Table of Contents
Use this report to:
- Examine the total available market for flash memory according to various application areas and identify how flash memory can be customized for each area.
- Receive an analysis of patents filed in this market.
- Focus on the summary of key players in different segments along with market share information.
- The global market for flash memory was valued at $28.4 billion in 2012 and $30.1 billion in 2013. This market is expected to grow to $43.9 billion by 2018, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.8% for the five-year period, 2013 to 2018.
- The market in Asia is expected to grow from nearly $15.1 billion in 2013 to $22.4 billion in 2018 at a CAGR of 8.3% from 2013 to 2018.
- The North American market is the next largest market, and is expected to increase from $6.3 billion in 2013 to about $8.8 billion in 2018, a CAGR of 6.8% from 2013 to 2018.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The storage industry has been dominated by traditional spinning disk technology based on magnetic storage. With the advances in semiconductor technology and falling prices of flash memory, the industry is fast moving toward replacing the hard disk by solid-state memory based on flash. No moving parts, low power, less weight and so forth are some of the features that make flash memory extremely attractive for a wide range of applications. Since flash memory is based on traditional complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) technology, all the advantages offered by semiconductor technology are transferred seamlessly to flash memory and it is easier to scale with new semiconductor technology.
This report investigates different technologies used in solid-state flash memory. It compares and contrasts flash memory with current hard-disk-based storage technology. The report examines the total available market for flash memory according to various application areas and discusses how flash memories are customized for each. A
complete analysis of servers and the storage market is also included, taking into account where the flash memory is expected to lead to major change.
The report also focuses on a summary of key players in different segments along with market share information. A forecast of the total market in each category by dollar,
downloads and geography over the next five years is provided. The report also includes an analysis of patents filed in this market by various companies.
A research study aimed at analyzing this market is useful to anyone connected to this field. It provides students, executives and those interested in technology with insight
into the underlying technology, market forces and trends that will help them understand the market dynamics.
REPORT SCOPE AND ORGANIZATION
This report examines flash memory according to market segment: enterprise/personal computer, mobile and peripherals. For each segment, we have estimated the total
market, the number of applications and average revenue per application.
The following is provided for each segment:
- Definition of technical details.
- Overall market description.
- Comparison with other segments.
- Growth forecast and market trends.
- Business models.
- Key players and market share.
The goal of the report is to provide readers with the following:
- Understanding of the underlying flash memory technology.
- Knowledge of how these markets differ and shape the technology.
- Knowledge of business models used in different market segments.
- Understanding of the market potential for each segment and projections for the next 5 years.
This report will be useful to a broad reader base. More specifically, the following should benefit:
- Embedded software and hardware industry insiders, including executives, managers, marketing professionals and salespeople, who are looking to enhance their business
knowledge by understanding more about the multimedia chipsets market.
- Product marketing and management professionals from the embedded, enterprise and consumer market ecosystem who want to understand the intricacies of the
market and position their products accordingly.
- Business and venture executives in the technology industry looking to invest in flash memory technology companies.
- Finance and investment professionals looking to make investment decisions for flash memory companies.
Market data and information for this report were obtained through numerous channels. Both primary and secondary research methodologies were used in preparing this study. For example, industry association data was obtained, along with publicly available information from various companies. These include Securities and Exchange
Commission filings by public companies, presentations from various conferences, and articles and reports published by company insiders. Sales data for various device manufacturers were used to determine the total number of devices sold. That data were then compared with the data available from various software companies that make software for mobile platforms. Interviews were conducted with company executives and other industry experts to obtain market insight. The companies selected for this purpose fell into several categories, including hardware suppliers, device manufacturers and engineering services companies.
Other sources used include exhaustive Internet searches, blogs and articles written by industry journalists. Editors and executives provided individual perspectives about the
market. Industry journals and publications, white papers and technical notes were also reviewed. The projections for future market growth were based on several factors. BCC Research developed a mathematical model to forecast growth based on the following:
- Annual revenue of the flash memory and storage devices for the past five years: These data were used to determine trends and the correlation between applications
- External factors: Economy and growth projections from key institutions such as the International Monetary Fund were considered.
- Geographical trends impacting the technology, such as the rise of Asia as a major consumer base.
- New innovations and threats facing the existing technology.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
Strong demand from mobile contributed to the NAND shortage in 2H/16. It looks like history will repeat itself in 2017. This report provides a forecast of the supply-demand and application drivers for NAND ...
The application of 3D NAND flash memory chips has ginned prominence due to their capability to exploit the intrinsic limits of the fabrication substrate. The demand for new technology and products has ...
The NAND flash memory chips are introduced to reduce cost per bit without compromising on the performance and reliability of the memory chips. The implementation of 3D NAND flash memory technology has ...