Table of Contents
Vietnam has the third smallest telecom market in the Asia-Pacific region and is estimated to generate telecom revenue of $10.1bn at the end of 2020. Mobile data will continue to be the largest contributor to revenue and will contribute 81% of overall telecom revenue at year-end 2015. The growth in the mobile segment will be primarily driven by increased data usage, further fueled by low-priced 3G data packages. Major operators including Viettel and Vinaphone are currently focusing on launching 4G services in Vietnam in 2016, following investments in 4G network trials in 2015. The adoption of data services will be further fueled by the government's broadband initiatives to expand broadband coverage in underpenetrated areas in Vietnam. Moreover, MobiFone's privatization plan will accelerate foreign investment, which will further boost the telecom infrastructure in Vietnam. Equipment and device makers are poised to benefit from the 4G launch and operators' focus on introducing low-end devices to capture price-sensitive customers. Pay-TV operators will have significant opportunities followed by pay-TV price hikes and Vietnam's digital switchover plan scheduled for 2020.
- Vietnam has the third smallest telecom services market in the Asia-Pacific region, with estimated revenue of US$7.3bn, or 3.7% of nominal GDP in 2015.
- Pyramid Research expects telecom service revenue to reach $10.1bn in 2020 (CAGR of 6.8% over 2015-2020) driven by operator investments in 4G network rollout and FTTH deployments.
- The revenue mix will continue to be dominated by mobile services due to ongoing investments in 4G network rollouts. Fixed and mobile data penetration will increase subsequently and will account for 60.7% of total revenue in 2020, up from 46.3% in 2015.
“Vietnam: Operators Target 3G Mobile Data Adoption Prior to 4G Network Rollouts” provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Vietnam today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2020. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into Vietnam's telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Research's databases.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Regional context: telecom market size and trends in Vietnam compared with other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Vietnam.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data.
- Service evolution: a look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed and mobile sectors and between voice, data and video from 2013 to 2020.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
- An in-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony and broadband services, mobile voice, data services and pay-TV; a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities: this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in Vietnam's telecommunications markets.
Reasons To Buy
- Gain in-depth analysis of current strategies and future trends of Vietnam's telecommunications market, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format, to build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Understand the factors behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Vietnam's mobile communications, fixed telephony and broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares, to align product offerings and strategies to meet customer's demand.
- Leverage the graphical information (more than 20 charts and tables in the report based on the Pyramid Research forecast products), to gain an overview of the Vietnamese telecom market.
- Analysis of key telecom players in the markets and major business strategies being adopted by them, to identify the opportunities to improve the market share.
- Explore novel opportunities to align your product strategies and offerings to meet the requirements and succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Vietnam.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
"The rate of annual growth worldwide will decline persistently over the forecast period, falling from 78% in 2015 to 30% in 2021." Cellular data traffic growth will continue to be stronger in emerging ...
"Cellular data traffic in Sub-Saharan Africa will be over 9 times higher in 2021 than in 2016 – this growth will be key to mobile operators' future prospects." Mobile network operators in Sub-Saharan ...
"Cellular data traffic in the Middle East and North Africa will be 484% higher in 2021 than in 2016 – mobile operators must monetise this growth." Mobile network operators in the Middle East and North ...