Table of Contents
MediPoint: Viscosupplementation - Global Analysis and Market Forecasts
Osteoarthritis (OA) constitutes a growing public health burden, and is the most common cause of musculoskeletal disability across the globe. Intra-articular viscosupplementation with hyaluronic acid (HA) has become an increasingly accepted therapeutic alternative to knee replacement surgery in the symptomatic management of OA over the past decade. Going forward, palliative pain treatments are likely to continue to fare well as healthcare reform kicks in and lag times for knee replacement become the norm. Growth of the viscosupplementation market will be highest in the US and the Asia-Pacific (APAC) region, where there is a significant pent-up demand for early intervention in the management of OA.
The increasing prevalence of OA and the lower cost of prescribing viscosupplementation compared with knee replacement surgery have prompted the medical community to take a closer look at this therapy. However, there is a growing concern among physicians that the updated American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) and Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI) treatment guidelines for knee OA will result in increased insurance denials for viscosupplementation. Moving forward, industry consolidation and intense competition in the viscosupplementation arena will cause increasing numbers of companies to augment their research efforts to differentiate their products from the lower-end competitors. The motivation to incorporate the favorable properties of different agents into a more effective viscosupplementation product has led to the manipulation and development of next-generation HA formulations consisting of not only HAs, but also pharmaceuticals, such as corticosteroids.
Key Questions Answered
- Future growth in the viscosupplementation market lies in the one-injection segment. What are the current adoption trends in different geographies? How will one-injection segment drive the market revenue growth in the upcoming years?
- In the US, some commercial insurers have completely excluded viscosupplementation treatment from their coverage. Even when the criteria for coverage have clearly been met by the patient, denials are common. Has this impacted the procedure volume growth in the US viscosupplementation market?
- Reimbursement is the single greatest barrier to the market growth for viscosupplementation procedures. How does the current payer mix look like in different countries?
- In recent years, there has been an expansion in the use of intra-articular HA viscosupplementation for treating OA at hips, shoulders, and other small joints. What are the current adoption trends in different regions?
- Because the most prevalent treatment regimen varies from region to region, the competitive landscape in the viscosupplementation space can be quite different across the geographies covered in this report. Who are the leading players in the viscosupplementation market in different countries?
Reasons to buy
- “What Do Physicians Think” quotes provide a unique insight into how healthcare professionals are reacting to events within the industry, and what their responses could mean for industry strategists. This information is essential for all strategic decision makers in every organization allowing them to act on high quality information.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
PharmaPoint: Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and Lupus Nephritis - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2025 Summary Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) is a systemic inflammatory autoimmune disease ...
PharmaPoint: Ulcerative Colitis - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2025 Summary Ulcerative Colitis (UC) is a type of chronic IBD that causes inflammation and ulcers in the innermost lining of ...
PharmaFocus: Tauopathies - Global Market Analysis Summary Tauopathies are a class of more than 20 neurodegenerative diseases characterized by tau protein aggregation in the brain. There are currently no ...