Table of Contents
Counter UAS Technologies: Drone Proliferation is Driving Investment in and Development of Technologies to Counter Military and Commercial Threats
In the past decade, the technology for building and operating unmanned aerial systems (UASs)—also commonly referred to as unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), remotely piloted aircraft (RPA), or drones—has become relatively inexpensive and very accessible. This has caused a rapid proliferation in use. This rapid proliferation is occurring military, civil, commercial, and recreational applications, and has generated a need for countermeasures to detect and negate UASs with malicious intentions through physical or non-physical means, depending on the scenario
Counter unmanned aerial system (C-UAS) technologies are in a relatively early stage of development; however, investment and interest in creating effective drone detection and negation systems is rapidly increasing for both military and commercial applications.
- Military C-UAS systems are predominantly comprised of current radars and sensor product offerings that are adapted to detect and track small, fast, low flying aircraft while being able to distinguish them from other targets, such as birds.
- Systems for detecting and negating small, commercial drones are being developed globally, but a few companies, like DroneShield, have a head start.
- Non-military drone detection/negation systems that utilize only one detection method (e.g., acoustic sensors) will lose out to more robust systems that integrate several detection types to increase detection range and reliability.
- Swarming technologies will be used both as an offensive and defensive measure in unmanned aerial system (UAS) operations.
- Many attempts to regulate commercial drone use have been ad hoc and reactive rather than proactive because the technology has advanced quicker than the bureaucracies’ abilities to develop proper regulatory frameworks.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
“Geospatial analytics market projected to grow at a CAGR of 19.2%” The geospatial analytics market is projected to grow from USD 30.71 billion in 2016 to USD 73.91 billion by 2021, at a CAGR of 19.2%. ...
Global Military Personal Protective Equipment Market: Overview Military personal protective equipment has become a crucial and standard element of soldier equipment. One of the major factor driving the ...
“Fiber optics gyroscope market to grow at a CAGR of 3.61% between 2016 and 2022” The fiber optics gyroscope market is expected to reach USD 1,037.0 million by 2022, at a CAGR of 3.61% between 2016 ...