irrigated-tip RF ablation catheters such as Endosense's
TactiCath, Biosense Webster's ThermoCool SmartTouch, and Topera Medical’s RhythmView
3D Electrophysiologic Mapping System are expected to enter the market post 2014, spurring
market growth. These devices are expected to be offered at premium prices, and hence their
launch would have a direct impact on revenue.
• The strain created by the softening of the economy has led to a decrease in the purchase of
expensive capital equipment limiting the expansion of the EP lab systems market.
• With budgetary constraints and a mounting need for ablation procedures, the trend of
reprocessing diagnostic catheters is expected to increase, which will facilitate merger and
acquisition (M&A) activity by larger companies (e.g., Johnson & Johnson) to remain
competitive in the growing ablation market.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
Frontier Pharma: Versatile Innovation in Immunology - Large Therapy Area Pipeline with a High Degree of Repositioning Potential Summary Immunology is a large therapy area characterized by disorders of ...
Frontier Pharma: Head and Neck Cancer - Immunotherapies and Signal Transduction Inhibitors Dominate First-in-Class Innovation Summary Head and neck cancer (HNC) is the sixth most common malignancy worldwide, ...
“Medical Laboratory Testing Services reaches 12 billion tests per year. Genomic technology and China healthcare expansion driving global growth.....” Report Overview: A market that just keeps on growing. ...