Table of Contents
The future of organic light emitting diodes (OLEDs) and its market implications will be determined by the breadth and depth of their application potential and their ability to unleash a whole new world of application segments and opportunities. From display to lighting applications that are used in the consumer electronics, lighting, gaming, automotive and aerospace sectors, OLED technology promises to hold significantly high capability. Moreover, OLED technology has a very optimistic scenario and its prospect in the future is expected to be bright in and impact multiple industries.
The research service offers insights primarily on nine dimensions of OLED technology and its future market implications.
•Year of Impact
•Breadth of Industries
•Impact on Megatrend
•Potential Points of Convergence
•Size of Innovation Ecosystem
This research service discusses the key technological developments and trends in the OLED space from nine strategic perspectives. The level of commercialization and adoption of OLEDs in applications such as smartphones, tablets, televisions, flexible electronics, wearable electronics, lighting and other consumer applications is analyzed. Moreover, the research service takes under consideration the adoption rates in different regions and geographies, aiming to analyze the global footprint and the scope of development of OLEDs across the globe.
Funding analysis reveals current research and development focus areas and challenges faced by the industry. Assessment of patent landscape depicts the evolution of the different aspects of OLED core research, product development, as well as manufacturing processes. Additionally, the market potential for OLED displays and lighting applications provides perspectives on opportunities for OLED.
YEAR OF IMPACT
- OLED is currently being extensively used in the development of mobile device displays.
- Other applications that can be expected to follow include flexible and transparent displays and lighting applications
- AMOLED is expected to lead the OLED market for display applications.
- Lighting applications will have a higher potential in the longer term.
- APAC leads the development of OLED technologies, followed by the European Union and North America.
- Republic of Korea and Samsung leads the patent landscape, followed by LG.
- Building a strong IP portfolio, particularly with patents related to key OLED processes and materials, is one of the strategies companies use to remain competitive.
- Government funding plays a very important role in the development and commercialization of OLED technology.
- Current funding activities are mostly focused on developments in the area of materials and manufacturing processes.
BREADTH OF INDUSTRIES
- OLED technology has a wide range of display and lighting applications across industries.
- Displays in smartphones, tablets, and televisions have achieved considerable adoption.
- The introduction of large-sized OLEDs has enabled the industry to create new opportunities.
IMPACT OF MEGATRENDS
- OLED technology is perceived to have a strong impact on concepts of the future such as smart products, on sectors such as health, wellness and well-being, and on connectivity and convergence.
POINTS OF CONVERGENCE
- High potential for OLEDs to converge with technologies such as flexible electronics, wearable electronics, and energy harvesting enabling new product development and market opportunities.
- Consumer electronics majors and lighting companies are exploring OLEDs for the development of next generation applications.
- Various universities and research institutes are working on the development of high performance and cost-effective solutions in the OLED space.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
Lighting, 2016 Summary "Lighting, 2016" is part of GlobalData Retail’s Home Retail Series, which provides in-depth analysis into the lighting market, with value and volume forecasts up to 2021. The report ...
U.S. Lighting Products Market: Overview The U.S. lighting products market report provides analysis for the period 2014–2024, wherein the period from 2016 to 2024 is the forecast and 2015 is the base ...
“Street and roadway lighting market expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.03% between 2016 and 2022” According to the new market research report, the street and roadway lighting market is expected to grow ...