Table of Contents
Strategic Overview of United States Automotive Aftermarket Maintenance and Repair Service Channels : Industry Facing Potential Skilled Labor Crisis
This research service presents an overview of the automotive maintenance and repair industry in the United States. Service channels will evolve from 2015 to 2021 as small repair shops close and are replaced by franchised chains and mass merchants. Overall growth will be driven by an increasing average vehicle age. However, shops capable of repairing and maintaining foreign nameplate vehicles will enjoy higher growth than those specializing in domestic brands as the vehicle population shifts in favor of Asian automobiles. This analysis includes findings from Frost & Sullivan’s annual vehicle owners’ maintenance survey, combined with secondary data and insights from the analyst team. It gives a forecast for service centers by type, vehicles in operation by nameplate, and total automotive parts stores, as well as insights into consumer behavior and key conclusions.
Automotive Maintenance and Repair Market: Key Findings, United States, 2014–2021
Growth to be concentrated in the maintenance and repair of foreign nameplates.
- The number of domestic nameplate vehicles to remain stable or decline slightly in the coming years, suggesting reduced demand.
- Total Honda, Toyota, Hyundai/Kia, and Mazda nameplates to grow several times faster than for domestic brands, enhancing demand for technicians to service these brands.
- Increased specialization of service providers will occur. 2 Tire dealers are in a solid position to grow as multi-service providers.
- Tire dealers are in a solid position to grow as multi-service providers, adding services—such as transmission flush, windshield repair, and tire rotation—and products, such as spark plugs and wiper blades. Tires represents about % of all aftermarket parts sales.
- Automobile dealerships in the original equipment supplier (OES) channel will add more aftermarket parts to their service departments to offer lower-priced maintenance to owners of post-warranty vehicles. Some, such as Ford and Volkswagen, will also expand the number of quick-lube lanes at their dealer sites. 3 Changing consumer behavior to increase the degree of competition within service channels.
- Do-it-yourself (DIY) activity to continue declining over the medium-to-long term as vehicle architectures evolve and fewer consumers have experience performing routine maintenance.
- Oil change intervals to lengthen due to increased use of synthetic lubricants and premium filters. This will increase the importance of each job to the service repair industry.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
China automobile repairing industry, 2017 is valuable for anyone who wants to invest in the automobile repairing industry, to get Chinese investments; to import into China or export from China, to build ...
Fixed up: Rising incomes and corporate profit will boost industry demand AbstractAuto Mechanics in the US The Auto Mechanics industry has grown steadily over the past five years. Individuals and businesses ...
The 2017 Market Research Report on All Other Automotive Repair and Maintenance is an in-depth evaluation of the industry and will provide you with the key insights, trends and benchmarks you need to create ...