Table of Contents
PharmaPoint: Asthma - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2023
Asthma accounts for approximately 250,000 deaths around the world annually, deaths that otherwise could be easily prevented through appropriate treatment The asthma market saw very slow growth over the past decade, as it has become saturated with relatively efficacious standard therapies, such as short-acting beta-agonists (SABAs), inhaled corticosteroids (ICSs), inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting beta-agonists (ICS/LABAs), and leukotriene modifiers, and has also been facing increasing generic competition. However, the launch of seven novel targeted biologic agents and once-daily ICS and ICS/LABA therapies delivered by the next-generation inhalers will strongly drive the market growth over the next 10 years. The biologic agents will not only reshape the market growth, but will also mark the beginning of a new era of a personalized approach to asthma treatment. The realization that asthma is a very heterogeneous disease is highly reflected in the rich assortment of these targeted therapies in the late-stage pipeline.
Key Questions Answered
- Asthma symptoms can be controlled in the majority of patients using the current standard therapies. Nevertheless, in around 5-10% of people with asthma, the disease remains symptomatic and inadequately controlled. Therefore, there are considerably high unmet needs within the indication. What are the main unmet needs in this market? Will the drugs under development fulfil the unmet needs of the asthma market?
- The current late-stage asthma pipeline is dominated by biologics that target various inflammatory pathways in specific patient subpopulations. Will the late-stage drugs make a significant impact on the asthma market? What strategies are drug developers undertaking to penetrate this difficult but potentially very lucrative market?
- The prevalence of environmental diseases, including asthma, is increasing worldwide, with an estimated 400 million people likely to suffer from asthma in 2025. How will epidemiological changes impact the growth of the future market?
- The main driver of the enormous expansion of the asthma market will be the uptake of novel targeted biologic agents and once-daily ICS and ICS/LABA therapies in the next-generation inhalers.
- The major global barrier for the asthma market will be the generic erosion of the leading brands for asthma treatment, such as Advair (fluticasone propionate/salmeterol)and Symbicort (budesonide/formoterol fumarate).
- Companies are trying to penetrate or dominate the asthma market using two main approaches: 1) developing drugs with different delivery devices to capitalize on long-established off-patent therapies; 2) introducing biologics, in particular, interleukin inhibitors, to treat severe uncontrolled asthma.
- The largest unmet needs mainly reflect the high level of heterogeneity of the disease, the lack of patient compliance with the standard therapies, and the high cost of medications for asthma treatment. In addition, there is a lack of diagnostic tools to provide a reliable diagnosis of asthma in young children.
- Overview of asthma, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized asthma therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2013 and forecast for ten years to 2023.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the asthma therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global asthma therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline. Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global asthma therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global asthma therapeutics market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global asthma therapeutics market from 2013-2023.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
Note*: This report requires 5 business days to complete. DelveInsight’s Asthma - Market Insights, Epidemiology and Market Forecast-2023” Reports provides an overview of the disease and global market ...
China’s demand for Asthma Treatment Drugs has grown at a fast pace in the past decade. In the next decade, both production and demand will continue to grow. The Chinese economy maintains a high speed ...
DelveInsight “Asthma - Epidemiology Forecast To 2023” provides an overview of the epidemiology trends of Asthma in seven major markets (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK and Japan). It includes ...