Table of Contents
OpportunityAnalyzer: Diabetic Foot Ulcers - Opportunity Analysis And Forecasts To 2017 - Event-Driven Update
Diabetic foot ulcers (DFUs) are a common complication of diabetes, and with the increasing prevalence of diabetes across all markets, the number of patients suffering from DFUs is also expected to rise. Despite the availability of various treatment modalities, there are currently few advanced wound care products available to treat hard-to-heal chronic wounds. In addition, for the past 15 years, Regranex (becaplermin) has been the only pharmacologic wound-healing agent available; however, it is rarely used due a perceived lack of efficacy.
The DFU market is now set to enter an exciting phase with the potential launch of three wound-healing agents in the next five years; Olympus Biotech’s trafermin (recombinant human basic fibroblast growth factor), Macrocure’s CureXcell (activated leukocyte suspension), and Derma Sciences’ DSC127 (NorLeu3-A[1-7]). The first two topical antibacterials, Innocoll’s Cogenzia (gentamicin-collagen sponge) and Dipexium Pharmaceuticals’ Locilex (pexiganan acetate cream 1%), are also expected to launch in the US and the five major EU markets (5EU). Both pipeline agents offer an alternative way to treat infection by localizing an antibiotic directly at the wound site.
With the advent of these new product launches, the size of the DFU market is expected to grow substantially during the five-year forecast period.
Key Questions Answered
- The DFU market is marked by the presence of a number of unmet needs. What are the main unmet needs in the treatment of DFUs? Will the drugs under development fulfil the unmet needs of the DFU market?
- The late-stage DFU pipeline contains a diverse array of both wound-healing agents and topical antibacterials. Will the late-stage drugs make a significant impact on the DFU market? Which of these drugs will have the highest peak sales at the end of the forecast period, and why?
- There is currently only one pharmacologic wound-healing agent available to treat DFUs. Will the launch of novel wound-healing agents change the drug treatment landscape for DFUs? How will the drug treatment rate change over the next five years? What are the key drivers and barriers to this change?
- The major drivers of the growth of the DFU market include the introduction of several novel wound-healing agents, which are administrated as a topical ointment or spray, or are injected directly into the wound bed. In addition, the first topical antibacterials indicated specifically for the treatment of diabetic foot infections will launch, and will be used as an adjunct to systemic antibiotic therapy, or to treat mild infections.
- The second major driver will be the growing number of patients suffering from a DFU due to an overall increase in the prevalence of diabetes across all the markets.
- To ensure uptake of novel DFU treatments it will be essential for companies to demonstrate a high level of efficacy in well-designed clinical trials; that demonstrate that advanced wound-care products are superior to the current standard of care.
- With different treatment modalities becoming available to treat DFUs, more established companies that already offer wound care dressings and medical devices are diversifying their portfolios, by adding wound-healing agents through acquisitions and licensing agreements.
- Overview of DFUs, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized DFU therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2012, and forecast for five years to 2017.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the DFU therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global DFU therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline. Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global DFU therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global DFU therapeutics market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global DFU therapeutics market from 2012-2017.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
The global wound care market was worth $24,482.9 million in 2015 and it is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.7% during 2016-2022. Among the various wound care products type, the advanced wound care products ...
The medical supplies market is expected to reach USD 136.63 billion by 2021 from USD 98.33 billion in 2016, at a CAGR of 6.8% during the forecast period. Factors such as rising number of surgeries, increasing ...
The global sterilization equipment market is expected to reach USD 9.8 billion by 2025, according to a new study by Grand View Research Inc. Increasing number of hospital stays and growing awareness amongst ...