Table of Contents
EpiCast Report: Fibromyalgia - Epidemiology Forecast to 2023
Fibromyalgia, also known as fibromyalgia syndrome and fibrositis, is a common form of nonarticular rheumatism that is associated with chronic, widespread musculoskeletal pain, generalized tender joints, fatigue, and a long list of wide-ranging symptoms, such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), headaches, and depression. Fibromyalgia is a complex illness to diagnose and treat, as it is idiopathic, and its symptoms may be part of or overlap with other diseases.
For this analysis, GlobalData epidemiologists defined fibromyalgia using the International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision (ICD-9) code for fibromyalgia (729.1) and the International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision (ICD-10) code for fibromyalgia (M79.7). GlobalData epidemiologists used country-specific studies that provided the total prevalence of fibromyalgia using the 2010 American College of Rheumatology (ACR) classification criteria for this epidemiological forecast.
In 2013, there were 23,663,533 total prevalent cases of fibromyalgia in the 7MM. GlobalData epidemiologists forecast that the total prevalent cases in the 7MM will increase to 24,881,838 by 2023, at an Annual Growth Rate (AGR) of 0.51%. All markets, except for Germany and Japan, will see a small increase in the number of cases at varying AGRs. Since GlobalData epidemiologists held the prevalence constant throughout the forecast period, the differences observed in the total prevalent cases of fibromyalgia in the 7MM are driven by changes in the underlying population dynamics of each market.
In the 7MM, fibromyalgia epidemiological studies have shown that women have a higher total prevalence of fibromyalgia compared with men. When the 1990 ACR criteria were used to define fibromyalgia, a majority of patients with fibromyalgia were women due to the greater number of female body tender points. However, the 2010 ACR criteria are entirely symptom-based, do not require tender point counts, and provide a more accurate sex distribution of total prevalent cases of fibromyalgia (Wolfe et al., 2011). Additional studies are needed to clarify the etiology of the association between sex and fibromyalgia.
- The Fibromyalgia EpiCast Report provides an overview of the risk factors, global, and historical trends of fibromyalgia in the 7MM (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, and Japan). It includes a 10-year epidemiology forecast of fibromyalgia total prevalent cases segmented by age (in five-year increments for all ages), sex, and pain severity (mild, moderate, and severe) in these seven markets.
- The fibromyalgia epidemiology report is written and developed by Masters- and PhD-level epidemiologists.
- The EpiCast Report is in-depth, high quality, transparent and market-driven, providing expert analysis of disease trends in the 7MM.
Reasons to buye
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global fibromyalgia market.
- Quantify patient populations in the global fibromyalgia market to improve product design, pricing, and launch plans.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the age groups and sex that present the best opportunities for fibromyalgia therapeutics in each of the markets covered.
- Identify the percentage of fibromyalgia total prevalent cases by severity.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
Note*: This report requires 5 business days to complete. DelveInsight’s Neuropathic Pain - Market Insights, Epidemiology and Market Forecast-2023” Reports provides an overview of the disease and global ...
Note*: This report requires 5 business days to complete. DelveInsight’s Fibromyalgia - Market Insights, Epidemiology and Market Forecast-2023” Reports provides an overview of the disease and global ...
About Neuropathy Pain Treatment Neuropathic pain is a complex, chronic pain condition that is accompanied by tissue injury. In neuropathic pain, the nerve fibers may be damaged, dysfunctional, or injured. ...