Table of Contents
Motorists across Europe are increasingly starting to use service stations as one of the main places to purchase food (after the supermarket). In a European market that is having to raise fuel prices year-on-year due to ever increasing wholesale costs, creating an attractive retail proposition to make up for lost fuel margins is vital to remain profitable and to compete effectively within Europe.
Across Europe, grocery items for use in the home account for 70% of the average retail spend per month at the service station. With motorists increasingly using service stations to purchase grocery items and more major fuel retailers partnering with convenience retailers, Verdict expects this proportion to rise over the next few years.
The average spend at service station retailers that are partnered with a local grocer or fast food retailer is higher than at fuel retailers that only offer own brand retail products. In the UK, some fuel retailers have seen average motorist expenditure increase by up to 13% due to strong partnerships with grocers and fast food retailers.
On average, motorists use the retail facilities at the service station one and half times per month compared to four times to refuel. In order to increase the frequency of retail purchases at the service station, it is important for fuel retailers to examine their product mix and establish how best to target the needs of motorists.
Reasons To Buy
- Benchmark your convenience retail business's profitability by accessing competitors' average motorist basket size and frequency of visit.
- Develop new marketing ideas by examining the shop strategies related to product mix, promotions and partners employed by retailers.
- Examine the breakdown of motorists' average spend by different product categories, to more effectively plan your product mix.
- Drive customer footfall at service station shops by understanding what features customers value and use most at European service stations and shops.
Your key questions answered
- What is the average motorist basket value in France, Germany, Italy, Lithuania, Poland, Spain, Sweden and the UK?
- Which product category is purchased most frequently by motorists at the service station (by country and retailer)?
- Which product category produces the highest sales value (by country and retailer)?
- How are the top fuel retailers across Europe presenting their retail propositions and what effect is this having on average motorist spend?
- How do motorists perceive the various service station shop brands? Which one is considered to be the best brand across the eight countries in Europe?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Ahmad
+1 718 618 4302
Summary Fuel Cards in Southern Europe 2016 is invaluable for issuers of fleet cards, fuel retailers, fleet leasing companies and other suppliers to the sector. Based on research with issuers and fuel retailers ...
Summary Fuel Cards in Eastern Markets 2016 is invaluable for issuers of fleet cards, fuel retailers, fleet leasing companies and other suppliers to the sector. Based on research with issuers and fuel retailers ...
Summary Fuel Cards in Europe, Northern Markets 2016 is invaluable for issuers of fleet cards, fuel retailers, fleet leasing companies and other suppliers to the sector. Based on research with issuers and ...