Table of Contents
About the Global Parcel Delivery Market Insight Report 2015
The Global Parcel Delivery Market Insight Report 2015 is intended to provide an analysis of the market and the trends which are driving it – in particular the growth of online retailing and the delivery challenges it raises – and evaulate the world’s largest carriers.
Key findings from the global parcels market report include:
– The market grew at a CAGR of 7.5% between 2010 and 2014.
– While the US remains the largest market in value terms, China is witnessing staggering growth in parcel volumes and is now the world’s largest market by volume
– The combined revenues of carriers covered amounts to US$150bn
– Carrier consolidation continues. While the big news is the proposed acquisition of TNT by FedEx, there have been many smaller deals, with the acquisitino of capabilities relevant for e-commerce being a particular focus
– All carriers and retailers are wrestling with last-mile delivery challenges. In the report we review and discuss developments in click and collect, direct delivery by retailers, parcel shops and lockers, delivery to the workplace, home lockers and in-boot deliveries, carrier collaboration initiatives, drone deliveries and new entrants to the area.
– Some customers have shifted from priority to deferred product options and this has impacted carrier profitability
Industry concentration varies by segment with international air express being the most concentrated. Concentration of domestic (national) parcel delivery services varies from country to country. Even after recent waves of consolidation in the global parcels market, there are still smaller players operating within most domestic and even regional markets. The global parcels industry is witnessing seismic changes from technological innovation, shifts in economic activity, and the booming trend in online retailing.
E-commerce growth has driven a huge growth in B2C parcel market volumes and consumers are now demanding more convenient methods of collecting their parcels as well as more efficient methods of returns. This report highlights the role that national postal operators have played in the parcels market. Traditionally focused on letter mail (now suffering a slow volume decline, largely as a result of e-substitution), postal operators now find themselves in a strong position to benefit from the growth in B2C parcel deliveries.
Many national post offices have expanded significantly in the global parcels market via acquisition. Royal Mail made a number of targeted acquisitions to build a pan-European parcels network, General Logistics Systems. La Poste also followed a similar strategy to build its European network, DPD. The integrators (UPS, FedEx, DHL, TNT) dominate the international express segment, although are strong domestic players in some markets (UPS and FedEx in the US, DHL in Germany and TNT in several major European markets such as the UK and Italy). However, lacklustre performance from TNT in recent years led it to become a takeover target by UPS in 2012. That deal was blocked by the European Commission on antitrust grounds. The same regulators are currently assessing a FedEx proposal to acquire TNT, with a decision – widely expected to be favourable – due in January 2016.
Which companies are covered in the parcels market report?
– Deutsche Post DHL
– TNT Express
– Yamato Holdings (Yamato Transport)
– SG Holdings (Sagawa Express)
– Japan Post Group
– United States Postal Service (USPS)
– China Post
– Royal Mail
– La Poste Group
What is the parcels market report methodology?
Apex Insight employs a market map modelling exercise to estimate the market sizes contained in this report. This employs both top-down analysis and bottom-up research. Our top-down approach incorporates GDP and other economic data into our market model whilst the bottom-up work gathers a wide range of data on company activities, associated revenues and market share estimates. We then interpret the results in the light of our experience in and knowledge of the industry
The main sources for the report are:
– Extensive desk research on the global parcels market and its participants including company accounts, websites and many other sources
– Published information on key market drivers such as economic data and estimates of home shopping levels and practices
– Insights from our on-going work in the industry
What is the parcels market definition?
The report covers the global parcels market. The definition of the parcels market includes domestic, intra-region and international parcels. It also includes business-to-business, business-to-consumer and consumer-consigned parcels. Parcel weight definitions vary, between operators and countries, but most describe parcels up to various weights to a maximum of between 30kg to 50kg. All service levels are included (time definite and deferred). Adjacent services, such as mail, pallet distribution, groupage, freight forwarding, sameday courier and contract logistics are excluded wherever possible.
Who is it useful for?
The global parcels market report is intended for:
Owners and operators of parcel networks
Customers of those networks, in particular, retailers who sell via the internet
Investors in these businesses
Market regulators and policymakers
Banks, analysts, consultants and other parties with interests in the sector
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
“The evolution of connected vehicles and increasing logistics transparency across the globe and the increasing adoption of connected and intelligent devices are some of the factors expected to drive ...
Hong Kong, with a GDP worth US$274 billion, once an exploited British colony, is today one of the most prosperous countries in the world. Its market is considered one of the freest in the world. Today, ...
“Cold chain market projected to grow at a CAGR of 7.0% during the forecast period” The cold chain market is estimated to be valued at USD 189.92 billion in 2017 and is projected to reach a value of ...