Table of Contents
This BCC Research report forecasts the market size for the global market for power electronics and individual applications such as telecommunications, retail, residential and commercial, medicine, defense and surveillance, computing and entertainment, industrial and automotive, and energy.
Use this report to:
- Identify power electronics discretes and modules with detailed quantitative and qualitative analysis of their individual applications.
- Learn about the various types of semiconductor materials used in parts and products such as silicon (Si), gallium nitride (GaN) and silicon carbide.
- Analyze the regional dynamic involved in the consumption of power electronics discretes and modules.
- The global market for power electronics was worth $10.6 billion in 2013. The market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.9% between 2014 and 2019 resulting in totals of nearly $11.5 billion in 2014 and nearly $16 billion globally in 2019.
- The controlled power electronics segment totaled nearly $6.6 billion in 2013. The segment should increase to $7 billion in 2014 and reach about $10.1 billion by 2019, demonstrating a CAGR of 7.4% from 2014 to 2019.
- The uncontrolled power electronics segment totaled $3.1 billion in 2013. The segment should reach almost $3.5 billion in 2014 and $4.6 billion by 2019, a CAGR of 5.9% from 2014 to 2019.
Introduction & Scope
In simple terms, power electronics is a collective term for solid-state devices that convert electric power from one form to another: direct current to alternating current,
low frequency to high frequency and transmission voltages to line voltage, to name some examples. Power electronics are practically as old as electronics itself. Conversion and conditioning of power is fundamental to its effective utilization. Power electronics help in achieving this objective. Electronics, by definition, deals with electron-size circuits.
Employing devices and components based on nanoscale design principles to condition high voltages and currents requires effective blending of design principles of electrical
circuits and the behavior of electronic components. The fundamental objectives driving innovation in power electronics are thermal management, form factor efficiency and
cost-effective synthesis. This is not too different from the larger electronics industry. However, implications of mismanaging any of these objectives are unquestionably
graver for power electronics as compared to the larger electronics domain.
The power electronics industry is engaged in identifying technologies and materials that can keep pace with user demand for superior performance at least incremental
pricing. Silicon, a material that has dominated power electronics for some time, appears to be nearing the limits of its physical abilities to support the further evolution
of superior products. Stakeholders are therefore looking at alternative materials. Compound semiconductors provide a ready solution. Wide-bandgap characteristics
make for superior thermal management in some cases and better frequency response in others. These improvements do come at a cost. The notoriously cost-conscious
semiconductor supply chain is understandably wary of large-scale overhaul. The challenge boils down to stepwise introduction of new materials and associated processes without greatly upsetting the existing applecart.
This report attempts to present a quantitative account of the stakeholder journey in addressing the challenge mentioned above. Certain definitions and explanations are in order.
Discretes, as the name suggests, are stand-alone components, while modules are arrays/arrangements of multiple discretes. This report uses the terms components and
discretes interchangeably. This report forecasts the market size for discretes and modules. Systems are functional blocks comprised of discretes and modules. They perform a specific activity such as alternating current (AC)-AC, AC-direct current (DC), DC-DC and DC-AC conversion. Systems are available in embedded as well as stand-alone external formats. This report does not forecast the market size for systems, although discussing them is inevitable in the context of the report.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
This study’s goals and objectives are to:
- Measure and forecast the market size for overall power electronics discretes and modules in terms of sales and shipment volumes.
- Break down the overall power electronics discretes and modules market along the following individual end applications:
- Retail, residential and commercial.
- Defense and surveillance.
- Computing and entertainment.
- Industrial and automotive.
Discuss the individual end-application markets along the following controllability categories:
- Uncontrolled (power diode).
- Semicontrolled (thyristor, diode for alternating current (DIAC), triode for alternating current (TRIAC)).
- Completely controlled (power metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor (MOSFET), insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT), gate turn-off thyristor (GTO), power bipolar junction transistor (BJT)).
- Analyze the individual applications markets along types of semiconductor material such as silicon (Si), gallium nitride (GaN) and silicon carbide (SiC)
Break down the individual applications markets along specific geographic regions:
- Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA).
- Asia-Pacific (APAC).
- Analyze the stakeholder landscape in the power electronics commercialization endeavors.
- Analyze the patenting activity involving power electronics.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
“The gas insulated switchgear market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 9.4% from 2016 to 2021” The gas insulated switchgear market is expected to reach a market size of USD 25.95 billion by 2021, ...
Use this report to: - Analyze the developing market for superconducting applications, materials and other enabling technologies. - Assess expected technological and market trends in the longer term. - ...
Use this report to: - Analyze various applications of the fiber optic sensor market and market dynamics of each application. - Evaluate growth strategies by key players in the fiber optic sensor market. ...