Table of Contents
Growing Performance Requirements and Lightweighting Drive Adoption
This research service identifies the main market drivers, restraints, and technology trends affecting the European and North American high-performance plastics market in the transportation industry. The end-user sectors covered are automotive, aviation, railway, and marine. Unit shipment and revenue forecasts have been provided at sub-segment (polymer) level for each segment for the period 2011–2021. At the sub-segment level, the analysis focuses on market dynamics in North America and Europe. Competitive structure and market share data have been provided for each polymer type. The base year is 2014 and the forecast period is from 2015 to 2021.
- The automotive sector is the largest consumer, by volume, of high-performance plastics in the transportation industry. As the aviation sector places high emphasis on performance, there is growing adoption of high-performance plastics to replace metals.
- High-performance plastics offer lightweighting, fuel efficiency, environmental sustainability, and design freedom to the transportation industry as original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) in the automotive and aviation sectors, in particular, seek metal replacement materials.
- Growing environmental concerns and regulatory trends to reduce carbon footprint have steered the focus of OEMs to continuously reduce fuel consumption and carbon-dioxide (CO2) emissions from vehicles.
- Railway and marine sectors are only in the early stages of adopting high-performance plastics because of competition and the high material cost of these plastics. Commodity thermoplastics, thermosets, and metal matrix composites (MMCs) are the lower-cost alternatives to high-performance plastics in the transportation industry.
- The market for high-performance plastics is highly consolidated, with a very small number of participants controlling large market shares—resulting in high supplier power. Market entry barriers are high due to the need for technical know-how and large initial investments.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
The global engineering plastics market was valued at USD 61,817.63 million in 2015 and is expected to reach USD 99,334.03 million by 2021, at a CAGR of 8.23%. Asia-Pacific, currently, dominates the market ...
Use this report to: - Learn about the global disposable and nondisposable medical plastics market. - Analyze various medical device plastic processes. - Gain insight into the recent patents issues related ...
Global Plastic Recycling Market: Overview Plastic recycling is a process of cleaning, sorting and processing of pre-consumer or post-consumer plastic waste into resins for various applications. This plastic ...