Table of Contents
IndiGo, an Indian airline, has expanded rapidly to become the second fastest growing low-cost carrier on the continent and one of the biggest globally. IndiGo is focused on the basics, shunning all frills and keeping its operating costs low. In the highly competitive landscape of the Indian aviation sector, it is making solid profits, while other carriers are struggling.
Features and benefits
* This case study analyses the Indian aviation sector, its opportunities and threats.
* This case study analyses the competitive landscape, including major players and their revenues.
* This case study analyses IndiGo airlines and the success of its consistent low-cost strategy.
Passenger traffic in India is expanding rapidly and the country is currently ranked fourth globally in terms of domestic passenger volumes. Rising per-capita income and introduction of low cost airlines contribute towards this rapid expansion.
Despite fast increasing passenger volumes, the industry recorded a dramatic loss in 2013. It is also facing great infrastructural issues associated with the need for large investment outlay, high taxes and airport chargers, which combined make India one of the costliest places in the world to run a fleet of planes.
IndiGo has managed to successfully navigate through the many existing challenges and was the only profitable carrier in India, with revenue growth of 55% and net income of $105m in 2013. The company’s successful performance attracted attention of the regulatory authorities.
Your key questions answered
* How big is the Indian aviation sector and how fast is it growing? What are the main growth drivers?
* Why are most of the players struggling with falling income? Why is India one of the costliest places to run a fleet of planes?
* How has liberalization changed the competitive landscape of the Indian aviation sector? Who are the main players of the Indian aviation sector?
* Why is Indigo enjoying strong profit growth while other competitors are struggling?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
IATA offers you the timeliest reports for airline traffic monitoring, representing the entire industry and all regions. Monthly Statistics cover traffic figures for both passenger and cargo carriers, and ...
“Enhancing passenger experience is one of the most significant factors driving the inflight entertainment (IFE) market” The inflight entertainment (IFE) market is projected to grow from an estimated ...
“The crew management system market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 10.19% from 2016 to 2022” The crew management system market is projected to grow from an estimated USD 1.31 billion in 2016 to USD ...