Table of Contents
The number of affluent investors in Hong Kong grew to 2.4 million in 2015, achieving a lower rate of growth than its long-term average since the financial crisis rocked the market in 2008. Yet Hong Kong remains an attractive market. 40% of the adult population is considered affluent, comparable to markets in the developed West, while growth rates still resemble those found in the East. Growth going forward will be more modest for both affluent investor numbers and assets. But with affluent assets still forecast to achieve 7.2% annual growth over the years to 2019 - due to more residents moving into this class and a general appreciation of capital - Hong Kong retains much of its allure as a source of new clients for wealth managers.
- The total number of affluent investors in Hong Kong is forecast to grow to 3.3 million by 2019.
- Retail savings and investments are dominated by deposits, and despite the low returns on offer this is not expected to change as investors will remain cautious.
- High net worth (HNW) investors are equally cautious in their onshore liquid investment portfolio allocations, with a modest 6.3% held in alternatives, commodities, and property.
- Strong global links make Hong Kong HNW investors among the most ready to offshore, with 40% of their wealth booked offshore.
Verdict Financial's “Wealth in Hong Kong: Sizing the Market Opportunity” analyzes Hong Kong's wealth and retail savings and investments markets, with a focus on the HNW segment. The report is based on our proprietary datasets.
Specifically the report:
- Sizes the affluent market (both by the number of individuals and value of their liquid assets) using our proprietary datasets.
- Analyzes which asset classes are favored by Hong Kong's investors and how their preferences impact the growth of the total savings and investments market.
- Examines HNW clients' attitudes towards non-liquid investments such as property and commodities.
- Identifies key drivers and booking centers for offshore investments.
Reasons To Buy
- Benchmark your share of Hong Kong's wealth market against the current market size.
- Forecast your future growth prospects using our projections for the market to 2019.
- Identify your most promising client segment by analyzing penetration of affluent individuals in Hong Kong.
- Evaluate your HNW proposition by understanding how the local tax system affects your HNW clients.
- Review your offshore strategy by learning HNW motivations for offshore investments and their preferred booking centers.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
Advisory Asset Management: HNW Demand and Drivers Summary Globally over 25% of HNW individual’s portfolio is invested via advisory services, with markets in Asia Pacific displaying the strongest affinity ...
2017: Trends to Watch in Global Wealth Management Summary Global uncertainty will continue to keep investors busy in 2017. Most notably, ongoing Brexit negotiations, the effects of the Italian referendum, ...
Wealth in the US: HNW Investors Summary GlobalData’s “Wealth in the US: HNW Investors” report analyzes the investing preferences and portfolio allocation of US HNW investors. The report is based ...