Table of Contents
Purchasing Trends and Intentions in Mining in North America, 2015
Overall trends in the data revealed -
- Respondents from mines in North America expect stability in their expenditure. The majority of respondents expect spending to be flat, for instance 56% for ‘plant and heavy equipment’
- Outright purchase is the most common purchasing method. Some 69% of respondents nominated outright purchase as the method they use for heavy mining equipment. This was the dominant method of procurement, with all other methods being used by fewer than 27% of respondents in each case.
- 67% of respondents identified that their biggest challenge when sourcing products were factors related to supplier attributes and capabilities, such as the availability of spare parts and dealing with remote locations.
- In North America, the majority of decisions are still made at the mine site, accounting for around 65% of all final decisions.
- Over 28% of respondents expected more centralization of purchasing decisions over the next two years.
- Some 55% of respondents indicated they had a preferred global supply agreement, and when responses were broken down by type of purchase covered by the preferred supplier, trucks dominated.
- The survey is based on responses from 101 senior managers and decision makers at North American mines, responsible for the purchase of equipment for plant within mine operations, along with its consumables. Survey respondents came from either Canada or the United States. This included 4 different commodity groups and a range of surface and underground mining operations.
Reasons to buy
- Compare the methods miners in North America use to acquire equipment, and how this is expected to change
- Plan ahead based on general expectations within the North American mining industry for future expenditure, and how this varies by segment, such as mine type, commodity, company size and region.
- Understand how different customer segments in the North American mining industries Plan to rationalise or extend their supplier networks.
- Understand where decision making is made, be that at either the mine site or corporate head office.
- Identify the major challenges miners in North America face when sourcing equipment, and incorporate solutions to these in your sales, marketing and product strategies
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
From 2016-2021, Growth of the Medium Duty Truck Market at 7.9% and Heavy Duty Trucks Market at 1.5% Will Help OEMs to Expand Volume This research service presents a detailed analysis of the truck market ...
Powered by Digital Transformation, Connected Truck Services are Estimated to Generate $5.41 Billion in Revenues in 2017 The study aims to analyze and forecast the global connected truck (commercial vehicle ...
Opportunities worth ~$245 Billion for Ecosystem Participants by 2025 This research service aims at identifying, analyzing, and profiling start-ups disrupting the Global Connected Truck Market. The majo ...