Table of Contents
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 12th Edition of the report “Garden Leisure Market Report - UK 2014-2018 Analysis”. This report is an up to date and comprehensive review of the domestic garden leisure sector, and includes original research on this market.
While the poor summer in 2012 impacted negatively on the sector, 2013 represented a distinct improvement as both the climate and the UK economy started to recover. This has carried on into 2014. This unique report provides an invaluable guide to the current situation in the market, focusing on market size and trends, product mix, supply, distribution and future prospects.
Product sectors reviewed include:
• Garden Furniture
• Garden Leisure Accessories
The market has experienced a period of recovery in recent years, though mixed summer weather during the 2011-2013 period has resulted in some market volatility. 2014 has been more buoyant. Medium term prospects are optimistic as consumers move more up-market and the report assesses market developments and the implications of these changes for suppliers, distributors and retailers - particulary in relation to the growth of internet retailing.
Areas of particular interest include:
• Market size for 2013/14 and medium term forecasts to 2018.
• Changes to the material mix within the Garden Furniture sector.
• Growth of the internet channel for garden furniture and barbeques.
• Key drivers within individual product sectors - steady move upmarket.
• Review of key suppliers.
Some of the companies included:
Acorn Furniture, Alexander Rose, Barlow Tyrie, BeefEater, Big K Products UK, Blue Diamond, Britannic Garden Furniture, Cadac, Calor Gas, Cast-iron Chimineas UK, Chimineas Inc, Coleman UK, crocus.co.uk, Dobbies Garden Centres, Europa Leisure, Garden Centre Online, Garden Products Online, Garden XL, Garden4less, Gerrico, Gloster Furniture, Great Little Garden, Greenfingers Trading, Grosfillex UK, Hartmann UK, Haskins Garden Centres, Hillier Nurseries, Hillview, John Robertson, Keengardener, Keter (UK), Kettler (GB), Kirklees Developments, Klondyke Garden Centres, Kybotech, La Hacienda, Landmann, Lead the Good Life, Leisuregrow Products, Li-Lo Leisure Products, Notcutts, OMC Barbecues, Outback, Outdoor Chef (Europe), P J Bridgman, Pro-Team UK, Rectella International, Sierra Space Heating, Solus Garden and Leisure UK, Squires, Sunnflair, Sunshine Barbecues, Tansun, Taylors Garden Buildings, The Garden Centre Group, The Internet Gardener, Van Hage, Weber-Stephen Products, Westminster Teak.
Key areas covered in the report include:
FUTURE PROSPECTS AND FORECASTS
• Prospects for the garden leisure market – overview of key markets - furniture, barbeques, accessories.
• Major factors influencing future performance - volatility of sector, changing consumer trends etc.
• Forecast developments by products and market sectors.
• Distribution channels - share estimates, overview of changes in distribution and impact on garden leisure industry etc. - growth of internet sales etc.
GARDEN FURNITURE MARKET
• Market size by value – trends from 2006 through until 2018. Recent market performance, current situation and reasons for trends, including positive and negative factors affecting the market.
• Future trends for overall garden furniture – forecast to 2018, key factors influencing future prospects.
• Product mix by type – shares by tables, chairs, sets, benches, hammocks etc.
• Mix by Material - wood, metal, plastic/resin - market shares, changes by material since 2006.
• Key suppliers of different types of garden furniture, leading companies within the garden furniture market – market shares, positioning etc.
• Distribution channels for garden leisure products - channel shares (DIY, Garden Centres, Internet, Dept. Stores, Catalogue/Mail Order etc.), major companies involved in each channel.
• Size of barbecue market in both volume and value terms, 2008 through to 2013/14 with forecasts to 2018. Reasons for recent trends, factors affecting the recent performance of the market.
• Forecasts for barbecue sales and factors influencing trends.
• Mix of barbecues by type – charcoal, gas - share by value and volume, continuing growth of gas barbecues, other product trends.
• Changing nature of the product mix in the barbecue sector and key drivers for this change.
• Future prospects for the barbecue and accessories markets.
• Major manufacturers/suppliers of barbecues, brand shares for 2013, company information. Other suppliers involved in the manufacturing or distribution of barbecues and associated products.
• Distribution channels for barbecues and major chains/companies involved in each channel.
GARDEN LEISURE AND BARBECUE ACCESSORIES
• Barbecue and accessory fuel market, size by value and recent trends.
• Leisure accessory products including – fire pits, chimeneas etc – changing trends, environmental issues etc.
• Key suppliers for each of the above areas.
For the purposes of this report, the Garden Leisure market is divided into three sectors: Garden Furniture, Barbecues and Accessories (including cooking utensils, fuel, patio heaters, etc.). The market was estimated to be worth £508 million in 2013, reflecting growth of 12% from £455 million in 2012. Expenditure on garden leisure products has been volatile in recent years due to a combination of key factors - consumer confidence, the economic climate, and the weather.
Our estimate for this market includes garden leisure products for the domestic market only. A wider definition of the market, to include contract furniture/equipment for pubs, hotels and public spaces, would encompass a larger market and would be valued at a much higher level as a result. Also, our market value for furniture does not include cushions/upholstery.
Positive drivers for this market include: good weather on bank holiday weekends, sporting events and the trend for greater utilisation of outdoor space. Garden furniture is the largest sector and accounts for the majority of market value with a share of over 60% in 2013, followed by barbecue accessories and barbecue equipment.
The garden furniture market is dominated by 3 materials: wood, metal and plastic (including rattan style). Metal and plastic have gained share at the expense of wood as consumers move away from traditional towards more contemporary styles. The plastic category has been boosted in recent years by the popularity of rattan style garden
furniture made of all-weather plastic materials which are resistant to the weather.
The barbeque sector has benefited from the trend to trade up from charcoal to gas barbecues, the increasing interest in dining outside and added value from product development. Own brands dominate this sector of the market accounting for an estimated 45-55% share.
Garden leisure products are increasingly sourced and manufactured abroad, particularly in the Far East and Eastern Europe, where production costs are much lower than in the UK. The main route to market for garden leisure products is through DIY multiples which dominate the market with an estimated 44% market share.
Garden centres are losing share in this sector, as garden furniture sales in particular are moving away from garden centres. The trend towards greater internet sales is continuing – both from specialists and general retailers. The garden centre market is dominated by a number of large national and regional groups and there has been some consolidation in this market which is expected to continue in the coming years.
Sales will always be subject to the impact of the weather which can cause wide fluctuations on an annual basis, but our estimates for the garden leisure market for 2014 and beyond, are for good underlying growth given continued improvement in the economy and favourable weather. The trend for outdoor dining and use of the garden as for socialising which has benefited the garden leisure market and been driven by lifestyle media, is likely to continue.
Other factors driving growth in the garden leisure market in the medium to long term include; a general interest in environmentally friendly products creating added value, continued media interest in the garden as an aspirational living space, continued product development and a general trend towards higher quality/value products in both furniture and barbecues, though average prices for better quality products have fallen in real terms.
Overall, the garden leisure sector is likely to remain a vibrant market, with plenty of suppliers and a wide range of products on offer. Future product developments are likely to be driven by fashion, demographics and housing/garden styles and sizes. The ageing population will result in more people having time to spend in the garden – with older age groups more inclined to use barbecues than 15-20 years ago.
Get Industry Insights. Simply.
Talk to Veronica
+1 718 514 2762
China’s demand for Outdoor Furniture has grown at a fast pace in the past decade. In the next decade, both production and demand will continue to grow. The Chinese economy maintains a high speed growth ...
China’s demand for Lawn and Garden Equipment has grown at a fast pace in the past decade. In the next decade, both production and demand will continue to grow. The Chinese economy maintains a high speed ...
About Outdoor Furniture The demand for outdoor furniture has increased, driven by growth in the outdoor landscaping market in the US. Consumers' purchase decisions for outdoor furniture are largely influenced ...