Table of Contents
PharmaPoint: Type 1 Diabetes - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2023
Type 1 diabetes (T1D) is an autoimmune disease that permanently destroys beta cells of the pancreatic islet, which means that the body can no longer produce insulin. Over the last 90 years, insulin therapy has been evolving continuously, as at present, no other treatment can be offered to a patient who is newly diagnosed with T1D. A variety of insulin analogs with different times of action - long-acting as well as short or rapid-acting analogs - have been on the market for the past decade. In addition, many other developments were happening in parallel, such as glucose monitoring and significant advances in insulin delivery systems. The T1D market will approximately double over the forecast period, growing from $6.6 billiion to $13.6 billion.This growth will be fueled by the significant increase in T1D prevalence as well as the uptake of the novel ultra-long-acting insulin analogs, novel ultra-rapid formulations of insulin analogs, and the adjunct therapies for T1D. The launches of these novel products will offset the dip in sales caused by the patent expiries of seven insulin products, and the consequent emergence of biosimilars.
Key Questions Answered
- Insulin therapy has been the cornerstone of the T1D treatment. The advances in insulin therapies have contributed to better treatment of T1D patients; nevertheless, the overall life expectancy in T1D patients is still 10-15 years less than in the healthy population. Therefore, there are considerably high unmet needs within the indication. What are the main unmet needs in this market? Will the drugs under development fulfil the unmet needs of the T1D market?
- The current late-stage T1D pipeline encompasses one novel ultra-long-acting insulin analog, several novel ultra-rapid formulations of already marketed human insulins and rapid-insulin analogs, biosimilar versions of marketed insulins, and last but not least, adjunctive therapies that are focused on complementing intensive insulin therapy. Will the late-stage drugs make a significant impact on the T1D market? Which of these drugs will have the highest peak sales at the highest CAGR, and why?
- We have seen a significant increase in T1D diagnosed prevalence over the past 10 years. How will epidemiological changes impact the growth of the future market?
- The main driver of the enormous expansion of the T1D market will be the significant increase in T1D diagnosed prevalence as well as the uptake of novel ultra-long-acting insulin analogs , novel ultra-rapid-acting formulations of currently marketed rapid-acting insulin analogs and adjunct therapies such as GLP-1 RAs and SGLT-2, inhibitors.
- The major global barrier for the T1Dmarket will be the biosimilar erosion of the leading insulin brands for T1D treatment, such as Lantus (insulin glargine), Levemir (insulin detemir), Humalog (insulin lispro), and NovoLog (insulin aspart).
- The dynamics of the insulin market will not change drastically over the next 10 years in terms of the current and future players in the T1D market and GlobalData expects that Novo Nordisk, Sanofi, and Eli Lilly will continue ruling this space, as they are undertaking various strategies to defend their franchises from upcoming biosimilar erosion.
- One of the largest unmet needs is a need for therapies that would interfere with the pathogenic processes involved in the eradication of the beta cells in T1D patients. Other unmet needs include hypoglycemia avoidance, weight loss and control of the associated metabolic syndrome, treatment for brittle diabetes, and increased patient compliance.
- Overview of type 1 diabetes, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized T1D therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2013 and forecast for ten years to 2023.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the T1D therapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global T1Dtherapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global T1D therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global T1D therapeutics market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global T1D therapeutics market from 2013-2023.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
The global pen needles market is expected to reach a value of USD 4.8 billion by 2025, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Rising prevalence of diabetes is the primary reason for the ...
The global insulin market is expected to reach USD 42 billion by 2020, growing at a CAGR of XX%. Insulin is a peptide hormone secreted by the beta cells in the pancreas. Insulin maintains the metabolism ...
China’s demand for Diabetes Drugs has grown at a fast pace in the past decade. In the next decade, both production and demand will continue to grow. The Chinese economy maintains a high speed growth ...