Table of Contents
Growth in the UK underwear market is forecast to pick up in 2015, up 2.8%. This will be driven by an improvement in the UK economy as unemployment falls and earnings growth exceeds inflation, easing pressure on disposable incomes. While a general upswing in consumer confidence will boost consumers' willingness to spend on underwear on a more regular basis rather than on a needs-only basis.
- Identify which underwear sub-sectors to invest in by using the five year forecasts for lingerie, nightwear, hosiery and men's daywear and nightwear.
- Maximise sales potential by investing in the most important drivers of spend and satisfying consumer shopping habits and shopper journey.
- Glean which retailers are gaining market share and why, and use these success factors to inform your business growth strategy.
- Drive higher levels of impulse driven purchases rather than replacement driven by targeting the right shoppers and growing ranges of the right product
Value retailers have been the real winners, growing their share of the UK underwear market to 28.1% in 2015 up from 25.4% in 2010. With the economic downturn putting pressure on disposable incomes, consumers shifted their spend to value clothing players lured by their much improved underwear offer and keen price points.
65+ year olds hold the largest share of the UK underwear market. However, expenditure is driven by an ageing population with spend per head being the lowest of all age groups. Retailers can target this consumer group more effectively by expanding their ranges to better support their needs, including plus size lingerie and support underwear.
55.7% of underwear shoppers say price is their biggest driver of spend in underwear. However, fit and quality also rank highly with shoppers looking for value for money, therefore retailers cannot simply rely on low prices to drive spend. Fit is particularly important for 16-24s, so young value retailers must consider introducing fitting services.
Reasons To Buy
- What share does online have of the total UK underwear market and how will this change by 2020? What can retailers do to increase online penetration?
- How has nightwear preformed over the last five years and which retailers have invested in the sector? How can retailers drive men's nightwear sales?
- Which retailers will gain and lose market share in 2015 and will MandS maintain its market leading position? How are underwear specialists performing?
- What share of underwear spend is on gifting? What make the most popular underwear gifts and which consumers should retailers target gifting ranges to?
- Which age groups across men's and women's spend the most on underwear and where do they shop? How can retailers get the 55+s spending more?
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
U.S. men’s underwear market is a multibillion dollar industry growing at a respectable rate In terms of value, the U.S. men’s underwear market is anticipated to register a CAGR of 5.8% during the ...
This study focuses on China’s Bras market trends. In the two past decades, the market has been growing at a fast pace. The dramatic expansions of the manufacturing capabilities and rising consume ...
This study focuses on China’s Lingerie market trends. In the two past decades, the market has been growing at a fast pace. The dramatic expansions of the manufacturing capabilities and rising consume ...