Table of Contents
Growth for Chemicals as Raw Materials to Outstrip Growth in the LED Market Itself
Light emitting diodes (LEDs) are the main type of solid-state lighting (SSL) that are currently replacing older lighting technologies such as incandescent lamps, halogen tubes, and compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs). The LED market offers a wide range of opportunities for chemical companies because chemicals and materials are required at all stages of the LED value chain—from chip fabrication to the assembly of the final fixture. This research service covers both materials that have been designed primarily for use in LED applications, and materials designed for broader use but also suitable for use in LEDs. Both material types are used in the industry; in some cases, the materials used represent a like-for-like replacement in traditional lighting fixtures. This study quantifies the revenue opportunities for chemical companies at all stages of the LED value chain based on an analysis of where value is added in the LED industry. By assessing how the market drivers and restraints affect each of the different chemical types, the analysis provides growth forecasts up to 2018 using a base year of 2013. It also provides an overview of the companies currently participating in the market, and identifies the areas in which there is potential for innovation and new market entrants.
- Of the 4 primary value chain tiers associated with light-emitting diode (LED) lighting, the
most additional value is created in the final stage, assembling the final fixture.
- The packaging tier has some of the greatest requirements for innovative solutions from
chemical companies. However, this tier is also under the greatest amount of price pressure
in the industry.
- The creation of a finished LED fixture requires a wide range of chemicals and materials,
typically including the following:
- Eight chemical types designed for this specific purpose.
- Two to three types of general chemical for which there has not yet been any
development of LED-specific grades.
- This breadth of material requirements means that few market participants have visibility
across the entire market, creating a need for a holistic vision of market opportunities.
- Frost & Sullivan forecasts that between 2013 and 2018 the market for LED materials will
experience revenue growth at a CAGR of -%.
- The leading suppliers of materials to the LED industry include Dow, Intematix, DuPont, and
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
“Street and roadway lighting market expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.03% between 2016 and 2022” According to the new market research report, the street and roadway lighting market is expected to grow ...
“Rising demand for energy-efficient lighting technologies expected to drive the solid-state and other energy-efficient lighting market” The solid-state and other energy-efficient lighting market is ...
“Grow lights market to exhibit a high growth between 2017 and 2022” The grow lights market was valued at USD 2.50 billion in 2016 and is likely to grow at a CAGR of 11.86% between 2017 and 2022. The ...